Better TV without satellite dish?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]The digital stuff doesn’t include the analogue ones, as they stay analogue…
You only get a selection of extra channels with really bad digital compression artefacts.
It really wasn’t worth the extra money, but supposedly they’ve improved the quality now, as their website is touting 1080p content, but I haven’t tried that.[/quote]

Not be signing up for that then. I need my TVBS and Super channel.

Well, it’s not as if you lose the analog stuff, the digital ones are just additional on top of that

According to the blurb here, I will be paying for analogue and digital, making NT$3,100 (analogue) + NT$1,120 (digital) = NT$4,220 semi-annually, or NT$703 a month versus NT$517 for analogue only.

Really not worth an extra NT$200 a month?

No, not really, not unless you’re dying for BBC News, the Australia Network and Bloomberg… well, there are a couple of more channels, like some extra discovery channels and what not if you get the whole package. Let’s not forget the “wink wink, nod nod” channels :smiley:

Yes I see. I think I’d rather get a dish put up to be honest. At least I know what I’m getting there. I had (legit) Dream TV from Satellite TV when I was in Shanghai and it worked fine, but I think I’d go for DSTV now… And I’m not sure IPTV is going to be much cop in Hsin Tien (or however they spell it these days). Not enough internet horsepower I’m told.

I just don’t think I can take any more stories about deep fat fryer oil or Chen Shui Bian’s gazillions.

Are there versions of Discovery and National Geographic that don’t just license BBC nature programmes or broadcast adverts for the arms industry?

And the BBC and CNN “news channels” are a joke.

I’ll just have to go to Shanghai and buy some hookey DVDs. :cry:

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]Yes I see. I think I’d rather get a dish put up to be honest. At least I know what I’m getting there. I had (legit) Dream TV from Satellite TV when I was in Shanghai and it worked fine, but I think I’d go for DSTV now… And I’m not sure IPTV is going to be much cop in Hsin Tien (Xindian) (or however they spell it these days). Not enough internet horsepower I’m told. I just don’t think I can take any more stories about deep fat fryer oil or Chen Shui Bian’s gazillions.

Are there versions of Discovery and National Geographic that don’t just license BBC nature programmes or broadcast adverts for the arms industry? And the BBC and CNN “news channels” are a joke.

I’ll just have to go to Shanghai and buy some hookey DVDs. :cry:[/quote]

Plenty of speed. I have quite a few clients in Hsindien using my IPTV service and the net there is fine. A dish is better though if you can have one.

Yes plenty of good programs on Discovery… better yet are the Knowledge and the three Exploration channels on the Thai satellite they carry really good content as well with shows not seen on Discovery and Nat Geo Animal Planet

NEWS: Australia Network, Aljazeera, Ariang TV, SKY NEWS UK, BBC World, Bloomberg Asia, Bloomberg Europe , CNBC, CNN, CCTV9, Dawn News, EXPRESS NEWS, NHK World, TV5 Asia, TV5 Afrique

MUSIC: Chick Channel, Channel V, Channel O, Fashion TV, MTV CHINA, MTV EUROPE, True Music

SERIES: AXN, AXN BEYOND, Channel E, E News / Learn, Inside E, XZYT, Mnet Series, Mnet East, Star World, True Series, BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle, Hallmark Asia, Hallmark International, FETV

MOVIES: Action X, Cinemax, HBO, HBO Family, HBO Hits, HBO Signature, MNET STARS, Mnet Movies 1, Mnet movies 2, MGM Movies, Mnet Stars, Star Movies, Turner Classic Movies Asia, True Movie Hits, True Film Asia

KIDS: Cartoon Network Asia, Cartoon Network UK, Disney Asia, Disney Playhouse, Disney South Africa, Spark, GO, Kaidy, Nickelodean

RELIGIOUS: CGN TV, EWTN, RHEMA, GOD ASIA, SUPREME MASTER

EDUCATIONAL: Africa Mag, Gem TV, NET25, Knowledge Channel, Animal Planet, EXPLORE 1, EXPLORE 2, EXPLORE 3, Discovery International, Discovery Asia, Discovery Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Travel, Discovery Turbo, The Travel Channel, National Geographic International, National Geograpic Asia, National Geopgrapic Adventure, Zone Reality, History Asia, History International

SPORTS: All Sports Network ( NHL NFL College Football College Basketball ) Supersports 1 - 7, ESPN International, Tsports (thai) DD Sports, True Sports 1 - 5, Truesports Extra 1-2. ESPN STAR THAILAND, CLUB CHANNELS… Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool, Manchester United

There are also 70 satellite radio channels on the package as well… so nearly 200 channels in all.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]Yes I see. I think I’d rather get a dish put up to be honest. At least I know what I’m getting there. I had (legit) Dream TV from Satellite TV when I was in Shanghai and it worked fine, but I think I’d go for DSTV now… And I’m not sure IPTV is going to be much cop in Hsin Tien (Xindian) (Xindian) (or however they spell it these days). Not enough internet horsepower I’m told. I just don’t think I can take any more stories about deep fat fryer oil or Chen Shui Bian’s gazillions.

Are there versions of Discovery and National Geographic that don’t just license BBC nature programmes or broadcast adverts for the arms industry? And the BBC and CNN “news channels” are a joke.

I’ll just have to go to Shanghai and buy some hookey DVDs. :cry:[/quote]

Plenty of speed. I have quite a few clients in Hsindien (Xindian) using my IPTV service and the net there is fine. A dish is better though if you can have one.

Yes plenty of good programs on Discovery… better yet are the Knowledge and the three Exploration channels on the Thai satellite they carry really good content as well with shows not seen on Discovery and Nat Geo Animal Planet

NEWS: Australia Network, Aljazeera, Ariang TV, SKY NEWS UK, BBC World, Bloomberg Asia, Bloomberg Europe , CNBC, CNN, CCTV9, Dawn News, EXPRESS NEWS, NHK World, TV5 Asia, TV5 Afrique

MUSIC: Chick Channel, Channel V, Channel O, Fashion TV, MTV CHINA, MTV EUROPE, True Music

SERIES: AXN, AXN BEYOND, Channel E, E News / Learn, Inside E, XZYT, Mnet Series, Mnet East, Star World, True Series, BBC Entertainment, BBC Lifestyle, Hallmark Asia, Hallmark International, FETV

MOVIES: Action X, Cinemax, HBO, HBO Family, HBO Hits, HBO Signature, MNET STARS, Mnet Movies 1, Mnet movies 2, MGM Movies, Mnet Stars, Star Movies, Turner Classic Movies Asia, True Movie Hits, True Film Asia

KIDS: Cartoon Network Asia, Cartoon Network UK, Disney Asia, Disney Playhouse, Disney South Africa, Spark, GO, Kaidy, Nickelodean

RELIGIOUS: CGN TV, EWTN, RHEMA, GOD ASIA, SUPREME MASTER

EDUCATIONAL: Africa Mag, Gem TV, NET25, Knowledge Channel, Animal Planet, EXPLORE 1, EXPLORE 2, EXPLORE 3, Discovery International, Discovery Asia, Discovery Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Travel, Discovery Turbo, The Travel Channel, National Geographic International, National Geograpic Asia, National Geopgrapic Adventure, Zone Reality, History Asia, History International

SPORTS: All Sports Network ( NHL NFL College Football College Basketball ) Supersports 1 - 7, ESPN International, Tsports (thai) DD Sports, True Sports 1 - 5, Truesports Extra 1-2. ESPN STAR THAILAND, CLUB CHANNELS… Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool, Manchester United

There are also 70 satellite radio channels on the package as well… so nearly 200 channels in all.

[/quote]

So whats the pricing for this package? I live in Yong He. My community won’t allow dishes so IPTV is the only way I could go. I don’t really want to waste your time having you call over to my house for me to then realise it’s too expensive for what it is.
I’ve be watching football and rugby online for a few years now and it’s always when the big games are on that the streaming ends up being crap. Can you offer any guarantees that your signal is up to scratch? (I understand that there are no absolutes when talking about streaming tv)

[quote=“irishmoe”]So whats the pricing for this package? I live in Yonghe. My community won’t allow dishes so IPTV is the only way I could go. I don’t really want to waste your time having you call over to my house for me to then realise it’s too expensive for what it is.

I’ve be watching football and rugby online for a few years now and it’s always when the big games are on that the streaming ends up being crap. Can you offer any guarantees that your signal is up to scratch? (I understand that there are no absolutes when talking about streaming tv)[/quote]

All prices are on my website taiwansatellite.tv under MPEG4 STREAMING which is linked in my signature. Prices can range from NT$2000 a month to NT$4,000 a month depending on the package bought, which includes the 2.2mb fixed ip uploading bandwidth on fiber for each client on our side.

We dont have any problems with speed using dedicated bandwidth. So you wont be having speed issues when the big games are on, or when many people are online on the weekends. We stream packages not just a particular event or sports games.

Your free online streaming doesnt hold up as it is shared bandwidth between many users. Ours is dedicated bandwidth to each individual, not shared. We can always guarantee that our streaming speeds are more than fast enough for streaming at the quality of the pictures you see above.

A typo in your link. As you know, should be:

taiwansatellite.tv/

I checked it out and couldn’t figure out what DreamTV (or any of the others) cost. Maybe I’m missing something.

It’s also not clear to me if these packages have Chinese subtitling (which I absolutely must have). If DreamTV is out of the Philippines (as the web site states), am I correct in assuming that it does not have Chinese subtitling? Also, does the package have local Taiwanese news stations (saw no mention of that).

cheers,
DB

A typo in your link. As you know, should be: taiwansatellite.tv/

I checked it out and couldn’t figure out what DreamTV (or any of the others) cost. Maybe I’m missing something.

It’s also not clear to me if these packages have Chinese subtitling (which I absolutely must have). If DreamTV is out of the Philippines (as the web site states), am I correct in assuming that it does not have Chinese subtitling? Also, does the package have local Taiwanese news stations (saw no mention of that). cheers,DB[/quote]

You need to click on the MPEG4 streaming link. NONE of the channels have CHINESE subtitles except the TVBS channels which are listed on the package.

If you must have Chinese subtitles then just stick with cable TV.

I see all those channels and I go drooldrooldrool…

Someday, when we have Telemundo, Univision, TVE, or -dare I dream- OGLOBO in these parts of the world, I’m setting up the dish, even if I have to pin it to my landlord’s head.

[quote=“Icon”]I see all those channels and I go drooldrooldrool…

Someday, when we have Telemundo, Univision, TVE, or -dare I dream- OGLOBO in these parts of the world, I’m setting up the dish, even if I have to pin it to my landlord’s head.[/quote]

TVE you can get here I just dont put it on my streaming services but I have it at home even though I am not a Spanish speaker.