BEWARE the 50$ COINS!

Hey All,
Friendly “warning”. In the past two weeks, a very good , close, personal person of mine has been handed off the old 50$ coins from cabbies. Let me stress, only cabbies. I have also had this happen once and it has all been in the past two weeks. Watch yourselves, they are out to get you!

Does the Bank of Taiwan still redeem these old NT$ 50 coins? Or are they totally invalid for circulation here in Taiwan?

here’s a list of the Taiwan coins
cbc.gov.tw/EngHome/eissue/Coins.asp

The first $50 coin is the legal one, the next 2 are old ones. It does say the Bank of Taiwan will redeem them.

correct coins:

old coins:

You don’t necessarily need to go to the Bank of Taiwan to change them. Some other banks will still accept them for deposit and change them with the central bank for you. The bi-metal TWD50 coins went out of circulation on June 30, so it has been a while since they should have been out of the market.

[quote=“Moto-Monkey”]Hey All,
Friendly “warning”. In the past two weeks, a very good , close, personal person of mine has been handed off the old 50$ coins from cabbies. Let me stress, only cabbies. I have also had this happen once and it has all been in the past two weeks. Watch yourselves, they are out to get you![/quote]
Actually, this is a good chance for you to unload them yourself. When I was going to the train station by taxi with a lot of luggage, the driver tried this with me. I guess he thought it was my first trip to Taiwan. I gave him two 100 NT bills, and he gave me one of the old, useless coins in change. I said I didn’t want it, and he insisted it was a new one. So I took my two 100 bills back, rooted around in my bag, and found thee old 50 NT coins and paid him with them. He could hardly refuse to take them, since he had just told me they were OK.

:laughing: That’s the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time! :bravo: :smiley: :bravo: :notworthy:

I actually got an old 100NT note the other day (from a 7-11, I think). I took it the Farmer’s Bank or Land Bank or somethign, and they changed it for me.

Brian