Bib shorts or regular shorts?

I have one pair of bib shorts (Santini) and one pair of regular cycling shorts (Capo, custom-made for my local bike shop back in the States). Both have great chamois pads, but they’re getting a bit worn, particularly the bib shorts, which now have a butt-exposing hole in them next to the pad. I’m not sure if they wear out faster because I have bad riding technique or don’t stand up enough or what, but I find myself in need of some good shorts.

At the moment I’d rather spend a little bit more for some good bib shorts, but I can’t afford to pay the NT$6000 that I paid for my Santini shorts when I bought them in Tianmu a couple years ago. Does anyone know where I can find some cheaper but still well padded shorts suitable for long rides? I’m thinking Pearl Izumi might be a good choice, but as far as I know they don’t have an outlet store in Taiwan.

If you feel like bib shorts (can I call them bibbers?) aren’t the way to go, by all means point me to some regular shorts that are better. I just feel like the bib shorts tend to stay in place better, and that seems to leave my butt in better shape. (It didn’t feel so good after my 153 km Beiheng ride last Tuesday!)

Yesterday I swung by the big Merida on Ruiguang Lu in Neihu to get a new nut for my front fender. While there, I had a look at the shorts. They had a bunch of regular Pearl Izumi shorts for around NT$4000. There were some bib shorts from another brand–I forget the name–but they were all smalls. The guy at the counter said they’d get some new shorts in April, so I might check back then, but four thousand is not an encouraging price, even with the 10% discount they offer.

I can’t be doing with the prices, they’re not what I’d call reasonable (sub NT$2000!).
Don’t think I’ve bought a single piece of cycle wear here, get everything from UK when I’m back - in store or online.

Never worn bib shorts though, so no comment on that.

Bibs!

I’ve got a brand new pair of Craft bibs sitting in the cupboard, size large, just not my ‘cut’. Take NT$2500 for them if interested. Cost £70.

wiggle.co.uk/craft-performan … orts-2012/

Wiggle now does free delivery to Taiwan for only a GBP125 spend.

Never done it, but am very close to putting an order with them. Looking at another pair of Northwave shoes, and just need to add GBP23 for free delivery.
Could combine, if you’re interested. Of course, returns are a problem - you got to be sure on the size.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

I’ve been using Atlas bib shorts for a few years now. They’re fantastic. They fit really well and the padding is exactly where it’s needed.
It was a big step in confort over the plain shorts types. Everything stays put while pedalling, seated or standing.
They’re locally made and relatively inexpensive. I think I paid abt. 2,500 NT for each pair. I ordered through my LBS, as I wanted to have the option of making sure it fit prior to paying, but I’m sure you can order online if you’re sure abt size.
tw.mall.yahoo.com/store/atlas -->scroll down to find the bibs

bibs seem like a great idea to me, as it would keep your shorts from sliding down… HOWEVER, I can’t see how one can piss with them on. Do you really have to take your shirt off and piss when you go for your side-of-the-road 100km in piss ?

I can pull my bib shorts down far enough in front to take a leak without having to take off my shirt. Going number two, on the other hand, is much trickier, but then again, it always is when you’ve got a bike you want to keep in your line of sight so it doesn’t get stolen.

Thanks for the recommendation, Wookiee! Do you happen to know any shops that stock Atlas shorts so I can go check them out?

Nuit, I may take you up on that offer if the shorts I’m trying on this week don’t fit. Wiggle is awesome–I got my Tubus front rack from them, and the shipping was ridiculously cheap.

BIbs are the bizness, seriously. Pissing with them on is like haokaiyang says, or pull one of the pants legs up enough (does tend to get a bit tight!).

However, remember to always have enough of a crap in the morning BEFORE you get dressed for your ride. Even if it means walking around naked with your first coffee.

Bibs prices in Taiwan are ridonkulous, though. Buy overseas, look at Probike, or Planet bike, or Wiggle, or Jensons for closeout deals. Assos Uno are very nice, my faves, also the Santini. Champion System seem to last longer but the material is harder and less flexy. BUt a pair of bibs that costs 100 bucks will last for years, and if you ride many miles a week, that amortises out to fek all for comfort that’s worth much more than that. Remember to always wash bibs in a mesh bag, liner pointing outwards for effective scrubbing, or the arm loops get pulled to buggery.

[quote=“urodacus”]BIbs are the bizness, seriously. Pissing with them on is like haokaiyang says, or pull one of the pants legs up enough (does tend to get a bit tight!).

However, remember to always have enough of a crap in the morning BEFORE you get dressed for your ride. Even if it means walking around naked with your first coffee.

Bibs prices in Taiwan are ridonkulous, though. Buy overseas, look at Probike, or Planet bike, or Wiggle, or Jensons for closeout deals. Assos Uno are very nice, my faves, also the Santini. Champion System seem to last longer but the material is harder and less flexy. BUt a pair of bibs that costs 100 bucks will last for years, and if you ride many miles a week, that amortises out to fek all for comfort that’s worth much more than that. Remember to always wash bibs in a mesh bag, liner pointing outwards for effective scrubbing, or the arm loops get pulled to buggery.[/quote]

Well put! :thumbsup:

I don’t know of any bike shops that carry that stock. A bike shop will put their commission on top, so you would be better off ordering online. I have a fairly decent LBS owner who doesn’t rip me off, and that was how I got my first pair. That was about THREE years ago now! I got the second pair by myself just 6 moths ago. I put a lot of miles on the first pair, and the wear and tear is quite slight.

Has anyone tried DHB bib shorts? Their top-end Aeron Pro shorts look like they would be good for Taiwan’s hot summer, and the chamois looks quite comfortable. As much as I’m tempted to spring for a pair of Assos Milles, I really can’t afford to shell out that much cash right now.

While we’re on the subject of shorts and long rides, does anyone use chamois cream? I bought some Assos chamois “creme” last year, but honestly it doesn’t seem to make much difference, no matter whether I rub it on the shorts or directly onto my butt. Am I supposed to carry it with me and apply it throughout the ride or what? That seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

Ass butter: I’m told that it’s useful for wanking, and not much more.

Assos shorts… love them, but yea pricey, they will fix any genuine faults and repair at cost. I had an issue with the grippers on my Mille shorts, they replaced, no questions.

Cream, I don’t ride without it (rides over 40 mins), never used it for the above, too pricey! You have to be pretty generous, it’s more smoother than turkey baste.

I have to fess up, I’ve never used it for either riding or wanking. But it’s ikky… who’d rub gunk on their junk for funk?

I did receive the free complimentary jar with each of my Assos bibs, but why use it? Just ride heaps and develop a tough piece of leather for an ass and it becomes a moot point.

I just use it as hair gel now. Super strong and 50s-look hold, but hard to wash out.

That’s too late. I’ll always remember you for the latter :thumbsup:.

The bib as a garment has never appealed to me, it reminds me of the time when I tried on trousers braces and hated the way the buckles dug into my shoulders.
But the love for the bib in this thread is making me reconsider, and I’ve nearly worn a hole in my favourite Izumi shorts.

I have been using both the bib version and the shorts version of the Skins compression pro shorts for the last 2 years. I find the bibs are a solution looking for a problem as the shorts never do anything or go anywhere I don’t want them to, so the bibs won’t be replaced once they’ve seen the end of their days on the saddle. In addition to the minor annoyance of the bibs for ‘comfort breaks’ I find the extra layer of fabric on the lower torso and back isn’t too desirable in Taiwan’s sweltering summers. YMMV.

I’ve never tried arse cream either, never felt the need. Good quality chamois does the job fine for me even on 150km+ rides.