Bible Passage of the Day

What’s Mrs. Phillips’s favorite verse? :thinking:

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?

3 Likes

Jesus again setting the bar impossibly high. And many Muslim’s laugh at the Christian faith because of passages like this. From Luke 6.

27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart; and you will find rest. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
—Matthew 11:25-30

3 Likes

–1 Kings 19:11-12 (New International Version)

1 Like

Matthew 6:34
“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Or in the words of Charlie Brown.

3 Likes

Example of that passage in action:

3 Likes

Cyberpunk 2077 developers ask for basic human decency after receiving death threats over game delay

The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.
-Genesis 6:1-6

1 Like

Ecclesiastes 1:1-11 (NIV)

Everything Is Meaningless

1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

2 Likes

This might be because of that:

Deuteronomy 23:1 ESV

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

She crushes your balls, you go to hell.

2 Likes

10 And Samuel told all the words of the Lord unto the people that asked of him a king.
11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.
16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.
17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.
18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the Lord will not hear you in that day.
19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;
20 That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles.
21 And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he rehearsed them in the ears of the Lord.
22 And the Lord said to Samuel, Hearken unto their voice, and make them a king

1 Like

Huh? Of course I thought this referred to the animal, but from the context it seems to refer to people and their butts instead :rofl:

2 Likes

I always liked James

5 Likes

From Matthew, quoting the Man himself:

“When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men."

5 Likes

Now you are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

1 Cor. 12:27

The love chapter.

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

5 Likes

By chance read a real good book recently (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40647457-god-is-good-for-you), and it made me think about the role of spirituality, liturgy and tradition in a religious life.
I’ve always gone to an Anglican church. My impression is there is a drive to do away with all the traditional stuff in attempt to make it more accessible, and my feeling is that’s common among protestant churches. When I think about Church services, I feel some of the most impactful parts are the prayers from the Common Book of Prayer and Communion. But in my local church communion is done less often, and the prayer books are rarely opened.
I came to several realisations. Among them, one is the absolute misconception of what prayer is. Most people pray for intercession. Think about the Lord’s prayer and how much of that is intercession. Its primary purpose, I feel, is to commune and give thanks. (I’ve always had trouble with the idea of intercessory prayer, too - if things are already going to happen according to God’s will why would our prayers make any difference… but that’s a different topic)
The other thing is that spiritual activities is absolutely a lost art. The closest many people come to it is singing in Church. I’m interested in learning about liturgy of other churches. I recently baught Saint Augistine’s prayer book and am looking at similar things such as Ignatius’ spiritual exercises. I want to find out more. Faith is more than going to church on Sunday and asking God for a Mercedez Benz, but that’s not how it’s been taught to our generations.
Basically I think there’s a spiritual dimension to life that’s been lost in our materialistic consumerist culture.

3 Likes

I really like your post. I like how you are exploring, well, life. I’ve had a few, though, and this comment of yours made me think of this more than anything:

5 Likes

Lol, yeah my dad would sometimes sing this for some reason; I was reminded of it while I was writing that

3 Likes

Micah 4:4. This was quoted in the inaugural poem by this child prodigy.

Everyone will sit under their own vine and under their own fig tree, and no one will make them afraid, for the LORD Almighty has spoken.

Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree and no one shall make them afraid. If we’re to live up to her own time, then victory won’t lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we’ve made. That is the promise to glade, the hill we climb if only we dare. It’s because being American is more than a pride we inherit. It’s the past we step into and how we repair it. We’ve seen a forest that would shatter our nation rather than share it. Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy. This effort very nearly succeeded.

2 Likes