Bible Passage of the Day

Very inspiring. I appreciate the motivation to better the planet.

@marasan Thank you for the motivation to dig further into scripture. Keep up the work of goodness!

3 Likes

Yes assist all but, karma does not prevail , Jesus prevails.

2 Likes

Karma is the wheel that balances word and action, whether good, evil, or neutral, and will always prevail.

Christ is the King.

2 Likes

What’s love got to do with it? Well, everything according to the Apostle Paul.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8
1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.

3 Likes

Love is at the heart of the Christian message (no pun intended).

3 Likes

There’s also “infused righteousness.” God makes you more righteous.

2 Likes

3 Likes

What happened to John? Wandered off into the wild for a bit I suppose.

1 Like

Don’t just do something, sit there. When the problem is too big for you to handle, often the best thing to do is to give it over to God and be still.

Exodus 14:14
The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.

2 Likes

John is not thought of as one of the synoptic gospels.

1 Like

John is 90% different.

1 Like

Psalm 36:9 (NIV)
For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.

“We need no candle to see the sun, we see it by its own radiance, and then see everything else by the same luster. The knowledge of God sheds light on all other subjects.”
Charles Spurgeon

This inspired riddle teaches us that in order to understand anything in life, we must first come to God, the Fountain of Life, and then see everything from His perspective.

You will never understand yourself or others until you see yourself and others in the light of the Lord. You will never understand marriage and family until you see it in the light of the Lord. You will never understand money and career until you see it in the light of the Lord. You will never understand mission and purpose in life until you see it in the light of the Lord. You will never understand anything until you see it in the light of the Lord.

3 Likes

After 35 years of faithful and (mostly) happy marriage. three kids, a couple of grandkids, I wait with bated breath for some Christian to finally explain it all to me.

(I normally don’t comment on this thread if it’s just somebody quoting the Bible, but if you are giving your own opinion you can expect a reply.)

Yeah really. I think I have a grip on it, thanks.

I shared the above from my phone and so was lazy about using the quote function. None of the above is my opinion. “In your light we see light” from Psalm 36:9 stopped me in my tracks when I read it and so I investigated. I saw several different interpretations and I even looked at the original Hebrew. I settled on the above interpretation. I’m not sure I am ready to or even interested in defending the above interpretation. At this point, I like it and that’s about it. More related to my motive, I believe it’s a good interpretation of what the writer of this Psalm was trying to convey (many interpretations bring Jesus into the picture which I don’t think is a good way to interpret many parts of the Old Testament).

I’m happy for you and your marriage and family situation. Not many Christians will be able to “explain it all” to you because we’re as messed up as everyone else!

2 Likes

Since it’s Palm Sunday, here’s some Bayesian analysis in John 12. The disciples didn’t know what Jesus was doing when he held a palm leaf and rode a donkey into Jerusalem. It was only after the glorification (crucifixion + resurrection + ascension) when they realized that what happened was Jesus fulfilling prophecy.

12 ¶ On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.
14 And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as it is written,
15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt.
16 These things aunderstood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.

3 Likes

Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Who are the poor in spirit? Here, let me show you.

Luke 18:9-14
9 To some who were confident of their own
righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Of the two Greek words translated “poor” in the New Testament, penes designates the working poor who own little or no property. People in this state possess little in the way of material goods, but they earn what they have through their daily labor.

This, therefore, is not the word used in the beatitude in Matthew 5:3, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Here, “poor” is translated from ptochos, which literally means “to crouch or cower as one helpless.” It signifies the beggar, the pauper, one in abject poverty, totally dependent on others for help and destitute of even the necessities of life.

https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/923/Poor-Spirit.htm

3 Likes

“Shew me wherefore thou contendest with me.” — Job 10:2

Job 10:2 (The Message version)
Job prayed: "Here’s what I want to say: Don’t, God, bring in a verdict of guilty without letting me know the charges you’re bringing.

Perhaps, O tried soul, the Lord is doing this to develop thy graces. There are some of thy graces which would never be discovered if it were not for thy trials. Dost thou not know that thy faith never looks so grand in summer weather as it does in winter? Love is too often like a glow-worm, showing but little light except it be in the midst of surrounding darkness. Hope itself is like a star-not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity. Afflictions are often the black foils in which God doth set the jewels of His children’s graces, to make them shine the better. It was but a little while ago that on thy knees thou wast saying, “Lord, I fear I have no faith: let me know that I have faith.” Was not this really, though perhaps unconsciously, praying for trials?-for how canst thou know that thou hast faith until thy faith is exercised? Depend upon it, God often sends us trials that our graces may be discovered, and that we may be certified of their existence. Besides, it is not merely discovery, real growth in grace is the result of sanctified trials. God often takes away our comforts and our privileges in order to make us better Christians. He trains His soldiers, not in tents of ease and luxury, but by turning them out and using them to forced marches and hard service. He makes them ford through streams, and swim through rivers, and climb mountains, and walk many a long mile with heavy knapsacks of sorrow on their backs. Well, Christian, may not this account for the troubles through which thou art passing? Is not the Lord bringing out your graces, and making them grow? Is not this the reason why He is contending with you?

"Trials make the promise sweet;
Trials give new life to prayer;
Trials bring me to His feet,
Lay me low, and keep me there."
Charles Spurgeon

1 Like

Colossians 3:15 (NIV)
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Colossians 3:15
Amplified Bible, Classic Edition
And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].

As Paul wrote in Colossians 3:15. He said, “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” I especially want you to notice the word “rule” in this verse. It is from the Greek word brabeuo, which in ancient times was used to describe the umpire or referee who moderated and judged the athletic competitions that were so popular in the ancient world. Paul uses this word to tell us that the peace of God can work like an umpire or referee in our hearts, minds, and emotions. When detrimental emotions attempt to exert control over us or try to throw us into an emotional frenzy, we can stop it from happening by making the choice to let God’s peace rise up from deep inside us like an umpire or referee to moderate our emotions. As we do, we will be kept under the control of that divine peace as it rules in our hearts. When this divine umpire called “peace” steps into the game, it suddenly begins to call the shots and make all the decisions instead of fretfulness, anxiety, and worry.
Colossians 3:15 could be translated:
“Let the peace of God call the shots in your life.” “Let the peace of God be the umpire in your life and actions.” “Let the peace of God act as referee in your emotions and your decisions.”

rule
βραβευέτω (brabeuetō)
Strong’s 1018: (lit: to act as arbiter in the games), I rule, arbitrate. From the same as brabeion; to arbitrate, i.e. to govern.

2 Likes

What’s that?