Bible Passage of the Day

3 Likes

Words are added to help with understanding. It’s often very helpful for me.

2 Likes

I’ll be sharing that with some of my Christian friends.

2 Likes

Yeah, tell them some donkey on the internet did that^^

3 Likes

Btw need to plug in the correct terminal, otherwise will hear some weird noise or backwards satanic sounding gibberish. Be careful ;=)

2 Likes

3 Likes

Now that was funny

1 Like

Hand all your worries over to Jesus.

1 Like

Life is tough. The Bible not only acknowledges this fact, it embraces it. I really like that.

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

The certainty of trouble applies, not only to Jesus’s disciples, but to all who follow him. The Apostle Paul stated bluntly in 2 Timothy 3:12, “Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” Anyone who claims that believing in Jesus brings financial prosperity, physical health, and perfect relationships hasn’t read his Bible. Life is tough and the Christian life is often tougher. The Bible, far from dodging this fact, acknowledges it and embraces it. Jesus himself guaranteed it. And instead of promising to eliminate trouble from our lives, Jesus instead promises to give peace and comfort in the midst of trouble.

3 Likes

Written by the Apostle Paul from a Roman dungeon.

Philippians 4:11-13
11 I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

So how do we “do all this through him who gives me strength”? That is, how do we learn the secret of contentment through Christ? John Piper provides this insight, which I find helpful:

“Experiencing Christ as more valuable and more satisfying than anything in this world is the secret of contentment in plenty and hunger, and the secret of magnifying Christ in life and death” and “So, what is your ultimate purpose in life? The answer is that your ultimate purpose is to make much of Christ — his beauty, his value, his greatness. And you do that by treasuring him above everything in the world. Which, as it turns out, is also the secret of unshakable contentment.”

1 Like

Eureka! Eureka!

Hebrews 4:16 (King James Version)

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

First the why (we can come boldly unto the throne of grace), then the how, and finally one of the benefits.

Why can we come boldly unto the throne of grace?

Jesus is described as a merciful and faithful high priest in Hebrews 2:17, and He accomplished propitiation for sin (or the satisfaction of God’s wrath because of sin). In the Mosaic Law, the high priest would intercede on behalf of the people. The priest would bring sacrifices to God on behalf of the people of Israel and would do so repeatedly, as the law prescribed. While ordinarily the high priest would bring the sacrifice, Jesus Himself was the sacrifice. His personal sacrifice was an incredible act of mercy, and He could be the sacrifice because He had become like those for whom He was giving Himself up (Hebrews 2:17). Because of Jesus the High Priest, we can come boldly to the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16).

Because Jesus was a man, He could be our substitution—He could stand in our place to pay the price for sin: death. None of us can finish paying the price because our debt is so great and we have nothing left with which to pay it. He could pay the price in our place as a man. Because Jesus was God, He had no sin of His own and He could arise from the grave showing that He conquered sin and death. His one-time sacrifice was enough (Hebrews 9:26). Because of Him we can now come boldly to the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16)—not on our own merits, bringing our own sacrifice—but on His merit and His sacrifice.

How are we to come boldly unto the throne of grace?

Hebrews 4:16 invites us to “come boldly unto the throne of grace.” The word “boldly” comes from the word parresia, a Greek word that was used in ancient times to refer to freedom of speech. It normally depicts a person who speaks his mind and who does it straightforwardly and with great confidence.

The word parresia in Hebrews 4:16 tells us several important things. First, we know that whenever we approach the Lord in prayer, we need never fear that we are too frank, too bold, too forthright, too honest, too outspoken, or even too blunt when we bare our hearts to Him or request His help. We should never be irreverent, but neither do we need to be ashamed to speak exactly what is on our hearts.

Second, the use of the word parresia tells us that God will not rebuke us for telling Him exactly what we think. Even if we are wrong, it will not bother God when we’re honest with Him.

What is one of the benefits of coming boldly unto the throne of grace?

Hebrews 4:16 continues to say that you can also “find grace to help in time of need.”

The word “find” is a translation of the Greek word eurisko. The word eurisko simply means to find. It expresses the idea of a discovery that is made by searching.

Usually the word eurisko points to a discovery made due to an intense investigation, scientific study, or scholarly research. After working long hours and searching extensively, the time and effort finally pay off as the researcher finds what he has been seeking. In that ecstatic moment of euphoria, he shrieks, “Eureka!” — which means, “I found it!” In fact, the word “eureka” is derived from the word eurisko that is translated “find” in Hebrews 4:16, informing us of the joy experienced when a seeker finds what he has sought for so long.

Maybe you’ve sought God’s help for a long time. Perhaps you’ve prayed for it and searched for it. You’ve heeded Jesus’ word to ask, seek, and knock (see Matthew 7:8; Luke 11:10). And you’ve been persistent like the woman who knocked on the judge’s door and never gave up (see Luke 18:1-8). You have knocked and knocked and knocked — and you have sought and sought and sought. Finally, the door opens and you receive the help you needed. You have every right to shout, “Eureka! I’ve found it! I’ve received it! I have it!”

Sources:

2 Likes