Biceps injury

Anyone ever have one?

I have no idea how I did it, but I injured my bicep a few weeks ago, heck, maybe a month ago, and the damned thing will not heal. At first I thought it was my deltoid, because I had difficulty lifting that arm up in the air. When I’d raise both arms to apply shampoo in the shower, for instance, that shoulder hurt like hell and quickly grew tired so it was hard just holding that arm up. It’s not as bad as it was, but it still hurts like hell when I reach around backwards with that arm.

In any event, after two or three weeks of the injury my wife made me go to the hospital, where the first doc immediately guessed that it was bicep, not deltoid, and I realized she’s right. They also did a soft-tissue echo exam (like a sonogram) but the doc didn’t see anything. That doc’s comment was that the ligament looked ordinary, so I googled biceps injuries and learned that often they’re gruesome – apparently the tendon connecting the bicep to the shoulder will tear off, surgery is needed and takes a long, long time to recover.

But despite the difficulty raising my arm, the pain’s not in my shoulder – it’s in the middle of the bicep, the part that sticks up when one bends the arm and flexes the bicep. It’s not nearly as bad as the tendon being ripped loose, but it definitely hurts, a stabbing pain in the middle of the bicep. It’s also painful when I sleep on that side and very painful to raise that arm over my head when trying to sleep.

Has anyone suffered such a thing before? Any suggestions for recovering from it? Heat? Accupuncture? Massage? Gentle exercise?

Quit giving reach-arounds. Seems obvious to me. But then, I don’t consort with Irishstu.

They are easy to pick up doing wide grip chin ups if you don’t control the descend. I’ve done this twice (I know - I’m an idiot). It’ll heal with time. Hot and cold compresses are nice if supplied by the Mrs and of course she can pass you beer and remote controls to save you “straining” it.

God! I knew Sandskirt was going to make a rude comment. Ever since I started drinking Super Supau earlier this month, I’ve developed telepathetic abilities.

Mother T,
Look on the bright side. You have a spare bicep, so it’s not as serious as say a knob injury.

[quote=“almas john”]God! I knew Sandskirt was going to make a rude comment. Ever since I started drinking Super Supau earlier this month, I’ve developed telepathetic abilities.

Mother T,
Look on the bright side. You have a spare bicep, so it’s not as serious as say a knob injury.[/quote]
What are you talking about? He’s only got two biceps. He can come on to the flob and presto! He has dozens and dozens of knobs right there.

[quote=“sandman”]
What are you talking about? He’s only got two biceps. He can come on to the flob and presto! He has dozens and dozens of knobs right there.[/quote]

Erm, ‘love the one you’re with’?

Jeezus, bunch of clowns. Or should I say knobs?

I’ll assume you’re talking about the bicep and not the knob. It’s my understanding that one applies ice just after an injury and heat later on. Isn’t that right? Since it’s been a month, I would think only heat would be proper.

Where’s MONSTER? Surely he’s injured a bicep.

Nope, not in my case. What’s the word for a female knob? It’s not the corresponding lady part. Isn’t language great.

Sorry for posting nonsense in your thread. Monster’s usually around later in the day, afaik.

Or better yet, just find the guy whose bicep he injured.

All I know is that tendons take a long time to heal. I hope it’s not your tendon.

Go to a physio. I injured a tendon in my wrist doing kendo, exacerbated by many ordinary activities (such as holding a saucepan), and also by certain exercises (which I have since avoided). All these years of very few injuries in that martial art/sport, and it’s the weirdest injury I’ve had yet. Anyway, I saw various doctors who were bloody useless and prescribed complete rest. I had acupuncture (and some sort of manipulative therapy), but I don’t think that was the way to go. Anyway, another doctor sent me to the recovery unit at the local hospital and I’ve been having various treatments there, including ultrasound. I’d say I’m about 95-98% there now. Should only be a few more weeks. It’s cheap too, compared to the West. It costs me 50NT per session. In future, get onto an injury immediately, rather than waiting/hoping for it to sort itself out. Made that mistake too many problems. I had a knee problem recently, and I got straight onto that with the same doctor I saw about my wrist and that’s pretty well fixed now. Hopefully, I’ll be back on the bike and running again this week.

Edgar Allen: Had the same problem with wide grip chinups. Now I just do hands in front, palms facing. Not exactly the same, but virtually as good, and less injury potential.

I also injured my bicep,small bicep, and tried to shrug it off.It got a lot worse until I could do no pulling at all.
6 MONTHS OF NO PULLING+CURLING ETC NO BETTER.
Bought Kennacourt Cortizone, used a short needle(insulin type)4 shots in different locations, and two weeks later the same. Started gently and still do light curls,chinning fine,but now pain free 2 years later.
Use Kennacourt as other local makes are useless.