Bicycle box transportation from Kaohsiung airport to bike shop

Hi, are there any bicycle shop near Kaohsiung airport that provide bike box transportation? Two of us will arrived Kaohsiung on may 5 & will tackle round island route 1. Our plan is to get the bike box to the shop & assembling will be done there. The shop will be our start and end point of our journey. If possible the bike shop can keep the box for us till we return on may 19. If so how much does it costs. Thanks

No idea about that, but why don’t you take a taxi?

Hi @Ninja338

You can take a taxi, but most of the taxis will be the Toyota Wish cars and I’m pretty certain that they won’t fit two people and two bike boxes. You can download the app, FindTaxi, and request a large van taxi (pictured below) for you to stuff your boxes into to get to and from the airport. I’m not sure whether they cost more though!

Unfortunately, I can’t really give you any suggestions as to what shop you can go to that may keep the box for you. Nonetheless, you can do a Google maps search of bike shops in Kaohsiung and start giving them FB messages or a call to see if they’re willing to keep the boxes for you.

FYI most of the time they charge around 900-1000NT for the box + service of disassembling and stuffing the bike. So if they charge you more than that just to keep the box at their shop, I would just pay them to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn’t consider cab as it might not be big enough to ferry the bike box. Furthermore it’s pretty costly. I bet if I can contact local bike shop it will be cheaper. Unfortunately most of the bike shop are in Chinese & I can’t communicate. If any of you are Kaohsiung cyclist who have contact of bike shop & they can communicate in English, I would love to talk to them.

You can try contacting them to see if they’ll pick you up. However, I would guess a taxi that specializes in picking up and dropping off people and luggage might be cheaper than…a bike shop.

Another suggestion is, if you’re staying a night in Kaohsiung, ask the place you’re staying at if you can keep your boxes and/or a piece of luggage at the hotel when you do your tour. This way you can put together the bike yourself and just leave the bike shop out of the equation.

If Chinese is a problem, what you can do is to copy and paste the names that show up on Google maps and paste it into FB (if they don’t list their FB page as the website on their Google maps profile). Try messaging them in English and see if they can communicate.

Maybe @ColT knows a shop in Kaohsiung that might speak English?

I really think that taxi is the way to go. To hire a truck for moving stuff is like 1,000 NT, a taxi can’t be more expensive than that, but bicycle shops don’t offer that service AFAIK, so if they do it they might charge you as much as the (blue) truck…

Noted on the great suggestions. But asking our hostel to keep the box will still require us to move the bike box to the locations. Our backup plan is to assemble the bike at airport & ride to our hostel about 7.5km away & will discard the box. Will look for another box on our return trip. Anyway thanks for the assistance & pretty sure my fourth trip to Taiwan will be memorable as we are slowing down time when travelling. So eager for the day & the adventures that come along with it.

1 Like

Good luck and stay safe.

If you need any tips. Another member of the forum just did a tour of the east coast:

This. Seriously.

Only possibility I know of is Josefina Lo. Last I heard from her she’d left Merida and started her own place near the Medical Uni.

I’ll give her a shout.

Update
Just had a chat. She’s now closed her shop, but gonna ask around.

1 Like

There was a fancy bicycles shop in Kaoshioung, different brands, expensive bikes and gear, etc… I want to remember that some of the clerks there spoke English…