Bicycle crashed into me - Nobody's fault - She wants me to pay 5000NT

I had a bike accident recently, I was running to cross the light to catch the green light, a woman (around 50) on a bicycle came out of nowhere and we collided with each other on the bike lane of the sidewalk. Due to a van on the bike path (The police said it was legally parked as they were doing some sort of works) blocking both of our view, we couldn’t see each other and collided.

We both went immediately on the floor, my hands were bleeding but she said her chest hurt and over-dramatically went to the hospital after the police came, I had to work so left. She was fine sat down but then the police car turned up she started shouting in ‘pain’.

The police said (Only verbally) he doesn’t think it was anybodys fault as nobody could see eachother, took my statement and hers and left. He took pictures of my injuries and how the van blocked our view.

I received a call today and she wants me to pay 5000 for her bike and her hospital bills.

I have never got a lawyer or anything like this in my life, I have no idea how it works and I don’t want this to go on forever and be very costly but if it’s nobodys fault, why should I pay?

When I said i don’t think I should pay, she said then she will take it to court. I’m not sure my next steps. Any advice would be great.

Never do this in Taiwan. You’re lucky that you didn’t get hit by a scooter, car, truck, or bus as that could have been fatal.

Potentially sounds like she was in shock at first. When people are in shock, they don’t respond normally. However, there’s no way to prove this. Her behavior does seem suspicious.

1 Like

First there will be three mediation meetings where you can try to come to an agreement. If she is not reasonable then the judge will need to decide. You should document any injuries and seek medical attention to certify. The damages will probably be split, but if her damages and bills were higher, then you need to pay the difference.

3 Likes

The light was

The light was green and had around 10 seconds left. I ran from the sidewalk and the bike didn’t stop on the bike path as our view was blocked and we collided.

Do I need to pay any money for the mediation meetings?

I didn’t go to the hospital but the police took photos of my bloody hands and legs

I was driving my car and I changed lane. A speeding scooter with no lights on hit me at the exact point where the road was painted no scooters etc. I was found 100% at fault, because I should have seen the speeding lightless scooter driving in the wrong lane … good luck

8 Likes

Literally everyone I know so far in Taiwan (OK it’s just like ~5 people) has had some sort of road accident. About half of my taxi rides have made me scared about my life as well… Would not recommend doing anything even remotely risky

Bicyclists have to give way to pedestrians, that’s the rule I would point to. Pedestrians don’t run into bicyclists, it’s the bicyclists who run into pedestrians. If she couldn’t see you because there was a van parked then she should have slowed down.

24 Likes

I’ve had major anxiety ever since about cars and bikes whilst crossing the street

2 Likes

A lot of people ride bikes like the sidewalk is some kind of speedway these days.

5 Likes

A lot of people ride bikes like the sidewalk is some kind of speedway these days.

This. I’m too scared to even use my noise-canceling earphones while walking…

1 Like

That seems like a bad idea on any city street.

2 Likes

There is an old woman, about 50, who tries to run into me almost every single morning. It’s so obviously deliberate that I have started filming her trying to ride into my scooter. She rides a blue bicycle that I would wager is worth about $300Nt. Besides that there is a section of road just after a shortcut pathway where there are a number of old people that deliberately try to get hit by scooters while on their bikes. I have watched them as they wait for the light to turn green and then push off on their bikes when they see a scooter coming down the small road. The government did put up a CCTV camera to watch them but they just changed the spot they wait. This is the same area as the woman on the bicycle but up the road a little bit. Seems some people will do anything for money.

8 Likes

This reminds me. Anybody know where I can find a good body cam? LOL

:flushed:

10 Likes

Goddamn I’ve only just become reconciled to calling myself middle aged. I’m going to be “old” in another couple of years?!

3 Likes

She has a very sour look on her face and has attempted to shout at me many times. If that helps. I could almost time my watch by what she does. I have waited in the area to see where she comes from but haven’t seen where she comes out from. And there is usually a van parked a little bit back that blocks the view. The van is picking up those wedding models.

I’m nearly 60. I guess I’m a fossil.

5 Likes

Time to buy a bicycle I guess.

2 Likes

It’s a living
:person_shrugging:

4 Likes