Bicycle DUI

Hey guys!

Tried searching, but I couldn’t find anything on this topic. I know it’s kosher to have a beer while walking around on the street, just one of the many things I love about this country. And (obviously) it’s illegal to have a beer while riding a scooter.
But what about having a beer while riding a bike?

And somewhat relatedly, let’s say you’re not drinking while you’re riding, but you’re coming back from the bar or something on bike. Can you get a DUI on a bike?

Just ride on the sidewalks like all the other drunk fuckers. Honestly, the more drunk you are, the more you look like a local and will blend right in.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can’t get done. Well, when I tell Taiwanese that you can get done in Australia for DUI on a bike they invariably express surprise. (One guy in my home town got fined for riding a shopping trolley drunk, which I thought was a bit stiff seeing that he was using it to carry his passed out friend home. And in one central Australian town a man was charged with DUI on a camel, although the magistrate threw it out of court reasoning that the camel was not drunk and had its own mind and regard for safety. :laughing: )

1 Like

Drinking a beer on a bike? Are you fucking stupid?

1 Like

maybe we should start of list of names for him, all the people we know or have lost, all the ex pats who have died from something that titanically fucking stupid. Jesus man get your head out of your ass before an EMT has to do it for you and some bored cop has to call your folks back home and explain in broken English why he had to scrape you off the grill of a Benz at 3am.

Holy shit you are an idiot :bravo:

1 Like

Yes.
Yes, I fucking am.

As long as one is not riding a bicycle around in the city, I see no harm in quaffing a few, within reasonable limits, in rural areas well off the beaten path.

Shame how “shifty” and “petrarch1603” are so quick to judge a newbie, but won’t engage the likes of me.
What is wrong with you?
Got some other crusade upon which to wield your slackassed judgment?

Tonight, after the kids are asleep, I will make a jaunt to yonder supermarket out on the main road before it closes at 1 A.M. I will be drinking beer, even have one in the holder as I ride. It will be a Saturday, so I won’t kick it up to past ninth gear, as there might be asshole behind some engine.

That said, I will ride with no lights, and no reflectors besides some decals that my kids put on. I will ride on side roads, where the only thing left to fear, with bad light and a steady downpour, besides fear itself, are flying roaches, spiders ballooning, a snake or three, and packs of wild dogs.

Am I fucking stupid?
Yes.
Yes, I am fucking am.
So what?
It is the likes of you and your sanctimonious shit comments, those civilians that have never, ever been near the real shit, that make me relish even more my apres-midnight rides. Some of us need a bit more of a challenge than some straight square little boxes.

Keep in mind afore you judge, that some of us live out of the shitty life, and can actually call a triple canopy part of our environment.
I’d like to say I’ll see you down by the waterhole, but you two are so obviously effete, that I guess that will have to wait until that day when your six is thoroughly compromised. But by that stage, hubris will have blinded, and nature will run its course.

So, essentially, take a flying fuck at a doughnut, thou self-professed limp-wristed pussy willow riders. Stick to your well trodden wells of mediocrity, and let some of us more able chaps knock back a few, and ride on.

2 Likes

Sipping a beer while riding a bike in a non-threatening environment is nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, lads.

It may be more difficult to ride a bike one handed, and I’d mostly be worried about actually fizzing up the beer, myself, but there are times and places where that sort of thing would be no problem at all, especially to an experienced rider who’s not the kind of person to get giggly after one sip. Give the guy a break.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Shame how “shifty” and “petrarch1603” are so quick to judge a newbie, but won’t engage the likes of me.
What is wrong with you?
Got some other crusade upon which to wield your slackassed judgment?

Tonight, after the kids are asleep, I will make a jaunt to yonder supermarket out on the main road before it closes at 1 A.M. I will be drinking beer, even have one in the holder as I ride. It will be a Saturday, so I won’t kick it up to past ninth gear, as there might be asshole behind some engine.

That said, I will ride with no lights, and no reflectors besides some decals that my kids put on. I will ride on side roads, where the only thing left to fear, with bad light and a steady downpour, besides fear itself, are flying roaches, spiders ballooning, a snake or three, and packs of wild dogs.

Am I fucking stupid?
Yes.
Yes, I am fucking am.
So what?
It is the likes of you and your sanctimonious shit comments, those civilians that have never, ever been near the real shit, that make me relish even more my apres-midnight rides. Some of us need a bit more of a challenge than some straight square little boxes.

Keep in mind afore you judge, that some of us live out of the shitty life, and can actually call a triple canopy part of our environment.
I’d like to say I’ll see you down by the waterhole, but you two are so obviously effete, that I guess that will have to wait until that day when your six is thoroughly compromised. But by that stage, hubris will have blinded, and nature will run its course.

So, essentially, take a flying fuck at a doughnut, thou self-professed limp-wristed pussy willow riders. Stick to your well trodden wells of mediocrity, and let some of us more able chaps knock back a few, and ride on.[/quote]

there is dumb and then there is just plain stupid, drinking and driving is just plain stupid, have you seen the way people drive here? Christ being a pedestrian is a contact sport. You want to defend wisdom of drinking and riding a bicycle fine, you want to pretend that engaging in some painfully dumbass activity makes you “a manly man living on the edge” no problem. But in the same vein of live and let live we reserve the right to comment on how painfully stupid and dangerous as well as the outrageous douchbaggery of likening riding bicycles and drinking as a way to express your courage and devil may care attitude in life?

Drinking and driving is a stupid, dangerous, selfish act and we all know it .

Deary me. Let’s all just chill and perhaps work on the assumption that the OP does know what the effects of alcohol are, and something about the recklessness of other road users in Taiwan. Wasn’t he just asking about the legal implications of being stopped by the police while riding a bicycle when drunk ?

Ride a bicycle when drunk and you’re putting only yourself at risk so that’s a personal lifestyle choice that doesn’t have too much bearing on others. Stick to the side/ quiet streets and the worst thing that can happen is probably you coming off and getting some scratches and bruises.

Everybody does and says stupid things and anybody that has been here for more than 24 hours knows that, me at the top of the list.
This is not America, UK or Australia. Driving drunk on a bicycle is certainly stupid. So why even try? As far as I know, it is not illegal. It’s just deadly. I was in a strange part of Taipei and overdid it. My motorscoot was parked in front of a BMW store. I stumbled in, got their business card and wrote on the back. “My scoot is here”. Then taxi.
Taxi is cheap. Why risk your life for the price of another scotch. Go get it when you sober up.

Scooters tend to have engines and weigh a lot. Bicycles tend not to have engines, and weigh fuck all. your example is a great thing to do if you are drunk (or have had anything to drink at all) and are in charge of a MOTOR VEHICLE>

Riding around on a bicycle while not intoxicated but drinking a beer on a hot day is pleasant, non-threatening, and not dangerous to operator or fellow jaywalkers.

leave it out!

so much doom and gloom from people with no idea, and likely no alcohol tolerance either.

Wowsers.

1 Like

The OP wasn’t even saying s/he’d be drinking beer whilst riding a bicycle. S/he was merely enquiring about the legality of such action. And HELLFIRE gets rained! Ridiculous. :unamused:

1 Like

When I was living in Oregon I knew of a pedestrian that was hit by a bicycle and got knocked face first into the concrete. They ended up losing a bunch of teeth and spent some time in the hospital. They didn’t have insurance and the cyclist was poor and the victim ended up paying the medical bills out of pocket. The cyclist in that case wasn’t drunk, but it goes to show you that riding a bike can be dangerous to yourself and pedestrians. People who decide to ride drunk are putting themselves and others at risk. Don’t get outraged when posters condemn this. I think its equally stupid to ride with headphones, on, without a helmet, at night without a light, etc.

I agree completely with this. My son and I were crossing at a crosswalk in one of those intersections where all directions of traffic are supposed to stop during the pedestrian crossing time. About one second after I stepped into the street I spotted a high school kid flying down the street at an incredible speed. Luckily I was between him and my son otherwise he could have seriously hurt my son. He only gave me a small bruise, but that’s only because I was able to brace myself for impact.

Whatever the intentions of the OP are, please be careful out there, no matter if you’re driving, riding, or on foot.

How can you people not see the difference between riding drunk, which is not advised, and riding around in a leisurely fashion at sensible velocities while sipping a beer but not being drunk? Why (in your minds and none else) does the first mouthful of beer instantly mean you’re drunk?

Like I said: Wowsers.

I think the original poster asked about DUI -
if you drive a car in some countries after just one beer you’d count as “DUI” and get hauled off to jail, fined or whatever.
Whereas cycling around after just a beer isn’t going to cause any trouble to anyone…
As the poster is a new guy maybe he doesnt know yet that in Taiwan you used to be able to do whatever you wanted, but that no longer applies, so he’s right to ask.
I’ve been cycling around here “drunk” for 25 years and never had a problem.
Not one caused by my inebriation that is.
And I think its cool that Taiwan still sells booze in the petrol stations.

I agree completely with this. My son and I were crossing at a crosswalk in one of those intersections where all directions of traffic are supposed to stop during the pedestrian crossing time. About one second after I stepped into the street I spotted a high school kid flying down the street at an incredible speed. Luckily I was between him and my son otherwise he could have seriously hurt my son. He only gave me a small bruise, but that’s only because I was able to brace myself for impact.

Whatever the intentions of the OP are, please be careful out there, no matter if you’re driving, riding, or on foot.[/quote]

I suppose that in the second case the cyclist was not drunk either. I would have thought that drunk cyclists are more likely to cycle slowly (alcohol reduces the ability to carry out cardio-vascular activities) as opposed to being in a car where they can just stick their foot down and be a danger to everyone on the road. The more drunk they are, the more likely they are to slow down, wobble and fall off, but unlikely to cause damage to anyone else on the roads.

A very valid point, pgdaddy1.
There’s the added bonus wherein any sloth of applied physics has that much more of a longer parameter for reaction.
Which is not advised in a populated or congested area. I think I mentioned that. I find it funny that those the foam at the mouth posit the opinion regarding the local driving skills, as opposed to the legality of the whole element.

Yet exactly how does one fathom the squares, the rubes, the uninitiated? Those of the faulty prism?

Ain’t nothing but a thing, I always tell meself.

Going down Yangmingshan without lights or brakes at night while a tad drunk is excellent fun. the later the better, to avoid the cars.
If you dont have any brakes then the whole issue of slower reactions due to inebriation becomes totally moot.

1 Like