Bicycle shoes & gotch

I know I’d get better performance if I wore bike shoes, the kind that clipped onto the pedals, but in Taiwan’s unique riding environment, wouldn’t my feet rot? I’m wearing Tevas now (I just have standard pedals, so I don’t have to worry about clipping in), but I find that if I’m biking in the rain or if I drive through a puddle, they “drain” quite efficiently. I can’t imagine a wipeout would be very much fun, but I’m trying not to imagine that. Is there a better alternative?

Also, moving a bit north on the corpus, I have found that boxers are not ideal for bicycling. Is there anything I can wear that will let my boys breathe a little better than jockey briefs? Do they make biking underwear?

You can buy sandals that are designed for biking and come with cleats to use on clipless pedals. I’ve never used them though.

You could try some padded bike shorts sans underwear and change at work.

And OT - last Sunday you had brunch/lunch at Carnegies, didn’t you? I was at the table next to you when you arrived and left soon after, but didn’t realize it was you because we’ve never met IRL. Next time!

That sounds like the ticket.

Yes, that was me! :slight_smile:

I cringe at the thought of wiping out in “Liang Xie” (sandals with cleats). The skin on the tops of your feet doesn’t heal that quickly or easily–don’t ask me how I know.
In traffic, clip-ons can be tricky unless you’re really used to them. I would get a pair of toe straps as a start. They should cost $800 Nt or less and they are very durable. When you’re used to them, then you can make the transition to clip-ons or clipless. I’ve just made the transition myself and I’ve already bit the dirt once and came close a couple of other times.
Giant has bike shorts that look like regular shorts on the outside, but are padded like cycling shorts on the inside.
You can find clipless shoes that are quite waterproof. I have a pair that keeps my toes dry, even in a sustained downpour, but I sound like a horse when I walk on concrete.
There are rubber-soled biking shoes that have clip-ons. They look like regular walking shoes and are easier to walk in.
You can also get shoe covers that are light and very water resistant. Add a pair of light-weight rain pants and you’ll keep fairly dry. Spend an afternoon at a bike shop and check out what’s available.

take a change of shorts and undies with you, or keep a week’s supply at work. wash or just wipe with a cloth if that’s all that’s available, DRY THOROUGHLY and change as soon as possible when you get to work. a boil on your butt or a fungal scrotum infection are not pleasant but very likely here… don’t ask me how I know that, either.

[quote=“Maoman”]I know I’d get better performance if I wore bike shoes, the kind that clipped onto the pedals, but in Taiwan’s unique riding environment, wouldn’t my feet rot? I’m wearing Tevas now (I just have standard pedals, so I don’t have to worry about clipping in), but I find that if I’m biking in the rain or if I drive through a puddle, they “drain” quite efficiently. I can’t imagine a wipeout would be very much fun, but I’m trying not to imagine that. Is there a better alternative?

Also, moving a bit north on the corpus, I have found that boxers are not ideal for bicycling. Is there anything I can wear that will let my boys breathe a little better than jockey briefs? Do they make biking underwear?[/quote]

I brought a pair of this with me when I was in Taiwan back in May and my own SPD pedals.

amazon.com/Shimano-SPD-Cycli … B000K70IRS

They worked pretty well and they are easy to walk in since the clip is recessed. I would be careful if you plan on doing any real mountain biking with these since the toes are pretty exposed. The top of the feet is well protected.

I did most of my riding south and east of Tainan. I usually wear biking shorts and jersey and had no problems. I also took a shower afterward and switched into street clothing when I was done. But I have been riding for about 15 years and I am used to them in all kind of conditions.

One trick that I found to combat the humidity and heat in Taiwan is to soak my biking jersey with water and then twist (god, what’s the word for twisting a shirt/towel to get rid of the water in the shirt/towel? I must have spent too much time in Taiwan.) out the water. It was like wearing an air conditioner when riding.

If you have never use clipless pedal before, I would recommend that you practice a lot in a parking so that getting off the clip
is like second nature. Otherwise, you will have the misfortune of tipping over when you get to a stop light because you can’t figure out how to un-clip. Everyone I know has done that at least once when they were learning clipless pedals. But once it’s second nature, it is a lot easier to use and faster than toeclips.

Of course, in Taipei, you may not actually fall over, you probably would just lean on the scooter next to you. And if you do fall over, you would probably get run over.

I too don’t like the Tevas for the toe exposure and now that the weather is heating up will be wearing sandals more. The shimano’s on that link don’t look any better altough they clip in, I followed this link and these look pretty useful, anyone know if they are avaliable in Taiwan: teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=33621