Bicycle

I want to buy a push bike. Probably a mountain bike but need a large frame as I’m tall.

Can anyone reccommend a shop

Are there any good places to buy 2nd hand?

Does anyone in Taipei regualarly go out on a bike? When is the best time to ride to avoid stupid traffic/drivers?

Giant is a good place to get a bike. I bought my mountain bike from Giant a year ago, and it was worth all 8000 NT. Be aware, however, that most stores don’t seem to stock frames larger than 16". They can get larger frames, as they did for me, but it might take a day or two.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]I want to buy a push bike. Probably a mountain bike but need a large frame as I’m tall.

Can anyone reccommend a shop[/quote]
I was looking for a bigger frame, but gave up in the end. Hope you have better luck. Let us know.

[quote]
Does anyone in Taipei regualarly go out on a bike? When is the best time to ride to avoid stupid traffic/drivers?[/quote]
I go to work every day. The intensity of traffic decreases considerably from 8.45/9am
I can only speak for Roosevelt Rd., but must be the same for other major roads as well.

It goes up again at 6 till about 7.30 pm.

There doesn’t seem to be any corelation between the decrease in numbers and the level of stupidity present on the streets, however. As one would expect.

Try here for bike shops: formosanfattire.com/bikeshops/

Here for advice: forums.formosanfattire.com/index.php

Thanks everyone!

Just got my 21" giant bike last week. Bought it in a shop in Chong-Li on the Route 1 towards Taoyuan. Nice guys there and very helpful.
So I expect any giant shop should be able to get such bikes, even you have to wait fo about 2 days as they don’t have them on stock.
After the 2 days the guy even delivered the bike at my home which is about 8 km away from the shop.
I also had contact with Alan’s bike shop in Roosevelt Rd. and they even had 2 21" bikes on stock at that time, but going up there for me to buy the bike and than couldn’t transport it back was just to troublesome.

Oh, and the 21" bike runs fine, just took some small rides here around in the hills. Have to make some small adjustments but the rest is really fine.

I recommend Sean’s Bikes in Shilin. Bought two bikes from him and been back for service several times. Fair guy. He also got a large frame Giant mountain bike for me quickly.

See this thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=369814

Guys

Thanks again for all your help. For some reason I couldn’t follw the link to get directions to Sean’s bike shop, but have now bought a bike…hurrah!

My experience as follows: -
Went to a shop on Keelung, near to Xin Yi (the one with the Haro sign)…walked around for a while looking at bikes…no one spoke to me so left

Went to a shop opposite Y17 (Ren Ai Rd?) called colourful cycles…sames experience

On advice of gf’s brother went to Daan and wondered left out of station on Xin Yi until I found 102 Bicycle company (note also mentioned in threads on Forumosa).
David came straight up to me, let me speak my terrible Mandarin (Wo yao yi ge da de Mountain Bike) and then dealt with me in English from there on.

He was happy to negotiate, fitted the extra parts I wanted there and then and gave me a free map of cycle paths…which I thought was a nice touch.

For those who are interested I came away with a bog standard hard tail Giant in aluminium but fitted clip in pedals to it and paid about 8K all in. Descibed as XL but I think it is 21" . . . I am 6’3" and it fits me brilliantly.

Sounds great, just came back from a 2 hours ride too.

I have a XL bike as well which is a 21" frame. I am a bit taller but with some litte adjustments here and there it works perfect now. Just will need to get a second bottle with a holder for sure, just sweating too much.