Bicycles on the MRT

[quote=“MiakaW”]never saw anyone brought a bike on MRT… are you sure it is legal to do so?? I once saw a girl carried her doggie in a hand bag, was going to tell on her but…i ended up playing w/ the doggie…

bad Miaka, bad Miaka[/quote]

As both myself and Incubus both said - yes it is possible… but you have to take off the wheels and pack it up.

I thought I remembered somewhere someone taking a bike on the MRT without a bike bag. Anyone tried it? Any signs prohibiting it?

Brian

I should have been more clear…

I have:

1. used a bike bag 50% of the time
  2. pulled the wheels and seat out and used ockie (sp?) to tie everything together.

Both methods have worked everytime. Altho method 2) provides for a rude shock when inquisitive kids play with you your brake levers when you have no wheels on, thus effectivley bleeding hydraulic brakes rendering them difficult to fix. I love kids. :smiley:

At least on the Yungho line, I have been repeatedly prevented from taking my bike on board even with the wheels off. I haven’t tried a bike bag. Friends have been able to ride from Xindian to Tienmu early on weekends with no problems.

I’ll try to get the petition thing set up soon.

How about the regular train? Maybe you can tale your bikes on the slow train (you know the old ones with no AC). Anyone tried that?

Brian

I’ve taken a friend’s fold-up bike on the brown line (Mucha) MRT several times from the LiuChang station to the Nanjing one and back. Most times I’m able to sneak through the blue gate without having to fold it up. I always get in the last car cuz that is usually the least occupied.

But one time the guard(?) specifically approached me while I was buying a ticket and told me I had to fold it up before I went through. So I obligingly did so and lugged the darn thing past his station. Then on the other side I unfolded it again and was blessedly able to wheel it into the car. I figured if he saw me, he wouldn’t bother running over to the other side of the tracks to tell me to fold it up again.

Normally I’m not such a nefarious passenger, but I wish I wouldn’t have to be so concerned about sneaking around on the MRT. I have a regular mountain bike that I would prefer to use, but I don’t think I can get away with that one. Now if only they would get around to changing the regulations…

Regarding the regular train (Fushing), the slow-poke line, I’m pretty sure it’s okay to take your bike. I had my motorcycle shipped via one of those, so if they insist that your bike can’t accompany you into the passenger compartment, then perhaps you can accompany it in the shipment/baggage one.

=====================
Re-topia Revolving Clearance!

Stop the presses.
Ma said today that from the beginning of next year and starting with the Hsintien-Tanshui line on weekends only, bikes will be allowed on the MRT.
According to the report on my desk right now, problems remain, such as how to secure the bikes in the carriages, how much the fares will be and what to do if the trains run on both underground and overhead rails (don’t ask me – I have no idea what difference that would make either).
Anyway, good news, it would seem.
You saw it here first. :wink:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]How about the regular train? Maybe you can tale your bikes on the slow train (you know the old ones with no AC). Anyone tried that?

Brian[/quote]

Brian

Yep indeedy. The old slow trains allow bikes (well at least I have never been pulled up and told otherwise).

Last carriage is usually the best, the flat tray area with no seats… doors open… great way to travel.

That’s great news, Sandy. Can’t wait. My plan is to take my bike on the MRT to Zhuwei (2 stops before Danshui), take the riverside bike path from Zhuwei to Danshui, and then get on the ferry (I know for a fact they let bicycles on that), and go ride the new “left bank” bike path to Bali.

Way-hey! :laughing:

This really adds to the cycling possibilities.

I can hardly wait til Winter!

Brian

Well done, Mayor Ma. Though he’s been taking a lot of flak lately, he still gets the thumbs-up from me for implementing measures like this.

When the issue was under discussion at the City Council, some city coucilman suggested installing bike racks on buses like they do in LA and San Diego (You just hook your bike on a rack in front of the bus before you board). But Ma balked at it. One step at a time, he said.

The China Post is reporting that Taipei will allow bicycles on the MRT for a three-month trial period starting Janauary 17. But there are lots of restrictions: just on weekends and holidays, not after 4 p.m., subject to a fare of NT$100, and only at certain stations.

Heavy restrictions, indeed. The article is a bit confusing as well, as SYS Hall is on the blue line, not the Hsintien line. I assume they are referring to CKS HALL. Pretty pricey at NT$100 too. However, at least its a step in the right direction and given the snail’s pace of bureaucracy here, it has come amazingly quickly, IMO.

I noticed there was a littler bicycle ticket sticker up at Gongguan MRT station today so I asked about the bikes, if the had any brochures and when it was starting. They said that it hadn’t been decided yet, but they were getting ready for it. I’m just hoping they do start for the New Year, so that I can take advantage of it with all the time off I’m getting.

Brian

Yesterday’s paper said that it starts today.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003091576

If it doesn’t look like rain, I’ll be off ot try it out in about 1/2 an hour. I’ll try and get more info from the stations. I’m going ot try and get the MRT to Damshui and ride back. Wish me luck.

Brian[/quote]

Success! :smiley: (mostly).

I went to Dingxi station (about 6 mins form my house by road), and got on just after 2PM no trouble. 100NT, but that’s a flat fare, no matter where you’re going, for you and your bike, so not unreasonable really. I was the 4th cyclist to take advantage of the new service at Dingxi. Bizarrely, i had to write my name, phone number and destination in a register (not that they checked ID or anything).

I had planned to go to Damshui and ride back, but although the paper said you can only get on the train at certain stops, it’s really that you can only get on and off at certain stops, so I headed for Hong Shulin instead. Checking the weather on the way, I was worried about rain, so I changed for Guandu station and got off there about 3PM. I rode down through the ‘water bird reserve’ along a path where I saw heaps of birds, including what seemed to be some sort of white heron.

Unfortunately, I’d been going less than 30 minutes when I got the visual aura that signals an oncoming migraine. I popped a couple of pills that i’d thought to bring along jsut in case and headed quickly to the nearest MRT station to get back before the end of bicycle service at 4PM. I was the first (and thus probably only) customer at Qilian Station. Got off at CKS Memorial, again about 6 mins to my house, and I was back by 4:30. (Migraine OK, seeing as I took the pills quickly enough).

Read this in the Taipei times:

[quote]After taking the MRT with her bicycle from Gungguan to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall station, Councilor Lin I-hua (

Do keep in mind that this is the trial period, which means they can conceivably suspend the bike policy come April 18. So not to sound like a schoolmarm, let’s all follow the rules that Brian has listed to the letter. I’ve already heard negative comments about having bikes on the MRT, saying how the bikes are infringing upon the passengers and handicapped space. On the other hand, lack of public enthusiasm may also kill the policy. So fellow bicycling enthusiasts, take your bikes on the MRT on coming weekends, and let’s show 'em what courteous, law-abiding citizens we are.

Checking the English rules I found posted at a station, I doscovered, that you DO have to stand with your bike against the pole. You are not allowed to put it in the wheelchair space.

Also, you have to keep your bike clean so as not to dirty other passengers’ clothes. Difficult if you’re doing some off-road, but reasonable. I suppose you could use the bathrooms to clean up your bike a little.

PS: Towards the end of this trial, I intend to write a letter to Ma Ying Jiu urging that the policy be continued. Perhaps it would be better if the letter came from a group of ‘Taipei Expat Cycling Enthusiasts’ or something, and we could put a whole lot of names to the letter.

Brian

Only a week untilt he end of this, and a few days ago I got a phone call from the MRT authority. They were doing a survey of those who had used the service during the trial period. The guy asked me a lot of questions about all aspects of the service. Stuff like, how many times I’d used it, for what purpose, what problems I’d encountered, how had service been from platform staff, what I thought about this rule and that and whether I thought the policy should be continued.

Good to see that they’re taking it seriously.

Only a week left now though, so I’d better write my letter. I was thinking a copy to Ma Yingjiu, and one ot the MRT authority. Anyone else, and anyone have addresses?

Brian