Bicycling in Taiwan...is it safe?

A decent Giant mountain bike can be had for about NT $8,000 ($250 USD). If you want to spend more, the bike shop owners will certainly entertain that prospect.

Ridden off-road, on-road in the large cities, and on long road trips here.

Off-road: Steep, difficult, and very technical. Rocky everyplace I’ve seen in the north part of the island. South may be different in places.

Long road trips: OK to great if on the East coast. Avoid the West coast unless you just haven’t breathed in enough exhaust and ridden past enough faceless gray buildings in your life.

In the big cities: OK to very dangerous. The short version is that you need to get reacquainted with everything your drivers ed teacher ever told you about “defensive driving”. In the U.S., defensive driving is a nice and optional suggestion. Here it is an absolutely necessary survival skill. As for all of the comparisons that say “In X place in the U.S., it is just as bad or worse”, I strongly disagree (NYC a possible exception). Riding around the cities here is a completely different ballgame in terms of the need to remain alert at all times.

Riding along the extensive and nice paved paths along the major rivers in Taipei has been a saving grace for me. Makes my time in Taiwan much better.

Definitely bring or buy a bike here.

I can never get enough.

I’d like to hi-jack this thread.

I’ve been chomping at the bit to get a bike again. Back in Canucktyuktukland I rode a very stiff mountain bike with smooth hard skinny tires. I mostly used it for long distance trips and light trail riding. I love crawling up mountains! Going down is only half the pun.

Back when I was a bike enthusiast on my mountain bike, I was always looking at road bikes and touring bikes. They look more suited to the purpose of how I see myself riding here. daily driver with long weekend rides (maybe overnight).

What do you think? Road/ touring or tweaked Mountain bike? What are you riding and how does it serve you?

Thanks

First, I’m far from refined in terms of matching the perfect conditions with the perfect bike. That said, all of my adult riding has been on a mountain bike that I use 80% on the road. I like the versatility of being able to go offroad when the opportunity arises. (Edit: I also make use of the MTB wheels even in the city when going up and down curbs, stairs, etc.) I’ve never noticed any traction problems with the MTB wheels, etc. on the road. The reverse wouldn’t work so well (road wheels taken offroad).

However MTB’s are heavier, which means that you have more weight to pull uop the mountains.

I would go for a MTB lite, if possible, as most riders I know don’t go of road anyways.

I hope this is not too stupid a question. Is it possible to change wheel/tire types on a moutain bike. In other words if I am planning to ride on just roads up into the hills/mountains can I put on skinny tire wheels for less rolling resistance.

Yes, it’s possible. I changed my bike tires from mountain tires (or whatever they are called!) to road tires, which are slimmer and faster.

I bought a cheap road bike in Vietnam, it is a different experience. I hadn’t ridden one since I was about 13 or 14 (so about 20 years) and it is so much faster and more manoeuverable (sp?) than a mountain bike.

I used to regularly ride my mtb in the UK with slicks (road tires) on but it isn’t the same. I bought another MTB here because I wanted something sturdier incase I get into trouble and at some point I will bring the roadie over from Vietnam.

Road bike wheels will buckle more easily and they are generally more fragile so I guess it depends on how you plan to use it. For touring (assume you mean carrying your gear in panniers etc) I would go for the MTB option and stick slick tyres on.

They are pretty fragile. The only reason I put mine on is because most of my riding is on the road, and it really helps me go faster. But, I get flats all of the time, which presents problems when you are nowhere near a bike shop. I keep a portable pump on my bike, which can help me get to a shop, albeit longer…

i have been riding some continental slicks on my mtb for 2 years. 90 pounds pressure = close to road bike speed. i ride all around nothern taiwan, a couple of hundred km per week. never had a puncture. highly recommended.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I’d like to hi-Jack this thread.

I’ve been chomping at the bit to get a bike again. Back in Canucktyuktukland I rode a very stiff mountain bike with smooth hard skinny tires. I mostly used it for long distance trips and light trail riding. I love crawling up mountains! Going down is only half the pun.

Back when I was a bike enthusiast on my mountain bike, I was always looking at road bikes and touring bikes. They look more suited to the purpose of how I see myself riding here. daily driver with long weekend rides (maybe overnight).

What do you think? Road/ touring or tweaked Mountain bike? What are you riding and how does it serve you?

Thanks[/quote]

I have a few bikes and all serve very separate purposes. I am yet to find a bike that can satisfy all my needs.

1. Road bike - for training and general fitness. 19 pounds.
  2. Freeride bike - for 95% most of my Taiwan off road mountain riding. 37+ pounds.
  3. Cross country mountain bike - for my trips away down to Taroko etc. 25 pounds.
  4. Folding bike - for commuting. 24 pounds.

So… I recommend you buy a nice mtn bike hardtail. The easiest thing to do would be to invest in different tyres or even you have the $, 2 different wheelsets as this is where a lot of mtn bike weight lies. You could - depending on the purpose - swap out wheels and tyres and quickly convert a 30 pound trail bike into a 22 pound road machine. This would see you in possession of a very nice Taiwan bike that would see you off roading, roading and touring the island in comfort.

Of course mtn bikes are heavier as they serve different purposes.

www.formosanfattire.com for trails.

PM if you ever want to ride.