Biff's Pita in the Shi-Da Nightmarket (closed)

Donghu? The sandwiches wouldn’t just be cold, they’d be stale! :laughing:

Donghu is what we here in central Taipei call “remote”.

Donghu is what we here in central Taipei call “remote”.[/quote]

I thought we called it “the hinterland”.

Donghu is what we here in central Taipei call “remote”.[/quote]

I thought we called it “the hinterland”.[/quote]
Bumfuck, Nowheresville I thought it was. Where is it, anyway?

A quick note on the price rise per our Mexican jalapeno sandwich. We’ve raised it to NT$65 per sandwich and some people quite understandably feel sandbagged after getting there, having read the Taipei Times story featuring it for only NT$55. Why the price rise? Well, we stupidly underestimated our costs of production on a number of things we sell, with the Mexican sandwich being particularly underpriced because it features, in addition to the usual goodies, an imported salsa sauce plus jalapenos to boot. Rather than bore you with the details of our costs I’ll put it this way: in two months, without having repaid one cent on the cost of buying into the place (i.e. the stall and the fridge and other hardware), our total salary per person has been a laughable/cry-able NT$7000 each. (Perhaps Chris or someone else here on forumosa who knows me can vouch for me making this same complaint to them recently.)

The eight best days we’ve had ended last Saturday and we each earned — wait for it — NT$2000 each. That means NT$250 a day which works out to about NT$30 an hour for the wife and her sister. Fortunately the startup cost of this outfit is a pittance. But a pittance is not the return I had in mind for the investment. Our business is here to stay, but we’re definitely working on improving our numbers. And we have a vested interest in keeping prices low as our target market is the local consumer. Other than that, the prices of our other sandwiches are the same for the time being (my inclination to raise them has been overruled by my partners).

My apologies to the aggrieved…

Biff…

That’s bad news and a shame for those who felt ripped off, but really, is NT$65 really that much to pay for a homemade sandwich using imported ingredients? I’d say not at all. Best of luck and here’s hoping your salaries will see an increase very soon!

I’ll just put in a word here, because I’ve seen first-hand the care that Biff has put into his operation. He goes deep into some of the immigrant enclaves of Taipei County to seek out hard-to-find, authentic ingredients for his dishes. The cheaper substitutes just don’t cut it; he’s tried, believe me (and has used me as one of his tasting guinea pigs in the process).

So if you’re looking for quality, Biff doesn’t cut corners. Plus it’s a bargain compared to similar places in town.

Ooh! Guinea pigs are good! So does Biff do any Peruvian sammiches atall?

Several quick notes, the first few on food, the last one on crooks.

We’re now offering fried rice entrees for NT$50. They come in three flavors: Thom Yam Thai, Madras Curry, and Xinjiang Cumin. We can prepare a vegetarian version for you or our regular version (featuring the same quantity of chicken as our pita sandwiches). Our Thai fried rice has proven a particular hit with students and domestics from Southeast Asia.

We’ve also expanded our line-up of potato wedges:
Salt & Pepper: NT$35
Pepper & Sour Cream: NT$45
Honey Mustard: NT$50
Basil & Sour Cream: NT$50
Salso & Sour Cream: NT$55

Our Mexican Salsa Jalapeno Pita is NT$65 each, NT$120 for two.
Our other Pitas (Madras Curry, Xinjiang Cumin, Fennel, Szechuan) remain NT$55 each, NT$100 for two.

Our address: 121-1 Shita Rd., next to the Watsons by the Wellcome Grocery.

Crooks: The Shita night market area seems pretty free of street crime, but we had a slick customer last week who took advantage of one of the girls’ trust to filch her purse while her back was turned. She didn’t notice at first. Interestingly, the crook, nervous, then ordered a sandwich, paid for it in advance, and then volunteered an excuse to scamper off without waiting for his sandwich, never to return. Apparently the standard MO is to loot the purse of valuables and then ditch it immediately so as to have nothing suspect on your person if the coppers should collar you. The purse was nowhere in the neighborhood so he apparently was an amateur who, on seeing opportunity knocking, bumped him and five-fingered his pockets.

Further evidence of this amateurism was the sudden appearance of fellows of similar disposition, flocking in for easy spoils. For example, one enterprising shyster showed up wondering what we could sell him for NT$10, on the theory that we would amiably form a scrimmage to discuss the possibilities of his offer, thus turning our backs and providing him the opportunity to rummage our belongings. We shooed him, and his fellow kinfolk, away.

I take this to suggest that the self-respecting crooks have headed west, to Shanghai and points beyond. The low-expectation crooks of today, humble and open to all offers, are all that remains of a proud tradition of rookery from the days of martial law. Those palmy Taipei times, halcyon days when a crook could still hold his head high, a lady of joy on each arm… Etc, etcera…

Biff Cappuccino…

I have been to Biff’s a couple of times and have been impressed with the fresh and tasty pita pockets.The 4 or 5 five different pitas are all delish although I have found the chips to be a little over-priced for what you get.In my humble opinion it is the best street food on Shi Da Rd. :beatnik:

Biff’s New Sandwiches and New Location

Howdy: we’re now cooking up two kinds of burritos, plus pitas and subs with six choices of sautéed sauces, and potato wedges (starting at NT$39) with four choices of toppings. Burritos come in Salsa & Chicken (NT$79) or Refried Beans & Mexican Cheese (NT$89) and we’ll expand this selection as time goes by. Our pitas (NT$65 each/ NT$120 for two) were always made from fried marinated chicken and whole wheat pitas packing four types of vegetables, but they’re now smothered in two layers of sautéed sauce making flavors richer and smoother and the sandwiches good whether hot or cold. In addition to the original offerings of Masala Curry, Xinjiang Cumin, Tex-Mex, and Thai Tom Yum, we’re now also offering Thai Yellow Curry and Yunnan Fermented Tofu (a moderately piquant rich tofu cheese that won’t offend your nose). As business grows I’ll expand the range of sauces some more (Ex: Thai Galanga & Bacon, Vietnamese Crab Paste & Mint, Sun-dried Sweet Melon & Ginger, etc.).

When it comes to pitas, authenticity is not what we’re aiming for. Perhaps I was spoiled in a family which rarely ate the same entrée twice per month. Either way, given the profusion of local and imported foodstuffs, what I aim for is the fusion of fresh combinations of top quality ingredients to make rich pitas & subs you may not find elsewhere.

We’ve also been offering chicken fried rice (NT$75) in de jour entrée fashion, i.e. either Thai Tom Yum or Masala Curry chicken fried rice depending on the day (to check in advance, call 0921779279).

By the way, we recently moved inside the Shi Ta Night Market to Shi Ta Road, Alley 49, No. 9 (sharing space with a Malaysian Chai franchise) and have expanded our hours of operation from 11:30 am to 11:00 pm.

We just got our marquee done and don’t have tables in yet, but that’s next on the agenda. For more information and photos, please see our blog: biffspita.blogspot.com/

Hope to see you soon.

Yours in cookery, Biff Cappuccino.

Ooo, I haven’t had a Biff pita in a couple months since I stopped working in the area. Looks like me has a plan for tomorrow.

From my experience, the new recipes, with the sauces, do indeed impart a richer flavor. And as usual, they’re generous with the meat. I also tried one of the burritos, which is very tasty.

I went to the new location today,pitas and fried rice was excellent.New sauces are delish.

I found Biff’s a couple months back just down the road from my apartment. Tasty eats, but a tiny, cramped location that made waiting for a pita a bit of a hassle.

Now the stand is closer (to me!), more spacious, and just as delicious. The pitas are an especially good deal, and two for 120 NT is enough food to get me through most of the day. All the sauces are pretty knockout, but I’m definitely partial to the Thai Yellow Curry and the Xinjiang Cumin.

Extra bonus: if you’ve been disappointed with the severe lack of burritos in Taipei, Biff’s is a good place to console yourself. They’re still fiddling with the recipe, but it’s already the best spot in town for a decent burrito, putting Grandma Nitti’s to shame.

Be prepared for a bit of a wait, but the food is totally worth it. Good eats!

I guess I really have no excuse for trying it yet considering its right across from my apartment…

I just noticed Potato wedges today. Potato wedges… in Taiwan… Oh, how I miss them from the states.

Damn, I went there yesterday but couldn’t find the new place, which was my fault as I didn’t write down the alley. Had niurou mian and dumplings at a local place, which were good, but not what I wanted. :frowning:

It’s just off Shi-Da road, the next alley down from the “main” alley where the Watson’s is (the Watson’s near the north end of the road, that is).

They’ve got a bar-style table with barstools where you can sit now.

For some reason the picture above didn’t show. I’ll re-post it here:

Just came back from Biff’s. He has a good thing going over there in Shida. The Xinjiang cumin chicken pita was outstanding and went down quite well with a nice bottle of Taiwan Beer ($125 for the “set”). The service could not have been more prompt nor friendlier.

Next time I am in the area I will definitely steer the ship in his direction and sail away two-fisted…I want to try more of what is on the menu.

Went to the new location today, a bit tricky to find, but thanks to the picture above I managed to find it.
I have to say that it was about a year since I tried it last and I wasn’t overly impressed the first time around.
However, this time around I was really impressed, for the price, that’s some really tasty grub.
I had a mexican cheese burrito and a tex mex pita and my GF had a cumin pita.
The cheese burrito was really tasty and I don’t know where he gets the wraps from, but it’s not the average stuff you get in costco.
The pita was super juicy and really tasty as well and my GF didn’t seem to have any complaints either.
I’ll definetely be back in the not to distant future for more and if you haven’t gone, you really should :lick: