BIG bike license

Congratulations Mordeth.

One thing bothers me about the big bike licence. How long is it valid for? The same time as your ARC presumably. Will you have to retest when you renew your ARC? Plasmatron says so;

[quote=“plasmatron”]…what peeved me…is that my Taiwanese mate who did the course and test with me got his heavy bike licence valid for 20 years, whilst mine is meaningless once my ARC expires, with no option to renew without retesting!../quote
and I haven’t heard of any experience to the contrary.

[quote=“joesax”]Congratulations Mordeth.

One thing bothers me about the big bike licence. How long is it valid for? The same time as your ARC presumably. Will you have to retest when you renew your ARC? Plasmatron says so;

[quote=“plasmatron”]…what peeved me…is that my Taiwanese mate who did the course and test with me got his heavy bike licence valid for 20 years, whilst mine is meaningless once my ARC expires, with no option to renew without retesting!../quote
and I haven’t heard of any experience to the contrary.[/quote]

Wow, that blows my mind. This must be some glitch in the system. Hopefully it will be worked out before I have to renew. If not the test by its-self costs 300n.t. But still. :loco:

[quote=“Mordeth”]Wow, that blows my mind. This must be some glitch in the system. Hopefully it will be worked out before I have to renew. If not the test by its-self costs 300n.t. But still. :loco:[/quote]Well, maybe they’ve changed the rules since Plasmatron posted that over a year ago. If you find out for definite then post back and let us know.

It was mentioned that a requirement for taking the big bike test is having a 50~250cc bike license for 12mths or over.

I have a UK big bike license, does this mean I need to first get the regular license and wait 1yr, then finally test to upgrade to the big bike license ?

Damn… best get started now for next year ! :frowning:

Some licenses are allowed to be transfered over. In Canada, B.C. and Ontario licenses can be transfered but not Manitoba’s (where I’m from). So make sure you check first if you can just transfer it over.

Normally, UK licenses can’t be exchanged for Taiwan ones.

I think you can use a UK international driving permit in conjunction with your UK license for riding a big bike here, provided that one of those documents states very clearly that you’re entitled to ride big bikes. There’s a bit of paperwork involved in getting the UK IDP though and I don’t know if you can do it from abroad. Also it’s only valid for a year (and that only if you get it validated by the DMV here within the first month).

I think you should go ahead with getting your regular Taiwan bike license anyway. I suppose there is a vague possibility that they might consider upgrading you to a Taiwan big bike license if you showed them your UK license and IDP.

JoeSax—I confirm that…DMV told me I couldn’t use my big bike license from the states because we didn’t distinguish between large and small bikes.

So I need a big bike TW licence. Maybe I can show them pictures of me riding my Goldwing, GPZ 750, 600 Ninja, KZ 1000 etc…

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]DMV told me I couldn’t use my big bike license from the states because we didn’t distinguish between large and small bikes.[/quote]You don’t HAVE any small bikes, do you? My US friend tells me that people there think 600cc’s a small bike.

I think we consider anything under 600cc-500cc a “small” bike. Under 250cc are forbidden to freeway access. (Can’t go fast enough)

Yeah…I’d say in Canada we consider 600 to be normal…1000 large…and anything under 600 small. But that’s mainly for sport or street bikes…for cruisers (like Harleys) anything under 1000 would be considered small. Like the 750 Honda Shadow for example motorbikes.be/en/Honda/2005/ … 20Aero%20/

I’d think Mordeth’s NSR would be able to keep up. Or any RZR for that matter.