Big Bikes (red plates) taking up car parking spaces?

After driving into the city yesterday I noticed motorcycles parked in spaces meant for cars.
How long has this been going on?
I guess since the red plates are allowed to go wherever cars can go I guess they feel entitled to use regular parking spaces.
Forgive me, but it seems kind of rude when there is ample motorcycle parking available and the people driving cars to the city with a lot of goods to carry or children in the car have to walk more than two blocks to get to where they need to be.

Do red plate bikes fit in those tiny motorcycle parking spots?

I think bikes with red plates are required by law to use car parking space. They are equal to cars from the perspective of the law. That is my understanding so far. Please correct me if I am wrong.

7 Likes

AFAIK, you are correct. They are to be treated as cars.

Sounds like the sense of entitlement is coming from you, not the motorcyclist whom is obeying the laws/rules.

Serious?! In a city you should expect to walk at least a couple of blocks. No way you can have available parking right in front of every establishment for everybody.

You are not forgiven.

4 Likes

Motorcycles with red plates must park in car parking. Trust me, many times I want to park in an empty motorcycle parking corner and pay very little for once only parking fee, but I can’t and must pay hourly car parking. There is no entitlement as this is the law. Also m, big bikes are very heavy, have you imagined if I park near the little ones and somebody accidentally push and if fall on him? Not to mention higher taxes etc we pay also, unlike the little scooters.

Do you know how far I have to walk, as a foreigner, in NYC when I park somewhere? Btw, I am a parent too. Unreasonable questioning. You could tone is better so you wouldn’t sound so entitled yourself.

5 Likes

So those places are not solely meant for cars, they are meant for red plates as well

It is required by law to park the red plate in the car park, and you’ll be fined if you don’t l.

Some idiots sometimes don’t know the above, and insist you should park it somewhere else although you would be running the risk of getting fined

You can fit three in a car parking space!

Most idiots!

I was wondering why those yellow plate scooters never pull into the bike box at the lights, that must be it.

Buddy and I were sitting at a red light on big bikes in the scooter box. Cop on a scooter pulled up next to us and told us we weren’t allowed to do that. Not sure about the yellow plates, though.

Dilemma, you’re treated like a car but then you aren’t!

1 Like

You are not allowed to be in the bike square at the traffic light nor are you allowed to use the small rectangles to make left turn, the ones that you have to turn twice.

That’s a huge benefit of the big bike, they don’t need to turn twice. I’m jealous when I see them just turn

But when car can’t turn left and the motorcycles have the rectangle to beat that, then it becomes disappointed that, on a big motorcycle, you have to drive very long to find a U-turn.

Guess nothing is perfect.
The inability to go on the highways is also a pain

Of course we were/are aware of this, but just figured, “Meh, chabuduo.” We played dumb so the officer was just informing us. No ticket or anything.

Why? A big bike can do the same as cars.

I know. I am saying when cars aren’t allowed to turn left but there is that rectangular there where you can stop twice with a small bike and eventually turn left. In this case it is not advantageous to be on a big bike.

1 Like

Did you get fined?

Just curious, as a big bike (red plate or yellow plate), we are not allowed to turn left?

Also, to double confirm, if you have a red plate bike, aren’t you allowed on normal scooter parking spaces as long as your bike fit?

Thanks,