Big black and bad stereotyping

Talkin’ about King Kong here.

[quote]Big black and bad stereotyping
By Kwame McKenzie

King Kong feeds into all the colonial hysteria about black hyper-sexuality - read Kwame McKenzie’s article and send your comments, below
Most black men I know will think twice about going to see King Kong. First because of the story, second because of Peter Jackson’s other recent blockbuster movies.

The story feeds into all the colonial hysteria about black hyper-sexuality. This imagery has a long history and is difficult to shift.

It was so pervasive and prevalent even in the 17th century that Shakespeare could write Othello knowing that his audience would understand the Moor stereotype. As Kristin Johnsen-Neshati, Associate Professor of Theatre at George Mason University notes in her writing on the subject: “Moors were commonly stereotyped as sexually overactive, prone to jealousy and generally wicked. The public associated ‘blackness’ with moral corruption, citing examples from Christian theology to support the view that whiteness was the sign of purity, just as blackness indicated sin.”

It is so pervasive that after fronting a pop psychology TV series a decade ago as a psychiatrist I was offered a 20 part series on sex.

The story also touches the raw nerve of the Darwin-based association between black men and apes. Though the monkey noises and the discussion about whether Africans are the missing link between apes and humans may be out of the classroom, it still has to be endured by black footballers when they travel to away games.(more at link)
timesonline.co.uk/article/0, … 29,00.html[/quote]

Some interesting responses to the article.

“Kwame McKenzie”???

:roflmao:

I’m sorry. Reminded me of Molotov Chen who used to post in the local English rags here. :laughing:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]“Kwame McKenzie”???
[/quote]

He’s a complicated man, no one understands him but his woman.

[quote]Big black and bad stereotyping
The story also touches the raw nerve of the Darwin-based association between black men and apes. Though the monkey noises and the discussion about whether Africans are the missing link between apes and humans may be out of the classroom, it still has to be endured by black footballers when they travel to away games.(more at link)

I find it rather astonishing that in this day and age football players are subjected to this sort of racist bullishit. Is this just in the UK?

Amazingly pathetic, that is.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote]Big black and bad stereotyping

I find it rather astonishing that in this day and age football players are subjected to this sort of racist bullishit. Is this just in the UK?

Amazingly pathetic, that is.[/quote]

Not just the UK. Spain is particularly bad for it. Dunno about other European countries.

It sucks. Some people are such assholes.

Bob, Doug and Kwame Mckenzie?.. the other Mckenzie brother?

Interesting comments:

[quote]Kwame, I am asolutely appalled by your suggestion of racist undertones in this movie. If you can draw racist implications from this film then I would pretty much imagine you must be offended by every film, book and play ever written, as I

[quote=“jdsmith”]
I just wanna take my kid to see KK climb the Empire State building and bat down airplanes and fight godzilla raptors. :slight_smile:

But I’m sure I’m just part of the problem. :s[/quote]

Only if you stand up and talk during the movie.

I can see the poor downtrodden blacks of the world breathing a huge collective sign of relief over this one. Thank God! Redemption is here! Working class white woman is not taking her kids to see a movie! Years of oppression and slavery are finally over! Thank God! But most of all thank Stupid Fuckwit White Trash for whom racism does not exist once you learn to use the term “African American” (or whatever it is in England) and order “coffee with milk” instead of “white coffee”! Her kids are very careful to say “chalkboard” instead of “blackboard” and AS A RESULT there is no racism where she is from and black people and white people live together in perfect harmony.

Boy is it depressing to see how stupid some people are. These are the benighted brainless sheep who voted in Tony Blair.

Most people in the 1930s were racists. Shocker! Those old movies were made in different times. You have to take them for what they are and the times they reflect.

He’s wrong about Othello, though. It’s a common mistake to try to view that play through modern politically correct eyes, but from what I understand, racism as we understand it today didn’t really exist in Shakespeare’s times. I could cite some scholarly articles if I felt it worth the bother. There was a lot of xenophobia, people felt loyalty to their home provinces and villages and didn’t trust outsiders, but there wasn’t any psuedo-scientific racial heirarchy of whites and blacks. That idea only really took hold after mass slavery to the New World made demonization of blacks necessary to salve Christian consciences of their exploitation.

Mexico has its problems with racism, as you can see.

Fox claims that Mexican illegals do the work that “not even black people want to do”

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“jdsmith”]
I just wanna take my kid to see KK climb the Empire State building and bat down airplanes and fight godzilla raptors. :slight_smile:

Only if you stand up and talk during the movie.[/quote]

More like if you answer your cellphone :noway: :fume:

I don’t see the connection. KK is boring and a guy’s flick. Althought the first comment in JD’s post about blacks portraying blacks negatively was right on spot. I don’t know how often I want to shoot PFiddly 50pennies andCo. for thinking the N word and relating to black women as sexual dump trucks as a creative breakthrough.
:unamused:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“jdsmith”]

Only if you stand up and talk during the movie.[/quote]

More like if you answer your cellphone :noway: :fume:
[/quote]

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a movie.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote]Big black and bad stereotyping

Probably not … but more so when they are dumb drunk … :s

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote]Big black and bad stereotyping

Probably not … but more so when they are dumb drunk … :s[/quote]

All people are basically apes inside, especially when dumb drunk.

No no Mod Lang. You misunderstand! Never since those days have we had movies with such a perfect mix of black & white.

Mind you, the movies these days do tend to have more [color=darkred]c[/color][color=red]o[/color][color=orange]l[/color][color=brown]o[/color][color=green]u[/color][color=olive]r[/color][color=darkblue]e[/color][color=indigo]d[/color] people.

For those without a brain, the above two comments are both jokes.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I like my apes like I like my coffee…

strong and black

:laughing:

There are a few white apes. But they have “pussy” names like “Snowflake.” Not good for an action movie.

I don’t know…

“Snowflave versus Mothra”
“Snowflake versus Godzilla”
“Snowflake’s Revenge”
“The Return of Snowflake”
“The Three Stooges versus Snowflake”

Sounds pretty good to me!

Racism in football… RIFE!

Some still disagree that John Barnes scored against the Brazillians.
It is especially bad in Italy. The racist elements have their own stands, and sections. They are also allowed to have storage cupboards within the grounds to hold their racist banners. Find out about Roma and Paolo DiCanio.

As Stu rightly said, Spain is also terrible. Real Madrid are openly run by and sympathetic to racists. Arragones (the national coach) famously tried to motivate one player by saying, “How can the monkey be better than the gypsy?”

English players are constantly exposed to monkey noises on European soil. Ask Ashley Cole.

[quote=“TomHill”]Racism in football… RIFE!

Some still disagree that John Barnes scored against the Brazillians.
It is especially bad in Italy. The racist elements have their own stands, and sections. They are also allowed to have storage cupboards within the grounds to hold their racist banners. Find out about Roma and Paolo DiCanio.

As Stu rightly said, Spain is also terrible. Real Madrid are openly run by and sympathetic to racists. Arragones (the national coach) famously tried to motivate one player by saying, “How can the monkey be better than the gypsy?”

English players are constantly exposed to monkey noises on European soil. Ask Ashley Cole.[/quote]

It’s not so much the racism thing, but rather that football is a pussy game with drunken hooligans in the stadiums. Whenever you get 30 to 60 000 drunken hooilgans together you surely couldn’t expect anything else. Fighting, racist comments and noises, stampedes leadng to people being crushed to death etc etc…

As the saying goes, “Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans, and rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen”.

And as for Kong… That’s a bit of a stretch of the imagination to bring in negative racial stereotypes. Or is Kwame and others who make this leap into the realm of racism rather closet Beastiality freaks than crusaders for PC values? I mean seriously. A romantic relationship between a gorilla and a woman? Smacks of bestiality to me…