Big Boyz Pizza

They got $100 Peronis

Thatā€™s cheap for a peronĆ©. Is it coming from China or what?

Now weā€™re really having some language difficulties.

Phewwwwā€¦ I thought I was the only one!

Alright, if I feel rich this CNY I might pay a visit and see how much of a shared pizza I can eat without getting faces from my date that day.

I remember seeing you have to give them an hour to prepare the deep dish pizza; is that the case? Iā€™ve always wanted to try it but I never know where Iā€™m going to be any given hourā€¦ seems too much of a gamble.

Yes and no. Their hours are a bit weird, they close pretty early on weekdays, so youā€™re just holding up the kitchen if you order deep dish and arrive later in the evening when the kitchen is closing.

Not everyone wants to wait a full hour for their food to arrive too!

1 Like

Things were different today. It was more of a Taiwanified thin crust and not what it had been previously. Three pies were all the same, so I think thatā€™s the deal now. It wasnā€™t bad at all, but Iā€™m not as impressed as of now as I had been. They had a pretty good local crowd in there so I wonā€™t fault them if thatā€™s what people want. We got 12", they were out of 18". Iā€™ll make a reservation for that when I go back and see.

1 Like

Thanks. Is there any reason to go besides pizza? Atmosphere or do they sometimes have DJ or live music?

Went there once about six months ago and was not impressed. Tried both thin and deep dishā€¦thin was dry and lacking in toppings, and deep dish had an overcooked crust. But the main problem was the sauceā€¦it was just blah. It basically tasted like canned tomato paste seasoned with salt and stale oregano. I have no plans to go back a second time.

1 Like

Nope.

Did you say you were vegetarian? I like the sauce but they have a Buddhist-vegetarian sauce thatā€™s pretty much like that.

Nope, meatetarian all the way. The sauce just didnā€™t do anything for meā€¦or the crust. Just about the only pizza joint that gets second chances from me in Taipei is Zoca. Chicago Pizza Factory is also OK in a pinch, but I have to ask for extra sauce and tell them not to burn the cheese to a crisp.

1 Like

Lol I almost go there last night for dinner but I didnā€™t have time to ā€œpreorderā€ the deep dish as I read you have to do so I said fuck it.

Iā€™ve eaten there 2 or 3 times, I guess I liked it.

Iā€™m craving for some pizza nowā€¦

I just had a rollercoaster of emotions reading this thread. How is it now?

1 Like

Consistent. Still going strong

Is the crust still Taiwanified? Are the pictures you shared before the change or after? Either way Iā€™ll be testing this out soon, so thanks for the rec.

Iā€™ve been back a bunch of times after that, itā€™s been fine. Forgot about that time actually, maybe just a weird day for them or me

This place had me sold when they decided boy needed a z.

1 Like

I generally agree with Tempoā€™s analysis on Big Boys. It is overall good, almost NY style pizza. It wasnā€™t nearly salty enough, and something was just a bit off on the cheese. I also correctly predicted that the crust would be too dry, but I didnā€™t realize that it would be way too dry. It took them 1 hour 45 min to get the pizza to my house and it was almost cold when it arrived, so I anticipate the dryness will be much better if I eat in store. Seeing as they open at 5:30 and canā€™t deliver before 7, I assume that I will only be eating them in store from now on. If this sounds overly negative, it isnā€™t intended as such. I am very excited to have found a pizza place that produces pretty good pizza in Taipei, so thanks for the rec!

1 Like