Big drug bust in Taipei

As SatTV doesn’t seem to be around, I’ll take over the reins for reporting western teachers getting caught with their fingers in the cookie jar. The news said that ten people have been arrested for dealing in a school in Taipei. Some kids at the school were also involved; one was just 13. Does anyone else know any more?

tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/artic … D/20110308

Almost no details in the article. Ten foreign students and teachers were busted by Xinbei police with some pot and amphetamines. The article explicitly says that they can’t name the school, but it mentions that one is an English teacher and the others are either exchange students or students at an “American” school and that their parents were fancypants executives working in Taiwan.

It sounds like the core of the case is that someone brought back some marijuana back from home, and it mentioned that the case was cracked due to their open telephone conversations.

So, they are tapping foreigners’ phones …

every government “taps” its citizen phones, emails, texts. they have keywords and ultra big search engines to detect them.

every government “taps” its citizen phones, emails, texts. they have keywords and ultra big search engines to detect them.[/quote]
yeah, but foreigners aren’t citizens.

That’s why I never talk about all the pot I brought back with me. They are stupid.

People I know who got in trouble were caught primarily through phone conversation recordings. They had a search warrant (or equivalent) to do that.

There was probably a tip off, then they investigated.

What annoys me is the slant of foreigners. I am willing to bet there were more Taiwanese arrested, that go higher up than just pot users. Let the quality of media reports shine! Let us laugh at them!

every government “taps” its citizen phones, emails, texts. they have keywords and ultra big search engines to detect them.[/quote]

I don’t know about the search engines and all but a friend of mine who is a policeman told me that there is a cop whose job it is to listen to foreigners’ cellphone conversations. He even has MP3s of the calls to play them when he drives around town.

What happened to kids stealing alcohol from their parents and getting drunk in secret, like in the old times? Now it is drugs… :frowning:
I feel sad for these kids, they have ruined their own futures (that is unless daddy/mommy executive president for xx corporation can not make it go away), completely laid to waste because of a stupid teenage stunt. We can only hope that at least they will stay away from the stuff now, perhaps something good can actually come out of this.

Huh? I was sneaking off to get stoned 25 years ago. Heck, snadman was doing the same 50 years ago. :wink: Nothing new there.

As for this. . .

HA! They may have keywords and ultra big search engines, but they DON’T have ultra big keyword search engines. So long as one engages in discourse utilizing verbiage of sufficient complexity the feds can be readily foiled. :discodance:

Kids were smarter back then.

… my friends and me who used to steal alcohol from our parents are all in worse physical condition than my pot smokers friends…

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
HA! They may have keywords and ultra big search engines, but they DON’T have ultra big keyword search engines. So long as one engages in discourse utilizing verbiage of sufficient complexity the feds can be readily foiled. :discodance:[/quote]

exactly. who would be so stupid to talk about brown cannabis powder or fresh harvested buds of marijuana ??

oh yes… highschool students…

[quote=“Lappy”]What happened to kids stealing alcohol from their parents and getting drunk in secret, like in the old times? Now it is drugs… :frowning:
I feel sad for these kids, they have ruined their own futures (that is unless daddy/mommy executive president for xx corporation can not make it go away), completely laid to waste because of a stupid teenage stunt. We can only hope that at least they will stay away from the stuff now, perhaps something good can actually come out of this.[/quote]

Hopefully the parents will also realize that little johnny is more important than than their careers and start being moms and dads.

We always used code words. ‘Did you get those pickles I ordered?’

45 years ago, you cheeky young pup! Not so much as a PUFF of that evil weed passed my lips until I was 13. After that, of course, it was “anything goes.” Of course, I wasn’t living in a repressed police state at the time, but still…
Of course, I’m not saying that the police in this FINE, UPSTANDING, MORALLY PURE great REPUBLIC of CHINA are repressive. Far from it! Why, if the police in my country had been anywhere NEAR as efficient as the bozos in blue here are, I’d have been hooked through the bawbag and back with the evil smack by the time I was 11.

exactly… “How much on the Henry?”

I’d advise using culturally suitable language, “so how many quarts of o-a-mi-sua do you want?” “No, no, only half a ba-zang and 10 gong-wan”

Lightweight. I order mine in pings.

You guys are hilarious!! Love y’all.