Formosa Water Park explosion (2015)

I don’t understand. Can someone explain why color powder make an event happier?

I’m not being sarcastic. I went to some of those color run websites and clicked the About page and couldn’t find any answer. What is this about?

facebook.com/colorplayasia

You run and people throw colored flour at you, it makes people happy and healthy by inhaling tiny flour particles coated with food color. Maybe it’s fairy dust! :ponder: :ohreally:

here is a video of what the event was supposed to look like

facebook.com/colorplayasia/ … 325382319/

https://www.facebook.com/colorplayasia/videos/481060325382319/

They took the idea from the Indian celebration of the Festival of Colors, where people throw handfuls of colored powder at each other, not machines in large amounts to large crowd. And not near electrical wires.

To boot, due to the stage setup, there was only one direction to escape.

Now, this happened in a small crowd, open air venue. Imagine a 10k crowd in a closed trap like the Egg on fire…

I feel a bit queasy reading the comments left by these young people just a couple hours before it happened, on the organizer’s fb page.

Wow. I hadn’t heard about that.

Comes from Holi. Why dumbarsed cultural appropriation is so stupid. I’ve been to an Indian celebration a couple of years running and people just smile and smear it on faces with their hands. Grandparents and children come. There’s water, too which gets a little like Songkran, but it’s safe enough.

Is there nothing people can’t fuck up for money?

The Taipei City Government is asking people to avoid going to the hospitals unless for something really serious as most hospitals are overwhelmed with patients from this tragedy.

They really do not want to report on fatalities, but it looks bad. Young people on the crowd clad in bikinis… 17 and 19 year olds with 90 per cent, 3rd degree burns. Awful. So sad.

‘‘The victims included 6 foreigners – four PRC Chinese citizens and two Westerners. An 18-year-old girl from Taiwan was burned on 90 percent of her body.’’

I think the Taipei Times deadline for news is 10:30 pm each night since they print at the Liberty Times plant and must give space to big Sister first. So they did not print news. China Post deadline is 1 am. so they go it it.

PS - ''The victims included 6 foreigners – four PRC Chinese citizens and two Westerners. An 18-year-old girl from Taiwan was burned on 90 percent of her body.

Damn. I teach at a Danshui university, and our final exams just ended on Friday - some of my students must have been at this party. I hope they’re all OK.

We all know there’s a complete disregard for safety measures here. I’m not surprised at all.

Incredible tragedy. Burn injuries are the most painful they say. And if they even live at all, they are permanently disfigured where the burns happened.

Anyone burned over 60pct of their body is most likely doomed to die. An agonizing death.

Just an incredibly sad and horrific tragedy for those who’s loved ones are seriously injured or killed.

Just a horrible example of people doing things without any knowledge of dangers (talking about the organizers).

The recklessness that sometimes is Taiwan.

Horrible images and videos during and after the fact.

[quote=“Icon”]They took the idea from the Indian celebration of the Festival of Colors, where people throw handfuls of colored powder at each other, not machines in large amounts to large crowd. And not near electrical wires.

To boot, due to the stage setup, there was only one direction to escape.

Now, this happened in a small crowd, open air venue. Imagine a 10k crowd in a closed trap like the Egg on fire…[/quote]

Yup, I hate to say it, but this was just another one of those things in Taiwan things that is just so screwed up. And this stupid stuff happens again, and again, and again. The color run at Dajia waterside park a year or so back. All that crap was thrown all over everything along the Keelung river creating a big ugly mess that washed into the river. What were the organizers thinking? I remember thinking that it was so stupid. Now this big tragedy in Bali. Last night when the news reports started coming in my first thought was “I hope my daughter didn’t go there.” Thank god she didn’t. But this is the type of dangerous event that local kids around 20 years old think is so “cool” and fun.

In the video footage, did anyone notice the big compressed gas bottles? I’m pretty sure I saw two big ones and they were GREEN. I I hope to hell they didn’t use compressed O2 to blow that powder everywhere.That would have been f…ing stupid. Fuel and O2.

Apple Daily has too many images of lots of kids with severe burns covering their arms and legs. This is just so sad and it didn’t have to happen.

Watched the news today. Seems that the guy in charge (I guess) in Bali said that high wind speeds were responsible for the fire. He was shot down pretty quickly by the “expert” on the program. But the expert actually was OK. He even said that the investigators will need to carefully examine the scene and all available video footage in order to pinpoint the source of ignition.

It’s so sad. It’s so just so Taiwan. Yes, I’m ranting, but if you watch the Taiwan news, and read the paper, you see so many needless deaths here. On the news today, it seems that lots of people in Taiwan know that if you create a cloud of corn flour, you have the fuel needed for a fuel air explosive. Of course, the people responsible for that stupid color party had no idea. Some of the video footage shows clouds of flour being blown at high pressure into the crowd. I looked up some youtube videos and those clouds are just like the ones used to create flour fireballs.

Update: injured over 500. Moving 9 to Taichung, one Kaohsiung.

The 90% girl the machine is breathing for her.