Formosa Water Park explosion (2015)

[quote=“neesh”]Watched the news today. Seems that the guy in charge (I guess) in Bali said that high wind speeds were responsible for the fire. He was shot down pretty quickly by the “expert” on the program. But the expert actually was OK. He even said that the investigators will need to carefully examine the scene and all available video footage in order to pinpoint the source of ignition.

It’s so sad. It’s so just so Taiwan. Yes, I’m ranting, but if you watch the Taiwan news, and read the paper, you see so many needless deaths here. On the news today, it seems that lots of people in Taiwan know that if you create a cloud of corn flour, you have the fuel needed for a fuel air explosive. Of course, the people responsible for that stupid color party had no idea. Some of the video footage shows clouds of flour being blown at high pressure into the crowd. I looked up some youtube videos and those clouds are just like the ones used to create flour fireballs.[/quote]

as opposed to the tens of thousands of needles deaths in the US every year, or the hundreds of thousands of needless deaths in the middle east and africa

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”][quote=“neesh”]Watched the news today. Seems that the guy in charge (I guess) in Bali said that high wind speeds were responsible for the fire. He was shot down pretty quickly by the “expert” on the program. But the expert actually was OK. He even said that the investigators will need to carefully examine the scene and all available video footage in order to pinpoint the source of ignition.

It’s so sad. It’s so just so Taiwan. Yes, I’m ranting, but if you watch the Taiwan news, and read the paper, you see so many needless deaths here. On the news today, it seems that lots of people in Taiwan know that if you create a cloud of corn flour, you have the fuel needed for a fuel air explosive. Of course, the people responsible for that stupid color party had no idea. Some of the video footage shows clouds of flour being blown at high pressure into the crowd. I looked up some youtube videos and those clouds are just like the ones used to create flour fireballs.[/quote]

as opposed to the tens of thousands of needles deaths in the US every year, or the hundreds of thousands of needless deaths in the middle east and africa[/quote]
One tragedy does not make others less or more tragic. This thread is about the Bali explosion.

There seemed to be one simultaneous to the first small explosion. I can imagine a combination of fuel, pressure, and heat creating it.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“BlownWideOpen”][quote=“neesh”]Watched the news today. Seems that the guy in charge (I guess) in Bali said that high wind speeds were responsible for the fire. He was shot down pretty quickly by the “expert” on the program. But the expert actually was OK. He even said that the investigators will need to carefully examine the scene and all available video footage in order to pinpoint the source of ignition.

as opposed to the tens of thousands of needles deaths in the US every year, or the hundreds of thousands of needless deaths in the middle east and africa[/quote]
One tragedy does not make others less or more tragic. This thread is about the Bali explosion.[/quote]

yes yes, i know i know. we’re talking about taiwan. but statements like “you see so many needless deaths here” need to be qualified

Witnesses are pointing at throwing the color stream towards the speakers, then I guess they short circuited. Witnesses say the employees in charge of blowing the stuff towards the crowd did not seem to know what they were doing.

hell, i’m very impressed with how everyone came together and coordinated on all levels and departments to handle this incident. the calling in of ambulances from all districts, the communication between multiple hospitals. the fast thinking, on the fly action at the site, the detailed, extensive news coverage within 12 hours, the president consoling the father, and so on. Well done Taiwan!

Take a look at the images of this from all over the world- a lot of them look just like the ‘before’ pictures in Taipei- these things were an accident waiting to happen. If it hadn’t been Taiwan, it would have been someplace else

Were they using high pressurized powder machines in other parts of the world? Seriously?

Are we that unlucky or what exactly were the other places doi g differently?

When I saw the video of them spraying powder into the crowd, before it went up, I thought “Who thought this would be a good idea?” The immediate view is the crowd being covered with a choking spray of powder. That along can’t be good for you, never mind the fire danger it poses.

[quote=“Icon”]Were they using high pressurized powder machines in other parts of the world? Seriously?

Are we that unlucky or what exactly were the other places doi g differently?[/quote]

There are considerable walls around the stage. I wonder how much that contributed to building up a concentration that persisted in burning for so long. A lot of people seemed to be burned on the legs.

They handed in double ply face masks to the attendees. At least they thought of that.

But there was so much dust on the ground that one video shows this girl as a human torch and a guy runs to her aid. Unfortunately, as he runs he kicks dust up, and that dust catches fire, turning them both into a fire ball. The would be rescuer was rescued, but the girl ended upon the floor, unable to move or be moved.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Icon”]Were they using high pressurized powder machines in other parts of the world? Seriously?

Are we that unlucky or what exactly were the other places doi g differently?[/quote]

There are considerable walls around the stage. I wonder how much that contributed to building up a concentration that persisted in burning for so long. A lot of people seemed to be burned on the legs.[/quote]

Yes. With only one direction to escape, people were basically trapped in the fire wave explosion. Miracle not all died in an stampee.

Which brings even more questions: there are ober 500 hurt. How many were inside the concert area to begin with?

Does anyone know any of the foreigners? Are any of them seriously injured? I was wondering because some may not have many friends or family here…

This sounds like a health care system with little room for emergencies. What group of hospitals can’t absorb an extra 500 patients on short notice? What do they do if a 921-type earthquake strikes?

There is a trend to use color powder in Taiwan’s festivals.

I still remember that Compass Magazine was promoting a event like that in 2012 for a event in Taichung.

And there were other events also in Kaohsiung and Taichung promoting the usage of color powder.

taipeitrends.com.tw/the-colo … ipei-2013/

This sounds like a health care system with little room for emergencies. What group of hospitals can’t absorb an extra 500 patients on short notice? What do they do if a 921-type earthquake strikes?[/quote]

It gets worse.

Doctors are coming on the news saying they are running out of medications and bandages. The patients in ICU must have everything changed every 2 hours.

I hope that it is because in a quake you have a variety of injuries not just all burned but yes, do not know why they are overwhelmed. Also, neighbors were asking for instance why the injured were sent to Cardinal Tien and not Tzu Chi.

Indeed. And at the hospitals here you need a lot of support from family and friends.

I only remember seeing a HASS last name.

[quote=“Icon”]Were they using high pressurized powder machines in other parts of the world? Seriously?

Well, usually, the colour festivals are held during the day, so everyone can see the colours, and for safety reasons: Most of this festivals use wheat or rice flour with food colouring to avoid toxicity. The problem with that is that flour is a flammable material, specially when suspended in the air. Wheat flour, specifically, can explode when suspended if it gets near a hot lightbulb. Hence, it is a good idea doing it during the day. At night, you have to rely on high-power illumination, and if they use big old school spotlights (as it seemed to be the case), it would be enough to produce the explosion.

On the emergency side of things, that place is a trap. People can’t evacuate quickly, and as it was pointed out previously, the walls on the sides won’t allow an optimal dispersal of the dust or the evacuation of the people. The park should be sued for holding this activity in an unsuitable time frame and in a dangerous space. The people who managed the show should also be sued for not foreseeing the dangers.

tragic, but will Taiwan overnight become conscientious about safety? I have my doubts.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“Icon”]Were they using high pressurized powder machines in other parts of the world? Seriously?

Well, usually, the colour festivals are held during the day, so everyone can see the colours, and for safety reasons: Most of this festivals use wheat or rice flour with food colouring to avoid toxicity. The problem with that is that flour is a flammable material, specially when suspended in the air. Wheat flour, specifically, can explode when suspended if it gets near a hot lightbulb. Hence, it is a good idea doing it during the day. At night, you have to rely on high-power illumination, and if they use big old school spotlights (as it seemed to be the case), it would be enough to produce the explosion.

On the emergency side of things, that place is a trap. People can’t evacuate quickly, and as it was pointed out previously, the walls on the sides won’t allow an optimal dispersal of the dust or the evacuation of the people. The park should be sued for holding this activity in an unsuitable time frame and in a dangerous space. The people who managed the show should also be sued for not foreseeing the dangers.[/quote]

They used cornstarch which is flammable as shown in a Youtube clip. But actually any food/grain based flour is flammable if the concentration mix oxygen/fuel is just right!