Formosa Water Park explosion (2015)

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=2761445

Last paragraph of this article has me saying, WTF.

Amidst the tragedy, there’s people like “surname WANG” that decided the young adults were not in enough pain, that he had to loot their belongings.

I open up BBC Asia page and all I see is bad news. So glad to read some good news about the support for Alex Haas.

Obviously feel terrible for the victims, what a tragedy this is. But I gotta ask the question, didn’t these people, or at least the organizers of such events really not know how flammable powders of any kind really can be? We literally did experiments in science classes where we were igniting regular household food and baking items. When I heard this tragic story of course I was immediately saddened by it, but a small part of me was like, duh… It really sucks that tragedies like this have to actually happen first before realizing in hindsight how dangerous it was. Heart goes out to the victims.

It’s not the kids fault, because they might necessarily know that powder would be involved, that the organizer would spread an insane amount of powder to choke them. To the kids, it was just a pool party.

The organizer is a crook and deserves the most severe punishment.

[quote=“sofun”]It’s not the kids fault, because they might necessarily know that powder would be involved, that the organizer would spread an insane amount of powder to choke them. To the kids, it was just a pool party.

The organizer is a crook and deserves the most severe punishment.[/quote]

One of the most horrible things I’ve ever seen in my life. Worse than most war scenes or terrorist attacks. And you are correct, the organizer is a criminal and an idiot. They say you shouldn’t put people in prison for being stupid, but I’d make an exception with this guy. Even without the fire, I have to think that such a massive amount of powder being blown on the crowd was extremely unhealthy and that in itself could have caused injury and respiratory damage.

One more kid gone this morning, had just won first place in Asian beauty/makeup artistry/design. Lots of talent and potential.

I guess most events in Taiwan don’t go through a proper safety review process, or at least large events on private venues. So I think the system itself is the problem. It’s like the pipeline explosion, safety issues are ignored until they literally blow up.

Although the fire officials also seem to have been ignorant of fire problems caused by dust clouds, according to a report I read.

abc.net.au/news/2015-06-28/m … an/6578320

They should know that dust clouds easily ignite on their own.

As per video evidence, a short circuit in the stage`s speakers seems to be the most likely culprit. But then, I think probably the dust caused the short…

Yes, and the next big accidental accident will be at the Yenshui Bee Fireworks Festival when people are asked to stand in front of a huge fireworks shooting machine and get hit by fireworks at close range all because it is said to be “fun” and good for tourism dollar$$$ but wait until the Big Accident happens there one of these days, again no proper safety review, the system, etc.

ONLY AFTER people die to things change.

In all seriousness, that’s like a church picnic compared to what they were doing here. I can’t believe anyone thought it was OK to surround people in clouds of flammable dust.

“Who has an idea to solve the Taiwan overpopulation problem?” “well…”

OK, I must confess I haven’t been this heartbroken in a very long time. :frowning: The first time I saw this on the news on Sunday morning, I had to switch channels when they showed the video footage. I couldn’t bear watching those terrified kids caught in the fire, running for their lives. Makes me sick in the stomach now when I start thinking about it.

Then, on Monday afternoon, as I was picking up my kids from kindergarten, I learned that four of the staff there (Kid Castle in Xizhi, if you need to know) were at the event and are among the seriously injured (meaning 80% or more of skin on body burned :cry: ), two of them in critical condition. That really hit home. :frowning: Since then I can’t stop thinking about what happened, about the pain these poor young people must have endured and will still endure for a long time, maybe for the rest of their lives. Those four were wonderful teachers, young, kind and beautiful whom I liked and appreciated very much even if I never told them, regrettably so. I used to see them every day when I sent my kids off on the school bus and when I picked them up again in the evening. I still remember seeing them last Friday all happy and smiling, playing with the kids and waving goodbye. This Monday when I entered the school, I immediately noticed that many familiar faces among the staff were gone and replaced by unfamiliar ones. When I was told what happened I could literally feel my heart sinking.

Anyway, this is the first time that a catastrophe I see in the news hit home like this. Usually you see something bad like this on TV or read about it online, and the next day or week you’ve forgotten about it because your life is not affected. This time it’s very different for me and it’s just heart-wrenching. I can’t even begin to understand what those poor victims are going through and I’ve got only a glimpse of how their family and friends must feel. I’ve been wanting to talk to people I know about what’s going through my head all week, but at the same time I’m hesitant to do so because I don’t want to put a heavy burden on other people that I care about because this is really heavy stuff. I just feel bad for the victims and for being unable to help them. All I can do is donate money and send my prayers.

I wish people on this forum would do the same even if you don’t know any of the victims personally. Unfortunately, most of the 500 victims do not have the opportunity for crowdfunding like the family of the American victim did. There are just too many victims who are faceless and who are now competing for limited resources. All they can count on is the people living in Taiwan donating money through 7-ELEVEN or Family Mart, etc. I can only hope as many people as possible will make a donation, also among the foreigner community living in Taiwan. Thanks for reading.

PS: I want to express my gratitude and highest respect to the staff of all hospitals in Taiwan that are treating the victims of this disaster and who are experiencing incredible stress round the clock since last Saturday night. 加油! :thumbsup:

[quote=“DJCJ”]Thanks for posting the information about Alex Haas. His situation is so horrible, I had to hold myself back from crying. It doesn’t sound like money can buy his survival. Nonetheless, I made a donation to his gofundme: gofundme.com/y2qpd5s

At least his family is with him now.[/quote]

The warm comments to Alex and his family in the donation page are tear jerkers. Read at your own caution.

Severe burn injuries are probably among the very worst (if not THE very worst) to have.

This incident is about as tragic as it can be. Horrible injuries that for quite a few are not going to be survivable. And for those lucky enough to survive, the scars are going to be life long.
Both physical and emotional.

Joining my prayers with others that are praying for all those affected by this horrific incident.

For those of you who want to make a money donation, you can either go to your nearest 7-ELEVEN, Family Mart, Life, or OK convenience store and use their respective ticket vending machines (ibon, etc), or send money to the official donation account below:

in Chinese:

銀行:台灣銀行板橋分行(銀行代碼004)
戶名:新北市社會救濟會報專戶
帳號:027038002803

in English:

SWIFT CODE : BKTWTWTP027
BANK NAME :BANK OF TAIWAN BANCIAO BRANCH
BANK ADDRESS :21 FUJHONG RD. BANCIAO DIST.
NEW TAIPEI CITY 22055,TAIWAN
A/C NO. : 027038002803
A/C NAME : New Taipei City Social Assistance Account
ATTN : Water Park Inferno Assistance Project

Thanks.

[quote=“tommy525”]Severe burn injuries are probably among the very worst (if not THE very worst) to have.

This incident is about as tragic as it can be. Horrible injuries that for quite a few are not going to be survivable. And for those lucky enough to survive, the scars are going to be life long.

Joining my prayers with others that are praying for all those affected by this horrific incident.[/quote]

Quite frankly, I hope they die quickly with lots of morphine. Burn injuries of that severity are rarely survivable. The worst thing about FAEs is that they cause internal burns - the explosive is inhaled.

WTF the organisers/authorities were thinking is quite beyond me. Were they not watching the news when Russia was lobbing thermobaric weapons at Chechnya? Doesn’t Taiwan pride itself on having high science grades? It won’t bring people back from the dead, but someone needs to go to jail for this; just as a reminder that you can’t kill people on mass scale and say, ooops, 不好意思! 沒想到會這樣!

fascinating part is the pain treatment aspect. the balance between killing the person and giving them enough morphine, and the strict guidelines doctors must follow.worst scene any anesthesiologist has seen in taiwan ever i read today, and i’m sure they’re scrambling to keep up. i have my suspicions that they’re not dosing to the full extent for fear of killing patients, which is very unfortunate if that’s the case

Actually, several victims are just mechanically held to what we could call life, or alive as per certain medical parameters. They have also been rotating on the news some formulas to calculate likelihood of death as per age, extent of burns, etc. There is also talk of long term cost care and who is going to pay for what and what the overall cost of treatment for so many patients for so long will do to NHI.

To, well, I cannot say understand because this incident is beyond comprehension, I have seen quotes of about a thousand people at the site. From those, half -500- were hurt. Of those, over 200 -another half- are in intensive carevin 53 hospitals. Most of those in ICU have burns over 70% to 95% of their body.

What will be the parents/society’s reaction as realization sinks in that their children will not make it? When the death numbers reach 3 digits? That is why the counter is going up so slowly.

And as to legal consequences, from the news I see little hope of economic compensation.

[quote=“finley”][quote=“tommy525”]Severe burn injuries are probably among the very worst (if not THE very worst) to have.

Joining my prayers with others that are praying for all those affected by this horrific incident.[/quote]

Quite frankly, I hope they die quickly with lots of morphine. Burn injuries of that severity are rarely survivable. The worst thing about FAEs is that they cause internal burns - the explosive is inhaled.

WTF the organisers/authorities were thinking is quite beyond me. Were they not watching the news when Russia was lobbing thermobaric weapons at Chechnya? Doesn’t Taiwan pride itself on having high science grades? It won’t bring people back from the dead, but someone needs to go to jail for this; just as a reminder that you can’t kill people on mass scale and say, ooops, 不好意思! 沒想到會這樣![/quote]

Sadly I agree with you that those for whom there really is no hope, it would be best if they were to pass away as soon as possible. The pain must be just pure hell.

I read that if you have 3rd degree burns over 60pct of your body, you may not really have much of a chance of survival. I forgot the percentage. But some of these people have burns to 80pct or 90pct.

Yes, the people responsible need to spend 20 years in jail. So that other people will give public safety a second thought, no make that a third thought, a fourth thought.

They apparently used an empty pool and loaded it up with people , then sprayed an explosive powder all over the place. Right all over the floor of the pool, therefore concentrating the blast even more. Its like putting all those hundreds of people into a giant frying pan and having an oil explosion.

They should have sprayed people with colored water, or colored foam or some other inflammable substance instead (making sure no electrocution hazards of course).

It is possible to survive no matter how bad it looks.

“The burns penetrated his muscles and left major organs - his kidneys, liver and lungs - on the verge of shutting down.”

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … pital.html

Note also: “In order to spare him from his excruciating pain, Derek spent four months in an induced coma at Grossman Burn Center, near Los Angeles.”

A Taiwanese reporter for one of the main Mandarin papers told me today, privately, and he heard also privately in his own words by email to me last night: “high position officials told my co-workers privately around 30 people are estimated die…”

So word is out among doctors and city officials, 30 more will die. So so sad. Lets hope miracles happen.