Big Mistake - Scooter Moving

Okay, I admit that I’m not the “nicest” person in the world and I have my flaws. Compared to most western people who live in Taiwan, I probably have less patience. However, I like living here, love my job and am an outgoing person. I have no problems admitting to a mistake.

I’ve been living in my apartment for 18 months now and there have been some misunderstandings between me and the other tenants. I’m the only foreigner. Few people here speak any English. But there have been many small problems that have now become one big problem.

I have the only apartment at street level that opens onto the street. All of the others live in the apartment building. Many people, including me, park their scooters in a hodge podge mess near my front door and on occasion, right in front of my door totally blocking my access to my own apartment. The latter has only happened once or twice but the point is, it has happened.

I have been forced to move scooters on many occasions, hopefully sending a message that they should park at least a few feet from my door. Now, many months and, apparently, many complaints about me later, someone has decided to intentionally damage my motorcyle (not my scooter).

On at least four occasions, the front and back turn signals have been broken over a two week period. At first I thought it was an accident at my school. Numerous scooters and bikes are parked outside the front door of my school, not to mention the heavy foot traffic. So I naturally assumed people were bumping into my bike and cracking the turn signals, which eventually broke. (the turn signal assembly on most motorcycles sticks out and is vulnerable to accidental breakage).

So anyway, I replaced the last turn signal on Wednesday, parked my bike downstairs where I have been parking it for three months, and two days later I get my bike and the signal has been broken. They made it look like it was still attached but I checked it before I moved it. So now there is no doubt someone here is doing it.

I asked my TW friend to come here and talk with the manager, explaining what I have written here, but they seem to feel the onus is on me because of my past transgressions. My friend suggested he write a note in Mandarin saying I’m sorry for appearing to have a bad attitude, and that I have now been informed by the manager of my mistakes. The note also says that I am not the only one to have made a mistake in judgement regarding the scooter parking problem. It goes on to say I’ll try my best to be more reasonable, but that breaking my bike piece by piece is not the answer. If in fact they have a problem, they should come and try to explain to me.

What else could I do here? :help:

Lying in wait for the fucker springs immediately to mind. Other than that, I dunno. You can’t be guarding your bike 24/7. Sounds like you’re going to have to compromise and possibly eat some crow. Or find a secret place to park they don’t know about and then set about a little tit-for-tat.

Quite frankly, I would look for another apartment.

Living on the first floor with scooters blocking your door? People damaging your ride?

There are much better places to live…

I once lived in a neighborhood in Bonn, Germany, where my bicyle was taken apart by some kids and then thrown near the commuter train tracks close by. What’s the point of putting up with this kind of stuff, if you are can choose where to live?

Before I move, however, out of curiosity, I would park my scooter somewhere where there is a camera installed, the recordings of which someone allows you to watch. Gotta find out, which a-hole is doing it…

I had much the same thing happen to me, minus the past transgressions, and I knew who the arse was, while he didn’t know whose bike he was messing with.

At the time, I was teaching an ER doc, privately, and one incident led to having to cancel a class with him. When I explained what had happened, he suggested–not joking–cutting the guy’s break line. Figured that there’d be enough juice in the line to get him around the first corner or two, after which he’d be up to speed and take himself out running into another vehicle. :noway: Seriously. He saw the results at work, every other day. Figured the cops would take one look, shrug, and chalk it up to just one more idiot.

I opted for talking to management, who tried to say, “Without proof, it’s up to you.” Just then, the little bastard came around the corner on his scooter, and I roared at him, something which, with my poor Chinese, came out the wrong way… but far more effective because of the error. :slight_smile: Pretty quickly, his parents, and the management decided that the best thing was for him pay up and apologise.

Ok. Great.

Two weeks later, he moved out.
A month later, my scooter disappeared. :s

I recommend setting up a webcam, getting proof, confronting the bastard, getting your money, and deciding whether you’ll be the one to move, or him. And if you stay, where to park.

Try softer methods in the future.

I don’t understand how moving a scooter is tantamount to damaging yours or causing them problems?!!!? Hello they do it all the time. Gotta move a scooter to get into tight parking spaces and so on. Sounds like racism if you ask me. Even with your friend who doesn’t seem to be really helping out the situation by writing a letter making you take the blame of others actions. Either move, set up a web cam, or park else where(but that can always be found out).

Best of luck.

why not buy a cover for your bike that completely encloses it. or get an alarm system on it. or move.

#1- Find out who is doing it.

Then decide how far you want to go. Me, I’d be tempted to respond in kind. A proportional response.

Namahottie, I think you could play that racism card a “LITTLE” less often. (Note the lack of emoticons so you can’t misconscrew them. :wink: <-friendly wink! Friendly, I say!!! )

Seriously, though, there are often real issues of racism to be addressed here in Taiwan and elsewhere. Personally, I don’t perceive this case as racism; I perceive it as a case of assholism. Perhaps you disagree. If so, I’m not sure why. Feel free to elaborate.

people messin with my ride really burn me up.

I agree that you should consider moving. There’s some nice places opening up lately.

You might catch the guy screwing with your ride and be compelled to damage his person. That would be bad. There would be more repurcussions. neverending. Move, and then cut his brake lines! :wink:

Doesn’t matter if it’s racism or assholism. Sometimes it’s better to walk away. And cut the brake lines when nobodys looking! :wink:

Lying in wait for the fucker springs immediately to mind. Other than that, I dunno. You can’t be guarding your bike 24/7. Sounds like you’re going to have to compromise and possibly eat some crow. Or find a secret place to park they don’t know about and then set about a little tit-for-tat.[/quote]

Yup for sure this passive aggressive shit is crap.
Please do you think for a second that if it was a local who was having his door blocked there would be any of thgis write a note and say I am sorry for moving your bike so I can enter my apt and please don’t break my bike anymore?

This is taiwan the land of “lets see what I can get away with” If you let people treat you like an asshole even once they will just keep pushing to see how far it can go. Stop it now before it gets way out of hand and they start smearing blood and shit on your door.

If you cut the guy’s brake line and they find out, you can be looking at a murder charge which is BAD… either life or firing squads… pick one.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
Seriously, though, there are often real issues of racism to be addressed here in Taiwan and elsewhere. Personally, I don’t perceive this case as racism; I perceive it as a case of assholism. Perhaps you disagree. If so, I’m not sure why. Feel free to elaborate.[/quote]
Why must everything be either/or? Racism and assholism not only aren’t mutually exclusive, they usually go hand in hand. I agree that race doesn’t seem to be the prime motivation for this behavior, but it is certainly a contributing factor.

I think the best thing to do in this situation is move. A proportionate revenge would require a disproportionate effort and therefore not be worth it imo.

I’ve read all the responses to my OP and I’m both glad and surprised. The tit-for-tat thing is an option, but not knowing who is doing this kind of rules that out. I’m not buying a web-cam, and I’m not lying in wait. I know Chinese have a wicked revenge streak in them, especially if it’s an arrogant white boy who did them wrong in their own backyard.

Besides, I like to think I’m above responding in kind. Although it is cliche, two wrongs don’t make it a right. TBQH, after having a long talk with the bitch of a manager, one “young guy” was really pissed off at me for moving his scooter out of my doorway. I actually moved it so it was broadside in the alley. It was the second time he parked directly in front of my door, completely blocking my way (no exaggeration), and he got so angry that he moved out. Apparently he told the manager he was really pissed off with me on a couple of occasions. It seems he’s confused about why he can’t park in front of someone’s door.

So anyway, he moved out and it’s probably one of his little friends that’s doing it. It’s cost me over 1,000 NT so far and five or six trips to the dealer for replacements. They’re looking at me like I’m going around clipping poles with my motorcycle.

Anyway, it’s difficult for me to move without taking a hit on my SD so for now I’m parking my bike around the corner, still in the immediate area but kind of hidden. It’s beside another teacher’s house so it’s safe for now.

I know exactly why they’re targetting my bike and not my scooter; it’s because I’ve been restoring a Kymco 150 and it’s starting to look too good for them to tolerate, I guess. Funny thing is, this has been going on for two weeks and I haven’t moved anyone’s scooter for much longer than that. I think this guy must have been thinking long and hard about how to get back at me and finally realised my motorcylce is easy pickings. So… :unamused:

I kind of agree with the poster who said not to leave the note saying I’m sorry and can’t we all just get along. I have a feeling this guy wanted to send a message that I got too cocky and that I am vulnerable to all sorts of nastiness if I continue my ways. Apparently I should let people park where ever they want and not say a peep.

If in fact it is the guy that the manager is talking about, he also said that he and I had a big argument one night and we didn’t. I’ve never argued with anyone at my apt. The only thing I’ve done is move their scooters from my door. So it sounds like he’s making things up to look more like the victim. Who knows with these people?

So for now I’ll just let the dust settle. I think by know everyone knows I’ve talked to the manager. This is a small apartment. I’ve now taken my bike out of the underground parking lot so, whomever was doing this can have the small victory and any satisfaction that goes along with that. I know one day he will pay the price when he tries the same thing with one of his kind.

However, this experience has made me re-think my opinion on Taiwanese. This was, and is a cowardly, malicious act because it just went on and on. They weren’t satisfied with one or two acts of vandalism. It was every other day for a couple weeks until I finally figured it out. Lord knows they may have slashed my tires or cut my brake lines next.

Rest assured that I now check out my bike thoroughly befor every ride. :frowning:

You need some assistance with your community. Most of these large buildings have a community meeting at a regular frequency. Get your landlord involved, show up and explain the problem. Have a friend translate. Most people will want to hear from you and respect your polite opinion about parking in front of your door. I would minimize the damage done to the scoot and call it simply “retaliation”. Someone who knows who the offender is, will be there and word will get back to him/her. They will not want to lose face beyond this and subsequently refrain. Cutting brake lines and video cams are simply bullshit that will make you look like the aggresor and it is you who will lose face. Talking and reason will go much further to resolve your problem.
Of course, if that doesn’t work a cam and an M16 will.

what if you get an alarm for your motorcycle, then you don’t have to sit and wait for the numbskull.

There is apparently some kind of entitlement thing ogin on with the locals here. Your door is their door I guess. The rule I always follow is never f*ck with anyone unless I’ve lived there for awhile myself. 18 months is awhile, but some of your neighbors have probably lived there their whole lives. As a foreigner in Taiwan you are an easy target, and petty crime is almost impossible to prosecute or get restitution for. Back home, someone does something like that to my bike or someone I know, I could have had their scooter stolen and in Mexico by the end of the week. but I’m here, and if I was in your situation, I would stay quite, try not to get into anyon’es way, apoligize for all of the bad stuff I never did, keep my bike ina safe place, and move out as soon as I can.

Good luck, buddy. you’re in a tough one.

I’ve already concluded that to stay low-profile in this situation is the right thing to do. I think the Japanese have a proverb that says: “The nail that sticks up the most gets pounded down the hardest”…or something to that effect.

I have never had any intention of sticking out in Taiwan. :sunglasses:

In fact, quite the opposite. I’ve certainly learned a valuable lesson here. Most lessons remembered are indeed the lessons that hurt the most. You’re right though. It doesn’t matter what I have or have not done, real or imagined, they’re gonna make me pay for me standing my ground.

Just to update everyone, I have moved my motorcycle and since I moved it there has been no damage done. It’s not hard to find so I’m sure the vandals know where it is and might be happy they’ve won. I say fine, they can have their victory as long as they leave me alone. These people don’t mean anything to me, personally, so it doesn’t hurt my pride.

If there’s anymore damage, I’m gone. :raspberry:

[quote=“wonder”]I’ve already concluded that to stay low-profile in this situation is the right thing to do. I think the Japanese have a proverb that says: “The nail that sticks up the most gets pounded down the hardest”…or something to that effect.
[/quote]

It’s =The nail that sticks up, get hammered down. And oh so true if you go drinking with a group of Japanese business men :laughing:

In the post to start this thread you said:

“Okay, I admit that I’m not the “nicest” person in the world…”

just take it from there, be nice to the people around you, greet your neighbours with a smile, dress yourself properly, keep your music down, stuff like that works wonders…

in our building we have two influential persons, one is a granny who talks a lot, and another is the garbage-collecting lady who talks a lot too… those two sit at the front door gossiping all the time entertaining the bored doormen…

what better topic to talk about than a foreign guy living in the building…

so I greet them nicely and give them the impression that I am a polite guy with manners, a solid job, a long-term relationship with a polite girl with manners… (yeah, right… :smiley: )

yep, and don’t forget to separate your garbage…

Namahottie, I think you could play that racism card a “LITTLE” less often. (Note the lack of emoticons so you can’t misconscrew them. :wink: <-friendly wink! Friendly, I say!!! )

Seriously, though, there are often real issues of racism to be addressed here in Taiwan and elsewhere. Personally, I don’t perceive this case as racism; I perceive it as a case of assholism. Perhaps you disagree. If so, I’m not sure why. Feel free to elaborate.[/quote]

I’m going to disagree here. Would this have happened if the OP was Taiwanese?