Big plastic airtight containers

As I will move later this year, I want to store some of my spare PC components in big plastic tubs, but since EVERYTHING in Danshui gets covered in mould from the humidity, I would like to store things in large plastic airtight containers. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Interested as well. As yet, havent found anything that isnt insanely expensive and prohibitively heavy.

You can however easily buy fairly sturdy plastic bags and an impulse sealer. Its not great for our health/environment but they work 100%. Some silica gel packs for good neasure. If its just computer accessories , appropriate bag sizes are available everywhere.

Rubber sealed glass jars work equally as well, and are arguably more friendly to our health long term. But their size ranges ar limted and breakage is similar other of punctures in bags. Would work well for hard drives, cards, or any small stuff. And very reusable for after the move.

Have used said bags for a couple decades to store very important items of small size. Bags can be put into boxes/totes to protect against punctures.

1 Like

Would probably put them in vacuum-sealable bags, maybe with those dehumidifying sachets, inside non-airtight containers. The regular plastic containers, even the ones with seals, aren’t that airtight (I’ve tested it with humidity sensors inside and outside - no real difference, even with a dehumidifying bag inside), and the actual airtight containers for photography equipment etc. are pretty expensive, especially for larger sizes.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely gonna stock up on Silica Gel. Many of the components I’ve acquired are increasingly rare vintage components. Maybe I might get a big tub and smaller tupperware type containers to house each component in with copious amounts of Silica Gel.

1 Like

A 55-gallon food grade plastic drum? If it’s not too big!

It is really worth it to seal and put some silica inside. If you dont need much ,i can send you some bags and silica. Company is fine with a few missing ones, they are cheap.

Here is what i use at home. Note, mostly for food but also us e bags for very old photos and fragile family type things.

Use these bags, tried, tested and true. Glass jars from ikea i think. Not sure, i didnt buy them.

Those big blue ones? They are decent actually, but they arent 100% airtight. Great for bug protection and food processing/storage. But not 100% on humidity protection.

1 Like

Will definitely take a look!

Doesn’t food need 100% humidity protection?

1 Like

Yes. Its one of the few times i am willing to forgo eco friendly whatevers. The plastic bags are 100% and remain so for many years as per our experiments. That said, thy puncture very easily.

The blue containers are used on bulk. And you might not want to know how commodity products are actually stored…they are bug/animal proof though. So if stored under refrigeration and such ,they are quite good! Reality may be different.

1 Like

Ooh yea. They’re circuit boards so they’re gonna have sharp edges. Are they multiuse?

Honestly, i can see that being a big issue. If its ok to use, i would loosely wrap them in cardboard to protect the edges. Sun dry the cardboard first or the silica will be meaningless :wink:

Those bags look like Mylar. Same thing I use for long term food preservation.

Bubble wrap might work better for circuit boards

I go to Showba for stuff like that

The worry would be the corners can rip through that as well. Perhaps a bubble wrap, then corrugated around that for durability?

How is plastic around circuitry though? If seals fail, dryness not achieved. What is the best material to be in physical contact with such components? I have now idea. But with food i already worry because this means mold as plastic just condenses moisture and makes its contacts wet, not just humid. With food we cant use cardboard due to sanitation issues ,but it would make things easier if cleanliness werent an issue.

Most circuit boards are packaged in anti static bags maybe with some desiccant. I don’t think you need more than that.

Otherwise they sell those boxes you put cameras in.

I know this.

Some of these parts are extremely rare. I’m moving into a small place, everything needs to be as organised and dry as it is accessible. Having parts stacked on top of each other is a no no.

Then get one of those boxes for camera, they are airtight, and should work well for your purpose. Otherwise food containers will do as well.

Only if you have money to burn.

A possible way is vacuum sealing the parts individually and using a normal storage box.