Big Wasp/Hornet thingies

Once or twice a week one of those big, reddish, wasp like creatures (but 4 times or so bigger) makes its way into our apartment. My girlfriend freaks out a little that we, or she, is gonna get stung. I’m fairly blase because they seem to leave if you give them some space and an open window. Should we be worried? Will these things sting? And if they do how bad will it hurt? And what are they called?

And related to that anyone know a good source for the flora and fauna of Taiwan. In English?

They don’t sting if … not threatend, you are not approaching their nesting area … don’t use deodorant, perfume and don’t wear black clothes when outside in nature and possibly could disturb their nest.

I made these pics last year and was about 10 cm from the hornet and it didn’t even disturb the beast …

I need some to come and eat the aphids off my pot plants.

Catch some ladybugs … they’ll eat aphids

For fauna, try some of these places:

http://www.gio.gov.tw/info/ecology/English/bow_e/bow_e.htm

http://fishdb.sinica.edu.tw/2001new/english/english.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fauna_of_Taiwan

Belgian Pie, thanks again for the fine photos and the (sort of :wink:) assurance these things aren’t going to hurt.

Somimi, thanks very much for those links. They’re a little scant, tho, have you noticed? Perhaps they focus only on the flora and fauna strictly endemic to the island? And I got all excited to see that Taiwan has a leopard, only to learn elsewhere that its thought to be extinct. How cool and sad is that. Mainly sad.

And mod, why have you moved this thread to ‘Pets’? Having hornets fly into your apartment is about living in Taiwan in my book. Health, even, but pets?

Oh, just caught the ‘other animals’ in the title. I see the logic. Don’t think I’d lump them all together, but fair enough.

They’re big enough to be pets. Hell, they are bigger than my pets.

They are looking for caterpillars to take home and lay eggs in. They may fly up and down your legs and arms, scanning for worms… but they normally don’t atack unless threatened. If they do attack, it can be extremely painful, like a bad scorpion sting. Much worse than a bee sting. Multiple stings can be fatal.

The large red wasps here have been known to kill people, such as two years ago occured with a group in the Red River Valley near WuLai, and other groups hiking in other further afield ranges that summer… I would guess that the nest was very close to the trail, and that perhaps someone threw stone at it or otherwise disturbed it. Be aware that these wasps can be dangerous but generally are not if you leave them alone. Don’t swat them away! Not using perfumes or floral smells is known to be effectve for the European wasps, Vespa vulgaris, as adult wasps will often visit flowers to get sugar water for their own flight energy, which is also why you sometimes find them drowning and hence very angry in your soft-drink can. I am not sure if the same goes for the wasps in Taiwan, most of which are NOT vespa vulgaris.

As I said, they’ll attack when you’re to close to the nest and feel threatend. Any wasp will … It’s not about flower smells but about pheromones that are components in the odours … wearing black clothes is also not good, the wavelenght of it has something that attracts them …

… here’s a link

A friend and I had several big orange furry bee/wasp/pterodactyl things harrass us one time in Kending right after we put on some Hawaiian Tropic Suntan lotion. We ended up diving into the water to escape them.

I know avoid wearing anything that makes me smell like a Pina Colada :slight_smile:

Pot plants? :slight_smile:

[quote]They are looking for caterpillars to take home and lay eggs in. They may fly up and down your legs and arms, scanning for worms… but they normally don’t atack unless threatened. If they do attack, it can be extremely painful, like a bad scorpion sting. Much worse than a bee sting. Multiple stings can be fatal.

The large red wasps here have been known to kill people, such as two years ago occured with a group in the Red River Valley near Wulai, and other groups hiking in other further afield ranges that summer.[/quote]

What the feck!! I thought they just looked mean. This would really worry my g/f if I told her. I suppose there’s more danger riding around on my scooter but …

I’m assuming that the fatalities were from a great many stings? Multiple bee and wasp stings can also kill. I’d like to know more detail about the Wulai incident.