BigDave’s weight loss progress

Sounds good. And it sounds like you know what you’re doing. Good luck!

1 Like

Everyone runs faster when they are Mad As Fuck. :joy:

It is interesting stuff, but if you notice the recommended heart rate, you’ll see that it’s right about where you are pushing an edge but not overdoing it. That’s been a successful strategy forever.

You should make a video log.

I have debated doing that. That would certainly up the accountability stakes. Let me get through the first week and see how I am doing.

1 Like

Very interesting. I will be giving running another try starting soon. Maybe I’ll give this a try.

day 0 = 173lb
day 1 = 174lb
day 2 = 172lb
day 3 = 171lb

Muscle rest day. Another low carb day = indonesian peanut salad (pecel w/o rice) and fish.

@BigDave how’s your meal?

2 Likes

At the risk of giving some unwanted advice, I should point out that ‘low carb days’ are a bit pointless. If you don’t stay consistently low-carb for at least a few days, your body will have no incentive to recalibrate the way it stores and recycles fat, which is the aim of the game. If you try to stick to those low-carb meals all day, every day, for a week or two, you’ll see much better results, and it’ll be largely painless.

I believe his low carb days are followed by 2 days of fasting and then another low carb day. Does that count as a consistent low carb diet, or does the fasting mess up something else in the metabolism?

That is the plan. Fast and then stay low carb on the days I eat. I didn’t succeed today. My wife made homemade pizzas and not eating them would have killed me faster than my big belly.

The recalibration (Fat adaption) happens a lot faster with fasting. I agree that eating keto every day will get you there.

In the end, even if I don’t go into ketosis or I go in and out, I don’t mind. As long as the weight goes down.

day 0 105.4kg daily Total
day 1 103.6kg -1.8kg -1.8kg
day 2 102.8kg. -0.8kg -2.6kg
day 3 104.1kg +1.3kg -1.3kg

Not bad. Kind of inline with my aim of 2kgs a week. Ate way too much today. Wanted to eat low carb, but…
To pay for losing self control, I started weight training earlier than i had planned.

3 times 6 to 8 reps Press
3 times 6 to 8 reps front squat
3 times 6 to 8 reps bent over row

See ya tomorrow!

1 Like

I failed miserably to stay low carb so didn’t take a picture. I planned to eat ikea meatballs and vegetables with a cheese and salami omelet. High fat and high protein. I will be experimenting with the quantities to get the right macros. This will be my go to.

If you really want to go low carb. Steak and broccoli is the best. The above things i like to eat anyway so that is why i will go that route.

Yeah that happens with me, I look ill but feel great! So I stay 2 kg+ over to look better.
Tummy and tits still there :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Man, you’re going to have a tough go if your wife isn’t on board with your diet.

She wants me to lose the belly, but keep the chubby face. She is more concerned with me doing some exercise and putting some size back on my arms and shoulders. Like when we got married. I asked her to try and regain her cheerful personality. I now sleep on the couch.

To be fair to her, she knew I was fasting, but thought I was free to eat whatever when I did eat. She didn’t know I was going low carb so she made me something I love.

My first priority is to fast Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. That is the minimum.

The aim is to eat low carb/keto on Tuesday/Thursday/ Sunday.

Sunday will be the hardest. Not going to stress it though. As long as the weight is coming off.

Exercise will be introduced more and more as the weight goes down.

3 Likes

I look ill and also feel bad. I’m always hungry and my workouts suffer. I’m convinced that it’s not the ideal weight for me. Stupid BMI index!

If you are holding a reasonable amount of muscle, BMI is next to useless. Try your waist to height ratio and see where you are on that scale.

1 Like

ah, ok, I see @BigDave is doing that, but I thought @pin2xbo was doing something different. Carry on!

My ratio is 0.47, which I guess is healthy. Interesting. I’m fat with the BMI index.

I hate how BMI is used in physicals here, followed by advice to lose weight. I want to tell them that I can swim 1500m in such and such time, and cycle up mountains, and hike a 3 km course with over an 8% gradient in a certain time, etc., but I just stay silent and nod with a smile on my face.

3 Likes

Some science on the validity of using Big Dave’s waist-to-height ratio:

Waist-to-height ratio is more predictive of years of life lost than body mass index - PubMed (nih.gov)

4 Likes

Hahaha! That’s so funny.

Honestly not sure if we are doing the diet correctly. I follow what she cooks. Cooking is hard. Takes a lot of mental.

I just focus on the exercise. Easier…

3 Likes

day 0 = 173lb
day 1 = 174lb
day 2 = 172lb
day 3 = 171lb
day 4 = 171lb

120 pushups; 100 situps ; 5 min plank. Medium carb day.

3 Likes