Bigger 'bikes' at last

My local Yamaha dealer is offering 250cc Majesty from September. So I guess the change in the law has gone through.

Can’t say I’m going to be first in line for one though, IMHO its a nasty looking pig on stilts.

Does anyone have more details about what c.c. limits have been set, and whether there might be further deregulation?

Has anyone seen any other models available?

Kymco 250 (photo courtesy of Poagao).

Actually, that model is already on sale in Europe - and for an MIT manual gear bike it looks extremely good…

I don’t mind. I would have posted it myself if I had been quicker to the draw than Sandy. Our company is going to be doing the advertising for the bikes, it seems. I sat on it in the lobby and it felt a bit plasticy, but I’m not sure if that’s because it’s new or not. I would like to give it a trial, though. Kymco wants to ask NT$180,000 for it, but after a survey not many people seemed willing to pay that much for a Kymco, no matter what size, so the price hasn’t been fixed yet.

Here’s the website, with more models and pictures.

Just a thought - this is the first time in Taiwan that I have ever seem an advertising picture of a piece of mechanised transport without some scantily clad bimbo draped all over it.

This place is going down the tubes!

BH, of course the above is NOT the official advertisement photo. How could you seriously think the bike would sell without a “mei mei” on it?

Poagao: You only sat on the bike or…?

Has anybody got any real idea of what the new rules are and how they are going to effect us.

Paogao, any chance of somebody from Kymco giving us the gen required ?

Anybody heard what the big boys in the motorcycling world are going to do with the lifting / changing of the current restrictions.

Long live the day we can ride something bigger than a measly 125 scooter !!

I just sat on it. They are having a promotion where you pay a few thousand NT to ride the thing around a parking lot in a couple of weeks, but I figure I’ll wait until July when theoretically I can do it for free at a dealer.

I talked with a typical motorcycle dealer/repair guy last night, and he said that their association would be meeting in July on the subject. Apparently the government has yet to get off its ass and realize that anything is going to happen. A range of licenses, the present one, one for 150-400(250?)cc, and one for (250?)400cc+ bikes, will be implemented, with different tests and road access for each class. I’ve heard that no bikes will be allowed on the freeway, but that would be a bit pointless on a motorcycle anyway.

I suspect that, however, since 100% of the legislators either drive or are driven around in black benzes, they couldn’t care less about anything two-wheeled.

Another thing is the price. Kymco wants to sell the thing for NT$180,000, but a quick search on google will reveal that it’s selling for the equivalent of NT$139,000 in France and an estimated NT$112,000 in the states. The bike is produced in Kaohsiung. One reviewer said it had a hard time getting moving, so I guess it’s going to be pretty slow, but I wouldn’t be buying it for the speed (my present motorcycle is likely faster already than the Venox), but rather the feeling and stability. I don’t mind the look of the thing, either.

quote:
Originally posted by Poagao: I've heard that no bikes will be allowed on the freeway, but that would be a bit pointless on a motorcycle anyway.
Perhaps you could explain your logic in a bit more detail. If you wanted to go from Taipei to Kaohsiung wouldn't the logical route be by freeway? Wouldn't it be safer too? Route 1 is endless traffic lights and the 3 or 15/61 coast road is scarcely better. When I lived in USA and UK we used the freeway (motorway) all the time. Why can't anyone here see that motorcycles are quite useful for *transport*, not just for fetching the shopping!

I meant that, for me, using the highway would seem a bit pointless as I would probably take the train or fly if all I wanted to do was get to Kaohsiung and not really see anything on the way. If I did, I would ride my motorcycle on the provincial routes. I recognize the fact that taking the highway has it uses, however, so I said “a bit pointless” rather than “entirely pointless”. That is, I would like to be able to use the highways, but I can do without it.

Poagao, if your only problem is to go from Taipeh to Kaohsiung you may be right about the freeway, but there are many other situations that differ: If I go to Chiayi (from Taichung), the best choice at this time is highway #1. While I like a few spots along that route and in most cases still can enjoy the ride, I’ve been through that route a number of times. I don’t need to look at any road signs: I know where which sign says what, I could almost “fly by instruments”.
Now of course I could just use Zun Long or the train and sometimes I do, but I would prefer to have my bike in Chiayi when I am there because I might want to get around with my girl friend - to Lan Tan perhaps… If I could go on the freeway, the route wouldn’t take two hours or more like now, maybe not even one hour. Maybe they don’t want to open the freeway for bikes now, but after a while they will have to.
The price story is really a weird thing. 180k would only work as long as there would be heavy import taxes on all bikes. The bike’s main disadvantage: No matter how good it may be, it will always be “guo chan”, not “jin kou” - which is an important difference in many people’s mind. Btw, aren’t those taxes on vehicles and consumer goods one of the things that are going to change?

Point taken. I suppose it’s different for everyone. I was just speaking for myself. If I wanted to have my bike in Kaohsiung and didn’t have the time or inclination to ride down on provincial highways, I would probably put it on the train with me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the government is not making any plans for taxes or licenses, etc., and, if they do anything at all, it will be something slapped together at the last minute. I just don’t think they can be bothered with any matter pertaining to such plebian transport as scooters.

Even just getting from one end of Taipei to the other, using the freeway is often quicker. I wish I could go on the freeway. I wonder if they are going to let ‘big bikes’ on the freeway, I could get my 150CC (technically 149) hollowed out a little and reclassified? Probably not.

Bri

Clearly for the motorway what you want is a nice comfy touring bike at about 1100cc so you can burble about with minimum fuss and a nice Stella on the back.

Hexuan, even in Ireland it should be hard to find a place to ride such a bike. Most of your roads don’t differ that much from the taiwanese…

But something else: It think the officials in charge will be awarded for this masterpiece. While they will generally allow bigger bikes, the key to ride them (the license) will be VERY hard to get - at least as far as I was told. My girl friend saw a report on tv (TVBS?) about the new regulations regarding the practical license exam for heavy bikes. It seems that you have to accelerate to 65km/h on a somehow short track and then brake until stop within an even shorter distance. After this “high speed exam” there will also be a “low speed exam”, where you have to go very slowly through a track that is only slightly wider than the bike’s wheels. Now the MVD can really open a box office at the gate, beside the “fun show” on the test ground for “smaller” bikes there will soon be the breathtaking performances of Taiwans bike artists on the exam track for heavy bikes one can enjoy watching. Perfectly legal - and perfectly nonsense…
I still hope that report got a few facts wrong, but something tells me all this sounds too strange to be untrue…

Just curious…I saw many foreigners ride bike here, do they have license? or change the one by international lience…

I heard one of my friends he said " I don’t have, just open eyes and avoid the police"…

Just curious… I saw many Taiwanese ride bikes (or better: scooters) here. Do they all have a license? And are they all 18 or above?
Just curious…

olaf

Good question!

In fact, they might don’t have. But you know, foreigner rider always be recognized easily much more than local people on the road. Unless…the police shame for speaking English…I heard the reason before…

Don’t worry, I will never report to the police, when I know someone donesn’t have…

The roads here are appalling. And it’s cold and rains all the time. And there is cowdung all over the roads, and manhole covers on the racing line of every corner. Just the sort of place to ride a motorbike. I am thinking of setting up a Explore the Hedges of Ireland vacation programme for holiday makers.

Personally, I think they should ban all motorbikes. Or at least encourage people to take public transportation. Those bikes are such a major air pollutant and eyesore. I hear they have been adding more lines to the MRT. Anyone know the status and know links to construction pics/station designs??