Bike lanes in Taiwan...hahahahahaha

Yeah, I wish they’d just build paths suitable for 23mm tires at 120psi and then everyone would be happy. In my local MRT station is a huge poster promoting cycling, and it pictures cyclists riding on wooden boarding. :aiyo:

[quote=“Incubus”]Bike “lanes” shouldn’t even be paved and should be left in their pristine condition.

[/quote]

absolutely, and road bikes should be ridden on the road like they was meant to be.

Instead of complaining about the state of existing bike lanes, why not see it as a good thing that they were built in the first place? I enjoy following the (slow but steady) general improvements of the urban environment. Some cities have come a long way since the early nineties in terms of improving traffic conditions. We shouldn’t forget how difficult it is to find room for dedicated bike lanes, considering how crowded most cities are. I also think car owners in Taiwan are amazingly willing to give up their parking space not only to bike lanes but also to scooter parking as part of getting scooters off side walks and building corridors.

[quote=“Incubus”]Bike “lanes” shouldn’t even be paved and should be left in their pristine condition.

[/quote]

MOst riverside paths were once roads. They were left in their original condition. :laughing:

But I’m with hannes here. 95% of the paths are excellent and can be ridden on a road bike at a decent speed. Some sections are designed to keep people going slow. Big deal. So go slow and enjoy the area. If you want to race there are plenty of options.

Agree with hannes and mm. As long as you avoid Sunday’s, the bike paths are generally fine for riding. If you’re a serious cyclist who wants a challenge or speed, head up into the hills and mountains - Taiwan is full of fantastic riding and a lot of it is relatively close to the cities.

The path from Dongshi to Houli (now districts but were townships in Taichung County at the time it was built) is quite good. If you want to ride fast, however, don’t go on weeends…

can you show this on a google map, please?[/quote]
I don’t know about Google, but the Xinbei City Government’s cycling site has its own map.[/quote]

I did Yingge to guandu and back in 4 hours yesterday, OK bikepath I think.

If the weather stays dry, plan to repeat this upcoming Sunday. bikes can be rented in Yingge.

Is there such a thing as a GPS navigation device for cyclists that can guide you along the bike paths and bike-friendly routes in Taiwan?

There are some available from Amazon, but I wonder if they could be used in Taiwan. Do any of you use one or know of one that works well here?

I don’t know about Google, but the Xinbei City Government’s cycling site has its own map.[/quote]

I did Yingge to Guandu and back in 4 hours yesterday, OK bikepath I think.

If the weather stays dry, plan to repeat this upcoming Sunday. bikes can be rented in Yingge.[/quote]

Try the other way. It’s really nice riding south from Yingge to Shimen reservoir.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Is there such a thing as a GPS navigation device for cyclists that can guide you along the bike paths and bike-friendly routes in Taiwan?

There are some available from Amazon, but I wonder if they could be used in Taiwan. Do any of you use one or know of one that works well here?[/quote]

Sure, in Taiwan the Garmin Edge 500, Edge 705, Edge 800, Oregon 550t and Dakota 20 cycling GPS units are all available. Although the Dakota and Oregon are more hiking oriented. For turn by turn directions and map routing you’d probably be better off looking at the Edge 705 or Edge 800. The Edge500 is capable of doing basic waypoint navigation, but it’s a bit crude and better suited to training / route logging purposes.

At our bike shop, Warehouse 185, we’ve currently got a promotion running on the Edge units as follows:
Edge 500 : NT$4,990
Edge 705 : NT$8,990
Edge 800 : NT$10,990
[Prices include ANT+ wireless speed and cadence sensor unit, plus all standard Garmin accessories]

More info on the Garmin website’s cycling section

Let me know if I can help.

If the weather stays dry, plan to repeat this upcoming Sunday. bikes can be rented in Yingge.[/quote]

Try the other way. It’s really nice riding south from Yingge to Shimen reservoir.[/quote]

I did yesterday, IE rode from the big pond in Longtan to Yingge and back.

Very nice until the rain started, and I am surprised that you can actually ride on marked out and mostly dedicated trails from Longtan to Shisanhang. Interesting indeed.

Try the other way. It’s really nice riding south from Yingge to Shimen reservoir.[/quote]

Very nice until the rain started, and I am surprised that you can actually ride on marked out and mostly dedicated trails from Longtan to Shisanhang. Interesting indeed.[/quote]

Supposedly you can ride from the Hsinchu HSR to Taipei. It’s part of the two round the island bike paths they are working on now.

They have a “National Bike Path” in my backyard.

The round the island route will connect everything, including all those dinky little paths that some places have. One inland and one coastal.

That is fantastic - any timeline for when this will be completed?

It’s not going to be like that stupid cross-Canada trail is it, with lots of little stretches labelled “Cross-Canada Trail” to collect grants, but no actual connections between them? I love my annual August in Vancouver, but when I’m there, I miss Taipei’s cycling paths.

[/quote]
This piqued my curiosity so I looked it up.

This map shows the coastal path will be 1022k and the inland path 907k. The article was published in 2009 and it says they would be completed in 4 years, so that means in 2013 we can all ride around Taiwan in these dedicated bike lanes.

Very nice until the rain started, and I am surprised that you can actually ride on marked out and mostly dedicated trails from Longtan to Shisanhang. Interesting indeed.[/quote]

Supposedly you can ride from the Xinzhu (Hsinchu) HSR to Taipei. It’s part of the two round the island bike paths they are working on now.[/quote]

Hsinchu Taipei is a cinch anyway…the coastal highway runs all the way from Taipei to Taichung, has many lanes and dedicated shoulders and is pretty much free of traffic. You’ll end up at Bali.

My sons nanny’s husband and friends bike a lot, however the husband on a NT$3k giant, and the friends on folding bikes. They talked a lot about the coastal highway as being great for biking - you make me want to try.

It’s not going to be like that stupid cross-Canada trail is it, with lots of little stretches labelled “Cross-Canada Trail” to collect grants, but no actual connections between them? I love my annual August in Vancouver, but when I’m there, I miss Taipei’s cycling paths.[/quote]

No, it’s meant in part to connect all those little lanes, and to establish more. It’s worth pointing out that parts of the routes will be on roads. But they will be minor coungtry roads and will be well signed. This is what it is like south of Yingge to Shimen Reservour. 95% is dedicated bike lanes but a few km are on these tiny farm roads. I saw two cars the day I rode them and they were simple to follow will clear signs at every turn. the routes were well chosen too to be scenic. I rode a bit of a parellel road on the way back and it was a typical backroad eyesore. So it seems the routes are also helping with rural regeneration.

Last year I also saw how they were creatng a route down the east coast on the farm roads west of highway 9. It’s a maze back there so they had maps and signs at the appropriate turns. Should be great as the area is beautiful and has almost no traffic except the occassional local farmer.

Routes are supposed to be ready by the end of 2012. May be a little later though as I have heard some areas, such as on the NE coast, are protesting having the lanes go through their community. Also, I think it will be a few more years before we can get a bike lane from Suao to Hualien though the new highway is supposed to have one (and I see no reason for it not to).

I’ve noticed some new urban bike lanes in taipei that run along wide sidewalks. Followed one from the riverside paths at Gongguan through Shida last night as far as Taipower MRT. Was pretty good especially the first part alongside the new Hakka Cultural Centre.

Read this today and am wondering if the city is not quietly putting in more rideable lanes in the downtown area and not just along the rivers.

You do see a lot of sidewalk expansion these days so it would be great if they were also useful for biking. Also see a lot of new access ramps and bridges and what not leading from the city to the riverside lanes. I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t going in without fanfare after the disastrous Dunhua experience. “Let’s build it and if it’s good we can take credit later. If it’s shit no one will notice.”