Bike Shops

Hi all

Apologies if this has been posted before and this is a stupid question.

Where are best places to buy a new 150-250cc bike in Taipei?

All i see are scooter shops :frowning:

Thanks

what kind of bike and from what manufacturer do you have in mind?
maybe you have a picture handy ortell us if you want a chopper/cruiser, or sportsbike or dirtbike orā€¦
there are plenty of shops for all kind of bikes, but admittingly scooters are by far the most.

Hi Stefan

Iā€™d like either a cruiser style or an off roader.

I donā€™t have any specific model in mind, I want something thats conveinent for both town commuting and travelling around the island.

Thanks

well, in that case you should check the thread about absolute 250cc bikes, they discussed just the same question.
i for myself found a 200cc bike very suitable for both commuting and weekend fun around the island. it comes as an off-roader or supermoto, from 125/150/200cc. prices are reasonable since its a taiwan-made bike, brand ā€˜hartfordā€™
check this website: http://www.hartford-motors.com.tw/hartford_en/product/products.htm

if thatā€™s what you like we can give you some addresses where you can check the bikes themselfes.

have a nice day

cheers stefan

Thats the sort of thing Iā€™m looking for the VR looks like fun.

How much do they cost?

Thanks
Stuart

hi stuart,

good choice. i have the 200cc version and paid 92K base, including insurance and registration. later on i had some minor modifications (stiffer fork and better rear suspension), came to 10K additionally, plus some good gear. thats not cheap either, but i go with the saying: you get what you pay for. Pay cheap and it will be cheap and of no help in case of need. are you an experienced biker or new to it? so you might even have some atlready.
the 125cc or 150cc models will be a lot cheaper (i was a bit blinded by the more prestigues ā€œ200ā€), they will be around 60-70K i guess, im not totally sure but you can ask on that website at the contact info. they also tell you where the nearest store to your house is. http://www.hartford-motors.com.tw/hartford_en/ask/ask110e_h.jsp (read the text above carefully, its a gem :smiley: )
when you get there (any shop) make sure you can take a bike of your desire out for a ride not just around the block - a mistake i did when i got it. i was blinded again by the looks, i wanted it so i didnā€™t care (and did not know a thing about) what i should be aware of.

hope that helps a bit

So Stefan (or should I say ā€œYour Excellencyā€), are you enjoying a lot of perections because of your new bike? :laughing:

Woopsie! Double post.

:banana: you have no ideaā€¦ :snivel:

Once again cheers Stefan.

That sounds like a fair price and the 200 looks great.

Iā€™m relatively new to this. Iā€™ve got a 13 year old Sym cruiser style (harley wannabe) which has been good to get experience on but I will take my bike test in August (time to go legit after a year here) and treat myself to a new bike at the same time.

Should probably get good protection as well, Iā€™m riding like 90% of Taiwanese and most expats as well at the moment. T-shirt, shorts and sandals. All fun and cool until i hit tarmac. I must be :loco:

Stuart

[quote] I will take my bike test in August (time to go legit after a year here) and treat myself to a new bike at the same time.

Should probably get good protection as well, Iā€™m riding like 90% of Taiwanese and most expats as well at the moment. T-shirt, shorts and sandals. All fun and cool until i hit tarmac. I must b[/quote]

always a good start. i am very conservative and want to have it right from the spot so i got a good jacket with plenty of protectors, pants for summer and winter with knee protectors and padding for the hips, boots and a good full-face helmet, non of the ā€˜tupperware bowlsā€™ as someone once called the cheap rubbish they sell here. a lot of dosh though, but worth it. its my only first-line insurance when it comes to a crash. you can check out various threads about this in this forum. all made their own experiences. its a good advce anyway to read trough the threads, many of your questions will find an answer.

see ya, iā€™m off riding a bit. been dying to do that since many days.

stefan

maybe you want to check tis out:
http://forumosafieds.com/detail.php?siteid=704

i hear its a great bike too, but have never ridden. maybe someone else can fill inā€¦