Bike Thieving

I use a D-Lock for my bicycle but it’s only big enough to go through the wheel and frame. Is an additional cable lock to tie it to something else recommended or is the D-Lock good enough?

[quote=“k.k.”]

I wouldn’t trust locking my bicycle up anywhere in Taipei, seriously. Even inside apartment buildings they go missing. It’s not hard to get into a building here.[/quote]

They stole my piece-of-crap, 700 ntd worth bike from inside the building. If you own anything above 1000ntd it is worth the effort of hauling it to your living room.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

The OP is talking about leaving outside the library not his house at night.

Whenever I go to the public library, I always carry my bike up the staircase to the second floor where the library entrance is. I would leave my bike unlocked in the staircase, usually for one or two hours maximum. I figured that potential bike thieves will be less likely to frequent a library (because library-goers are generally cultured people, aren’t they? :slight_smile:). And even if there was someone interested in stealing my bike, he’d have to carry it down through the staircase or take the elevator, all of which would be more risky than if the bike were parked in the street. I’ve done that for maybe two years without problem. But there’s always a lingering uneasiness about it. So I’ve finally acquired a cable lock for more peace of mind.

Heh, there are 2 types of people who steal bikes: thieves and opportunists, sounds like you’ve been lucky so far to avoid any opportunists helping themselves to an unlocked bike.

Cable lock, easily cut with small bolt cutters, cheap D-Locks can easily be opened by a freezing aerosol and a hammer - the more expensive D-Locks need a small grinder.

I was the victim of an opportunist thief earlier this week…
While I was having dinner at Subway, there was a guy that was going to his scooter which I parked my bike beside, I saw him looking at my bike and looking around while I was eating and felt that the guy was sketchy but didn’t think anything of it.

Soon after when I went outside, I realized that the guy had stole my flashlight. Bastard.
Small item and was only $350NT but still… hate thieves.

You could have looked for CCTV of him stealing it. Fortunately this behaviour is not too common.

With CCTV cameras being everywhere in Taiwan, there weren’t any there from what I could see. :doh:
I zip tied my new flashlight to my bike now, a pair of scissors or nail clippers will still cut them loose but at least it would prevent these opportunist thieves.

I think I am going to go with a one of those massive chain locks that I’ve usually used with my motorcycles.

Its hard to find a bike with a frame big enough for me in Taiwan (most bikes are only produced in XS, SM and Med frames for the Taiwan market) but I recently found a nice Giant with an XL frame strong enough to handle my weight (‘town bikes’ crumple under me with a quickness). As you can imagine it was not cheap. The problem is its just too much of a pain-in-the-ass to carry the bike in and out of my apt everytime… that was kinda the point… having something quick and convenient to get around on rather than dealing with the car and parking garage.

Its big, white, shiny and stands out… likely only be a matter of time… Ill let you know how long it survives

Quick question, where can I find a Kryptonite U-lock (aka D-lock) in Taipei? I don’t see them very often at bike racks around the city, most just use cheap useless cable locks. Thanks for any info!

Hi Ayn,

I purchased mine through Evan’s Cycles in the UK. I received free shipping at the time and paid about 10% import fees. You can usually find a coupon for 10 % - 20% off which should cover the fees.

I opted for the Evolution 9 lock. It’s big and heavy, but gives me plenty of room to fit it around the mix of lockable areas in Taipei. I believe that anything smaller may not fit around the frame and whatever you find to lock your bike to.

They aren’t unstoppable, but pretty close. My hope it that the serious and unique look will serve as a decent deterrent.

-M