Bike Transfer Problem

I bought a second hand legend 3 years ago. I gave the garage my ARC and they transferred the bike into my name, no problem. However the garage has since closed down.

Now I plan to sell the bike. I found a buyer and so I took the bike to a different garage to get it checked over and make sure there weren’t any problems. The laoban said the bike was fine but when I mentioned the age he said there was no way I could transfer it into someone else’s name.

Turns out the only thing original on the bike is the engine and number plate. The bike is 14 years old and should look like the old style legends with the barrel front brake. Instead it looks like one of the newer legends. So presumably the garage I bought the bike at swapped an old engine into a new-style frame. God only knows how they transferred it into my name in the first place though.

The guy I spoke to yesterday suggest I just go to the DMV and give it a go. So I was wondering if a bike fails the inspection, will I be issued with a notice to get it changed back to the original within a certain number of days? Or will they confiscate the bike? Or give me a fine?

I know if you get caught with an illegal exhaust, they give you so many days to show that you’ve got the original exhaust put back on. Getting another bike to put the engine into would be a massive pain in the arse and is something I’d like to avoid.

Any suggestions or tales of similar experiences would be welcome!

sell the bike (cash, no papers) to a FOB, and get another bike.

I’ve got a new bike. I plan on staying in Taiwan for a few more years so I’m not keen on selling the bike without transfering it as any fines the new owner gets will come to me. Also if they have an accident, I’d be in trouble too.

I’m beginning to think that scrapping it might be the only option.

Sell for “salvage value” with full written disclosure (“this vehicle is sold for parts and cannot be registered”) acknowledged by the buyer.

Will that have legal basis in Taiwan? Got offered 3k from a garage today for parts so that might be the only option.

I just IMed you, well I’ll take that bike off your hands for $4k with no plate.

Well, I don’t believe its only god who is privy to such information, but many MVO’s and related facilities are willing to make vehicle transfers without ever inspecting them, according to the law. I have known many vehicles to never even leave a garage and yet somehow, miraculously, manage to pass an inspection and transfer of ownership. I think they use something known as money to make it happen.

Why, here’s an Impreza passing its inspection and it has absolutely no engine modifications what so ever :unamused: and even though I drove it and its steering linkage is hanging by a thread, it still managed to pass its steering linkage test (which is one of only three BTW). Miracle!

it cost me 5,500NT just to swap the engine onto an original stock nsr [to pass inspection], then put it back.

hey guys,

the inspection is good for 2 years. what happens after that? do i have to get it inspected at the dmv? is it hard for an nsr 95" to pass inspection?

pizzaon

[quote=“spunkymonkey”]I’ve got a new bike. I plan on staying in Taiwan for a few more years so I’m not keen on selling the bike without transfering it as any fines the new owner gets will come to me. Also if they have an accident, I’d be in trouble too.

I’m beginning to think that scrapping it might be the only option.[/quote]

I sent you a possibly peri-legal pm