Bikefarm no longer doing maintenance; only rentals

My friend has just been over to Bikefarm (Xinhai Rd. Alley 222… Tel. 02-8732-1992) and Jeremy told him that they’re no longer doing maintenance and only rent bikes out now. He felt that he was far too busy when doing maintenance.

That IS a shame (not that I even have a motorbike). It seems like they did some really good, reliable work there, and were especially useful to the foreign community (from what I’ve heard).

I am going to sell my bike to Jeremy and then rent it back off him so that he has to service it.

[quote=“Miranda”]I am going to sell my bike to Jeremy and then rent it back off him so that he has to service it.[/quote]A cunning plan!

For the less cunning, there’s still Mr Chen:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 049#431049](Recommended mechanics

There must be other good mechanics in Taipei as well. Don’t be stingy with information, people! Surely not everyone is doing his/her own maintenance or riding/driving clapped-out junk?

I so understand Jeremy right now…I have a very difficult problem to solve on a bike and after over 6000nt, the problem is still there. I’ve been to three different mechanics and none could figure it out either, they just make me replace parts I don’t need. :s Tonight again I spent another 2 hours taking the transmission from my BWS to install it on my wife’s just to rule out transmission problems. I’m sick of it, but soooo sick of it… :cry:

bobepine

Mr. Chen gets my vote.

I bought a scooter off him for NT$30,000 and he bought it back two years later for NT$22,000, while maintaining it cheaply for me during that time.

Nice guy. Honest, too.

Chen’s the only guy I know who has listened to me about my problems with the FZR and did his best to get me cheap used parts for it. Cheap, too. I was going to try bikefarm out for a change but the mechanic down the road does a pretty thorough tune, up.

My biggest problem with the local mechanics is that they never want me to just spend my money to get the problem fixed. C’mon guys, I have the money! Just take it from me and do what I say!

Oh well, I have to say the mechanics in Taiwan are pretty honest.

Yeah. Mr. Chen is great. I bought a Kymco Xing off him about 4 years ago. It was 2nd hand but in near mint condition. It cost me NT25000 I think. It just recently died. But I drove the crap out of it (Around the island 4 times.

Nice, honest guy. Excellent mechanic.

[quote]My biggest problem with the local mechanics is that they never want me to just spend my money to get the problem fixed. C’mon guys, I have the money! Just take it from me and do what I say![/quote]That rings a loud bell. It’s like what do you think I came here for? A patched up bike or a solid repair? Changed what needs to be changed and fix it right. Don’t put a band-aid on it or assume that I just want small improvements. I want it fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed!!! :fume:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”][quote]My biggest problem with the local mechanics is that they never want me to just spend my money to get the problem fixed. C’mon guys, I have the money! Just take it from me and do what I say![/quote]That rings a loud bell. It’s like what do you think I came here for? A patched up bike or a solid repair? Changed what needs to be changed and fix it right. Don’t put a band-aid on it or assume that I just want small improvements. I want it fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed!!! :fume:

bobepine[/quote]Well you can’t really blame mechanics. 99% of their customers want their bikes “patched-up” on the spot and no more.

My guy Eric is great. He understands what it means to get a bike running really well. If you take a scooter to him for general maintenance, you can set a budget and he’ll do as much as he can of what needs doing for that price. Or he can inspect the machine and phone you with the details of what needs to be done and how much it will cost.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“bobepine”][quote]My biggest problem with the local mechanics is that they never want me to just spend my money to get the problem fixed. C’mon guys, I have the money! Just take it from me and do what I say![/quote]That rings a loud bell. It’s like what do you think I came here for? A patched up bike or a solid repair? Changed what needs to be changed and fix it right. Don’t put a band-aid on it or assume that I just want small improvements. I want it fixed, fixed, fixed, fixed!!! :fume:

bobepine[/quote]Well you can’t really blame mechanics. 99% of their customers want their bikes “patched-up” on the spot and no more.
[/quote]I know what you’re saying but it’s difficult not to blame anyone, I hate to blame me. :wink: Seriously though, I just went through 6000nt worth of new parts and replacing more today. Hoping to have my wife’s scooter running well for X-mas. What a gift that would be…

I’ve been working with three mechanics trying to fix the scooter and none can figure it out yet. Originally, the tranny was noisy and the bike wouldn’t start well. Changed starter, battery, piston, sleeve, crank shaft and bearings, transmission parts, electrical parts, etc, etc. Now the bike starts and no more noise but it won’t go until about 20km/hr. One can litterally hold the bike back on full throttle and it will not go forward. I put the tranny from by bike on it and it didn’t help. I changed the carb too and not better. I’m afraid we screwed up when putting the ctank shaft in and now there’s air leaking from the crank case.

What a nightmare, I actually dreamed about this last night. I’ve been working on this bike for two weeks now almost everyday. :frowning:

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]I’ve been working with three mechanics trying to fix the scooter and none can figure it out yet. Originally, the tranny was noisy and the bike wouldn’t start well. Changed starter, battery, piston, sleeve, crank shaft and bearings, transmission parts, electrical parts, etc, etc. Now the bike starts and no more noise but it won’t go until about 20km/hr. One can litterally hold the bike back on full throttle and it will not go forward. I put the tranny from by bike on it and it didn’t help. I changed the carb too and not better. I’m afraid we screwed up when putting the ctank shaft in and now there’s air leaking from the crank case.[/quote]Sometimes it is really difficult to find the root of a problem. My old Honda C50 used to go alright from cold, then gradually get slower and slower. After a short period of cooling-down, it was alright again for a while. It took my dad quite a while to work out that it was a problem with the alternator.

It’s a pity you’re not in Taichung. Eric is pretty good at diagnosing problems.

Anyway, it’s Christmas Eve! Why don’t you just give the scooter maintenance a break, relax and enjoy yourself? You might even have fresh insight into the problem after forgetting about it for a couple of days.

[quote=“joesax”]

It’s a pity you’re not in Taichung. Eric is pretty good at diagnosing problems.

Anyway, it’s Christmas Eve! Why don’t you just give the scooter maintenance a break, relax and enjoy yourself?[/quote] I’m in Kaohsiung.

I have a friend coming over at 1 pm with one more part. We are changing the valve behind the carb. Not sure what it’s called, it pronounces “valvo” in Chinese.

I’m stressed out about this because it’s quite dangerous to drive like that. If my wife needs to get out of the way in a hurry, the bike just won’t go. Besides the guy who helped me replace the crank shaft works 12 hours a day, 13 days out of 14. Today is his day off and he will not have a day off again for two weeks after today. So it’s got to be today. :s

bobepine

Edit:
(Dec. 24, 10:15 pm) :yay: :yay: :yay: Found the problem! The CDI was faulty! Totally different symptoms than when the CDI went bad on my scooter yet same faulty part. Weird thing is it worked fine before we redid the engine. My guess is it just didn’t like being unplugged and plugged again. :idunno: :slight_smile:

Wish I knew about the bikefarm changes before I went there to get my scooter repaired. I liked their service, why did they have to do this to me!!!