Bikefarm: reliable scooter rental and maintenance in Taipei

UPDATE ADDED NOVEMBER 4, 2006: BIKEFARM ARE DOING MAINTENANCE AGAIN AS WELL AS RENTALS

bikefarm.net/

Bikefarm
Xinhai Rd. Alley 222, No.7
(Map on webpage)
(02) 2930 1002
(0926) 283 300

Updated directions:[quote=“sandman”]Bikefarm has moved. It is now in alley 222, off Xinhai Rd on your right just before you get to the Xinhai/Xinglong intersection. Look out for the Hi-Life convenience store on the corner of the alley. You can see the yellow Bikefarm sign from Xinhai.[/quote]

[quote=“LazyMF”]-If you find the place hard to get to from XinHai Rd., you can follow Heping East Rd. (going away from the city) across the Jilong Rd. intersection and then take a right at the first 7-11 you see. This road will lead you straight to Bikefarm, and the other side of XinHai Rd.
-Jeremy speaks excellent Chinese, so if you’ve got any Taiwanese friends with bike problems, they’ll have no trouble communicating those problems to Jeremy, nor he in explaining the solutions back.[/quote][quote=“Beachside Queenslander”]Just wanted to add myself to the list of people vouching for Jeremy as (1) a top-grade mechanic and (2) a great bloke.

For those concerned about his abilities as a mechanic, some time ago he told me that as a young man he trained as a fitter and turner, and he has his own lathe in the shop. So, he’s well accustomed to making parts that are suffering from a bit of wear and tear fit properly.[/quote][quote=“Linda H.”]Just had a visit to the Bikefarm and what a pleasant experience it was. The fellow with the most grease on his hands is Yang Zhongxiao 楊忠孝; he does all of the day to day fix its. Though he doesn’t yet speak enough English, Jeremy or one of his other associates will be on hand to make sure your needs are understood.

Important Note: Because Mr. Yang is quite thorough about his job, he may replace parts or do something to improve the condition of your bike. I was caught off guard and didn’t have enough cash. The repairs he made were exactly what my scooter needed, but I wasn’t ready to have them all done at that time. So be clear about what you want done with your two wheeler and specify that you need to be notified ‘in advance’ if there are any repairs that will cost $$.

While you wait, in a comfy little nook they’ve got a computer set up so you can cruise the Web, or you can browse the books that are up for sale, or when the chef is in you can have a bite to eat. There is also a masseuse at times, who can massage the road rage away.

But back to the mechanics… This is the only shop I’ve ever been to where the bike was actually taken on a real test drive to acertain its condition, and they didn’t hesitate to show me the parts that were replaced and explain why. These actions, in my book, will warrant my continued patronage. Oh, and the fact that they were real good about my not having enough cash on hand :oops:

Currently there are several scooters available for rent. I asked if they sell any, but for the moment, no.

If you are wondering about prices, I’d say they are equivalent or even better than other bike shops. The best part is now I finally understand EXACTLY what’s been done, rather than only getting the gist of it with my rudimentary motorcyle vocab.

Hear ye, hear ye. Don’t delay, check out the Bikefarm today!![/quote]

There’s Jeremy at Bikefarm, who is a dashing, handsome and beautiful man – at least according to the copy of Taipei Pictorial I picked up today. :happybiker:

I split these posts off from the “recommended mechanics” thread as the information I have from various sources is that Jeremy is now only doing rentals.

I like that phrase: “various sources”. It makes me feel like a man about town with his finger on the pulse of something or other.

Joesax wrote [quote]I like that phrase: “various sources”. It makes me feel like a man about town with his finger on the pulse of something or other.[/quote]
Not really. Makes you sound like some drunken expat journo who has been talking to some fellow expat lounge lizards. :laughing:
Anyway, renting out scooters must be a good business if he has to turn away repairing work.

Not really. Makes you sound like some drunken expat journo who has been talking to some fellow expat lounge lizards. :laughing: [/quote]Spoil a man’s fun, why don’t you.

[quote=“almas john”]Anyway, renting out scooters must be a good business if he has to turn away repairing work.[/quote]Apparently he was incredibly busy as a mechanic, and as I think he kindly took on quite a few interesting but not particularly financially rewarding repair/restoration jobs, I can see why it eventually made sense to concentrate on the rentals.

Or so my sources say. :wink:

Really? I mean, really.

Brilliant mechanic our Jeremy, but almost too fussy for this side of the world.

HG

Really? I mean, really.

Brilliant mechanic our Jeremy, but almost too fussy for this side of the world.

HG[/quote]
Really. I mean really. Gave me and the wife quite a laugh on the MRT yesterday, specially since one of the photos had him looking like… well… Quasimodo. :laughing:
And when it comes to the bloke fixing me wheels “almost too fussy” is what I like.
But I forgot – Joesax is right in that he’s basically concentrating on rentals these days.

Jeremy has been in touch with me to let me know that he’s doing maintenance again in addition to the rentals. But he makes the very good point that people should be reasonable. He can do oil changes and simple stuff on the spot, but for jobs that take a little while, it will be best for all concerned if people can phone him and book a time.