Bikes on the MRT

I’m getting a sense that you aren’t upset with me, but see people not obeying the rules way too often. There seems to be a total lack of rules for bikes on the MRT aside from having to pay the fee, use the elevator and the 2x bike per area.

So, lots of your peeves are just how you think things should be done, there’s no right or wrong. Nonetheless, I did say I break the 2x rule before, but I assure you, it’s with good reason. I think I’ve made it quite clear that we would give way to handicapped people if we see them boarding. However, for other passenger’s sake, we tend to stay to the handicap area because our bikes are dirty and we smell like crap.

There’s almost no scenario or angle in which you can not take up a lot of room in the standing area if you’re parked there with your bike. Forget about road bikes. Even folding bikes take up room. Also, doors open on both sides.

I’m not concerned about me hitting other people, I’m more concerned about people getting in contact with my bike. If it’s not leaned against the wall, my bike is hardly moving when the train is in motion, however, there’s passengers coming in and out of the train every 1-2 minutes. One day, when and if I’m standing in the middle of the standing area, a cell phone zombie is going to bump into me or the bike and last time I checked oil on my chain doesn’t come off easily.

Slightly off topic, but I take my daughter to the park most days in her pushchair.

There’s a dropped kerb with a disabled symbol. I’d say 75% of the time, there’s a car parked directly across the access, thereby rendering the same totally useless. This is literally directly opposite the cop shop.

TiT. Nobody gives a flying f…

(Hmmm. Seem to remember I used the same expression in the last topic on which I commented.)

1 Like

Yes, there is. Here you go:

Notice to Passengers Travelling with Bicycles
Amendments Published on Oct. 2, 2017
1.To promote leisure activities in line with Taipei City Government’s policy,
Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation (TRTC) allows passengers to travel by metro with their bicycles during certain time periods. Cyclists shall abide by the Mass Rapid Transit Act and related regulations bulletined at metro stations.
2. Access periods: Bicycles access is available at certain Metro stations on Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, deferred holidays, and flexibly adjusted holidays, from 06:00 to the end of service. Bicycles are not permitted on the Taipei Metro on workdays. Any changes to the above policies will be publicly bulletined.
3.Bicycle access is available on all lines apart from the Wenhu line. 4.Stations with bicycle access and transfer possibilities:
(1) Bicycle access is available at all stations except the following: a. Tamsui Station
b. Taipei Main Station
c. Zhongxiao Xinsheng Station
d. Zhongshan Station
e. Daan Station
f. Zhongxiao Fuxing Station
g. Nanjing Fuxing Station
h. All stations on the Wenhu Line
(2) Transfer stations: Cyclists may only transfer at stations open to bicycles.
(3) Cyclists who do not comply with regulations in regard to entering/exiting/transferring at stations in which bicycles are not permitted will be fined pursuant to Paragraph 1-4 in Article 50 of the Mass Rapid Transit Act.
5.Entering and exiting stations: Cyclists are prohibited from using the escalators and instead shall use staircases, elevators (a maximum of
two bicycles) and wheelchair ramps.
6.Fare: A ticket is valid for one person with a single bicycle and is good for
one trip of unlimited distance. A full fare will be charged for each cyclist. A single-journey ticket for cyclists costs NT$80. Cyclists shall buy the ticket at the Information Counter, which will be retrieved by station staff at the destination station. The ticket holder should enter and exit the station together with the bicycle.
7.Service gate: Please contact station staff to enter and exit stations through the"Group Ticket/One-day Pass Entrance/Exit."
8.Bicycles aboard:
(1) Bicycles are allowed to board only at either end of the train. Inside
each door is a vertical handrail for a maximum of two bicycles (a maximum of sixteen bicycles per train). Cyclists shall not occupy the space for wheelchairs and shall follow signs to wait for the train. If the train is too crowded, please wait for the next one.
(2) Bicycles should be parked between the vertical handrail and cyclists themselves, and perpendicular to the train’s operation direction.
(3) Cyclists shall stay by bicycles and hold them firmly at all times.
(4) Cyclists shall allow other passengers to board and exit the train first
and avoid dirtying the clothing of other passengers through contact
with the bicycle.
(5) In case of emergency, please follow instructions to move bicycles to
the side of unopened doors to ensure a safe exit for all.
9.Points for attention:
(1) Only traditional bicycles and power-assisted bicycles (power must be off) are admitted on the Taipei Metro. Sizes may not exceed 180cm in length, 120cm in height, and 70cm in width. Motorized bicycles (equipped with a gas tanks or batteries), tandems and non-standard bicycles are not admitted on the Metro.
(2) Passengers under the age of 14 must be accompanied by adults when bringing bicycles into the metro.
(3) Passengers with bicycles shall allow the elderly and those with disabilities to take elevators and board the train first.
(4) Cyclists shall keep their bicycles clean. TRTC may refuse to transport cyclists should their bicycles may dirty the station facilities or the clothing of other passengers.
(5) Cyclists shall bear legal responsibility for any damage to TRTC or third party property.
(6) TRTC may refuse to transport cyclists who cause inconvenience for other passengers or affect train operations.
(7) In case of emergency, cyclists may not be allowed to enter the metro system temporarily.
10.Passengers with bicycles shall abide by the Mass Rapid Transit Act, related regulations and notices promulgated by TRTC. If cyclists violate any of the aforementioned rules and cause injury or harm to themselves, TRTC shall not take responsibility.
11.TRTC may adjust bicycle access periods and stations and other related regulations.

1 Like

I guess bags are no longer required?

My summary of the official notice:

Bicycles can be taken on MRT all day on weekends and holidays for NT$80 ticket purchased at information counter on all lines except Brown line. Bicycles must use designated locations at each end of train and stand beside vertical handrail. Bike can not be larger than 180cm x 70cm x 120cm. No bike access on the following stations: Tamsui Station, Taipei Main Station, Zhongxiao Xinsheng Station, Zhongshan Station, Daan Station, Zhongxiao Fuxing Station, Nanjing Fuxing Station.

Thanks for finding that. I remember there was a unabridged version. This pretty much renders all my actions…against the rules.

So much for thinking I’m a model citizen.

At least you followed rule 8 (4). :slight_smile:

Clearly the most important.

You can bag your bike, enter and pay regular fares on the weekends/holidays.

Whereas Monday-Friday/non holidays, you are required to bag your bike, no matter what size it is.

Another update to when bikes are allowed on the MRT:

Before it was weekends + holidays. Now they are allowed Monday-Friday 10AM-4PM

Way to go Taipei!

29871818_2069063683346673_5347849837188188938_o

3 Likes

You can now take your bike on to the commuter trains of the airport MRT. You can’t get off at the airport stations though, which is understandable.

https://www.tymetro.com.tw/tymetro-new/en/_pages/travel-guide/notice.html

3 Likes