Bikes or scooters on trains?

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can load a bicycle or a scooter on a train in Taiwan (not MRT)? For example, the train between Taipei and Hualien?

If so, know anything about the process or price?

Thanks,

Seeker4

You can, but it might have to wait for a couple of days. It basically goes as freight - you don’t accompany it. They’ll unload it at the destination and you pick it up later. I have no idea about the coast or how it is done.

You can not carry a bicycle onto the train with you (even the slow train - I wish you could).

On the other hand, if the reason you ask is because you want to take a scooter with you to Hualian, then I suggest you try Airbus. Their office is on the North side of Zhongxiao E Rd, right next to Sunyatsen MRT or City Hall MRT (I forget which). The let a small number of scooters on each bus to Yilan or Hualian.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]

You can not carry a bicycle onto the train with you (even the slow train - I wish you could).

Brian[/quote]

Really? AWOL mentioned to me once that he and his cycling buddies often take their bikes on the slow trains. They just go to the very back of the train. I wonder if they are just being lucky.

Indeed. Have taken bikes Taipei to Taoyuan, Hualien, Daxi, ChiuFen etc etc… last carriage that has no seats on the slow train… doors open, wind blowing… great stuff. Its also where fellow travellers hang out so you get to meet relatively interesting people.

Have never been told it wasnt ok… the MRT is different kettle of fish however.

[quote=“AWOL”]Indeed. Have taken bikes Taipei to Taoyuan, Hualian, Daxi, ChiuFen etc etc… last carriage that has no seats on the slow train… doors open, wind blowing… great stuff. Its also where fellow travellers hang out so you get to meet relatively interesting people.

Have never been told it wasn’t ok… the MRT is different kettle of fish however.[/quote]

When you started at Taipei, was it the main station? Did you just carry your bikes through the terminal and over the turnstiles?

Once from the main station and several times from Sung Shan

Re. the taking scooters thing; there are companies which sort it all out for you. I haven’t done this yet but hope to do it at Chinese New Year. Hope my big old clunky FZ survives the trip. Does anyone know how much care these companies take and whether they tape up easily damaged bits and take other precautions?

[quote]Indeed. Have taken bikes Taipei to Taoyuan, Hualian, Daxi, ChiuFen etc etc… last carriage that has no seats on the slow train… doors open, wind blowing… great stuff. Its also where fellow travellers hang out so you get to meet relatively interesting people.

Have never been told it wasn’t ok… the MRT is different kettle of fish however.[/quote]

Now that’s interesting. You didn’t have bags or anything? I’ve enquired twice and been told that you’re not allowed. Hmmm.

As for the MRT, the bciycle trial is now permanent. You cna take your bike on and off designated stops before 4PM on weekends and holidays.

Brian

The slow train…Would that be the ping kuai or the dian che? Both are slow as molasses, but the ping kuai (nothing “kuai” about it) is old and rickety.

Brian

Nope - no bags. Ocky straps sometimes, but usually just wheeled on.