Biking and muscle development

I started biking when I came to Taiwan four months ago, and since then I’ve noticed that my thigh muscles are getting bigger. Now, many of my pants don’t fit, and it’s nearly impossible for me to find any shorts that fit in the night markets.

Also, I recently joined a beginner’s mountain-biking club. I expressed my concern to some of the people there that my legs would keep getting bigger if I started biking even more, but they said that I must be using the wrong technique because all the bikers in the Tour de France have slim legs. I don’t really believe that’s true, but maybe I’m wrong. Is there some sort of proper technique to biking that will slim my thigh muscles instead of building them up?

Road riders have slim legs compared to track cyclists such as these guys:

But I don’t believe either that professional road cyclists have slim legs. If you ride alot you’ll burn fat like no other exercise can – your stomach will be totally flat – but you’ll also have strong, muscular legs. No fat on them, but strong muscles. Don’t worry about it though, as I’m sure you can only look (and feel) better and better the more you ride. :slight_smile:

Do you think they are unattractive? Why do you want them to slim down? I wouldn’t worry about them. I have a fairly decent pair of thighs due to swimming, never had a problem getting clothes to fit. If you’ve got 'em flaunt 'em is what I’d say!

The thigh muscles (despite what some men believe) are the largest muscle on the body. They need to be big to do the work you require them to, especially if your thinking of off-road cycling.

L.

I would hazard a guess that your technique is maybe causing you to bulk up. Some people (like me) ride using a “spinning” technique, where you keep the bike in low gears and spin the pedals about 50-80 rpm (revolutions per minute. This is good for cardio and losing fat. Also low impact for the knees and such.

Some people like to really push hard on the pedals in higher gears and go for speed and power. Like the track racer guys. This could be comperable to say, doing squats with weights or not. Higher impact, more burn. also good. Get tired faster.

Also seat position and geometry can be factors.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Everybody’s different. Enjoy your bike legs!

I hope this wasn’t too redundant.

I’m assuming you’re female and also would guess you’re well and truly exposed to the culture here with its interest in girls without muscle and pot bellied men as the ideal body shapes (taking this to extremes of course but not far off the mark)

One of the things that attracted me to my Taiwanese lady were her tennis trained lovely legs. She was suprisingly embarrassed by them and said she wished she had her little sisters thin pole like legs.

Your legs will have adapted to the exercise now. I was a gym instructor in a past life as well as having a tertiary education grounding in anatomy and physiology so have some idea of development time and potential from an exercise program.

Typically the first 3 months will see the biggest changes then it is a gradual thing to get further benefit (notice I’m calling it benefit)

Also, as canuckytuktuk says kick the rpm up. A cateye or similar bike computer with crank and wheel sensor will help with RPM, elapsed time and speed.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I would hazard a guess that your technique is maybe causing you to bulk up. Some people (like me) ride using a “spinning” technique, where you keep the bike in low gears and spin the pedals about 50-80 rpm (revolutions per minute. This is good for cardio and losing fat. Also low impact for the knees and such.

Some people like to really push hard on the pedals in higher gears and go for speed and power. Like the track racer guys. This could be comperable to say, doing squats with weights or not. Higher impact, more burn. also good. Get tired faster.

I hope this wasn’t too redundant.[/quote]

Not redundant at all. In fact, as I have no idea what you’re talking about, it doesn’t answer the question.

For clarity’s sake, which technique causes you to build muscle?

pumping very hard on the pedals in high gears like a track racer causes you to build more muscle. Imagine doing many squats with weights.

As I said, everyone is different.

Yes a higher spin rate requires less effort and therefore will build less muscle. You can also try riding on the flat as opposed to in hilly terrain, and watch your diet. Eating a lot of protein will feed your muscles, reducing calories will help you burn off any excess fat.

If you are doing short hilly rides, in a high gear, with a high protein diet you may aswell be going to the gym and doing squats with our Canadian friend but otherwise you should see an overall reduction in your body mass, albeit slightly in favour of your stronger thighs.

Hope you are enjoying the biking, and don’t be put off by this, think of the other benefits, such as lower heart rate, bigger more efficient lungs, etc etc.

Good point. And while some guys might be put off by your bigger legs, they’ll surely be attracted to your bigger lungs. :wink:

[quote=“Ironman”] I’m assuming you’re female and also would guess you’re well and truly exposed to the culture here with its interest in girls without muscle and pot bellied men as the ideal body shapes (taking this to extremes of course but not far off the mark)

One of the things that attracted me to my Taiwanese lady were her tennis trained lovely legs. She was suprisingly embarrassed by them and said she wished she had her little sisters thin pole like legs. [/quote]

Yeah, this is mainly what I was concerned about. I used to have big legs in high school from basketball and dance; people used to think I was a little overweight then. I’d slimmed down a bit in my twenties as a result of office jobs that chained me to a computer desk 13 hours a day. So now, I’m just a little frustrated that the bulk is coming back and my clothes are too tight.

And, of course, this being Taiwan, I’m comparatively overweight and too big for many of the fashions here. Where I was a small or medium in the US, I’m an extra-large here…and the selection of XL is either quite small or non-existent in many of the cheaper stores I’ve been to thus far. Plus, the way the skirts and shorts for girls are cut, even if they fit my waist, they either snag on my thighs or end up being so short that my rear-end is exposed when I sit down.

Anyway, you guys have all been really sweet. It’s good to know there are some guys that find muscular legs in girls attractive. :rainbow: There’s hope for me yet!

I do enjoy the exercise, so I definitely plan to continue. :smiley: I guess I’ll just have to find some different places to shop, or become a little less conservative in my dress! :wink:

Thanks, everyone, for your advice!

I think its a common story. I had a girlfriend in college who had extremely muscular legs. I thought they were very sexy and lots of other guys did too. But she was seriously unhappy with them, feeling they were too big. I’m sure women would feel even more that way here in Taiwan, surrounded by skinny, anemic, twiggy women who are supposed to represent the ideal feminine physique. :raspberry:

Great!! Glad to hear it. :bravo:

I hope you went riding this morning. I had a long jaunt beside the river, exploring new ground this morning and it was really beautiful – sunny, blue, clear sky.

As for the comment someone made earlier – that its better to spin in a lower gear rather than cranking away slowly in a high gear – I don’t know if that relates to muscle building, seems like it might, but it’s certainly good advice for good, healthy riding and avoiding injuries.

Happy trails. :slight_smile:

You hear that fellas? She thinks I’m sweet! And she likes biking! Mmmmm…Biker legs… :smiley:

I didn’t bike today, but I did enjoy a nice walk along the river today. It was really nice, listening to music, making silly faces at little children, and eating ice-cream. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
As for the comment someone made earlier – that its better to spin in a lower gear rather than cranking away slowly in a high gear – I don’t know if that relates to muscle building, seems like it might, but it’s certainly good advice for good, healthy riding and avoiding injuries.

Happy trails. :slight_smile: [/quote]

I’d meant to comment on this…

One of the guys in the mountain-biking club lent me his bike for my first ride. That was one of the most imporant learning experiences I’ve had since I’ve arrived: he also told me to lower my gears. My goodness! I wish I’d known earlier how gears are supposed to work! Riding is much less painful in a lower gear. And, I think having my seat higher and the handlebars at a different angle took a lot of stress from my back and shoulders, making for a much more pleasant ride. I plan to buy a new bike for myself next week. :smiley:

Thanks again, guys, for all your advice! :rainbow: