Biking and Running in Kaoshuing

hi! i will be moving soon from Toronto. I am an avid biker and runner. heat doesn’t bother me in any way; but i was wondering how feasible serious biking is in taiwan. i can bike for hours, but what is traffic like? are there any bike routes that are longer than 20, 30 kim? does anyone else there ride long?
also i like to run alot, but i know the population there is pretty dense. do people do serious running in the city?

[quote=“MittensAlive”]hi! i will be moving soon from Toronto. I am an avid biker and runner. heat doesn’t bother me in any way; but i was wondering how feasible serious biking is in taiwan. i can bike for hours, but what is traffic like? are there any bike routes that are longer than 20, 30 kim? does anyone else there ride long?
also i like to run alot, but i know the population there is pretty dense. do people do serious running in the city?[/quote]
Hi. I don’t live in Kaohsiung, but I am friends with lots of avid runners and cyclists down there. Like any city in Taiwan, Kaohsiung isn’t too suited to these activities right within the city - especially if you like to run or bike long - but once you get out of the city there are lots of great places to train.

I don’t have the numbers or addresses on hand, but I’d recommend looking for the bike shop run by Tian Weizhang (Chris Tian). He coaches several of Taiwan’s best young triathletes and could hook you up with some other runners and cyclists.

You’re lucky to be heading down to Kaohsiung. The multisport community is booming and the year-round climate is the best in Taiwan. Quite often I have to face another cold an rainy ride in the Taipei area and I look at the weather for Kaohsiung and see that my rivals down there have another sunny day to enjoy.