Bilingual Education: Is It Really Working?

@TT @eCanada or anyone else. Do you guys have any book recommendations for learning more about CLIL or how to effectively use it in the classroom?

1 Like

I sort of misunderstood the differences between CLIL and the bilingual program.

Here is the first thing I came across, it is new and I only skimmed it
https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1239106

There seems to be a lot of Taiwan-specific literature if youā€™re interested
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=CLIL+ā€¦

1 Like

What a relief!

1 Like

Itā€™s really not as hard as some people make it out to be. The main thing is that you teach English through a subject. Instead of phonics and random vocabulary, you follow a subject and adjust the level. I started by teaching science. I donā€™t have a science degree, but I just followed the textbook. I focused on concepts and terms they already knew in Chinese and taught that. They read, write, and speak in English about science. You can do this with any subject. The ESL teacher doesnā€™t need to be a master in that area, they should just focus their English teaching to topics in those areas.

Personality, I think non CLIL teaching is not very productive. Some teachers insist on getting students to a certain level before attempting a subject. Iā€™m off the thought that beginners can jump right in if the teacher can adjust the levels.

This article has a few links

2 Likes

Perhaps the bilingual program was harder for me because of the way my previous school implemented it when I was there last year. It was hard enough for me and they had me teaching a subject that I do not specialize in. Plus the textbooks are all in Mandarin and I cannot read Mandarin, and the kids, most of them are not even bilingual. Thatā€™s why the public school bilingual program doesnā€™t make sense to me.

Thereā€™s no need to use a Chinese textbook. The internet is full of free materials

Of course theyā€™re not. Thatā€™s why you modify the material. Iā€™m also from Canada and thatā€™s what we do. Kids who are DD or EFL are given modified instruction and assessments. You do the same thing here with the whole class.

Their bilingual program is the same with EFL program. I donā€™t think they distinguish those.

Learning a subject using a language not your own has significant drawbacks, in that, the retention and depth of knowledge the student gains is significantly hindered. I have personally done a masterā€™s in a language not my own. Iā€™d say I was reasonably fluent in the second language when I did it. There is a marked difference between what I gained from the course compared to my classmates. I do not feel an authority at all in the subject. So much so, I did another masterā€™s using English just to make up for it. My wife, emigrated to the West as a child at the beginning of middle school, aside from math, her grades plummeted and this adversely affected her high school and subsequent confidence and university options. Sure you can teach and scaffold any course, but as soon as you compare the scaffolded learners vs. a native speaking lot, the gloves come off. You either have the skills and knowledge or not. Universities in the West have long been milking foreign students for tuition and a guarantee of higher status, but language continues to be a barrier. You end up with great sounding accomplishments with nothing to back it up. This also adversely affects Taiwan, as it just perpetuates mediocre academics who produce little. All more if the ā€œcha bu duoā€ culture here. I know many university teachers, who despite living in the US completing their PhD, still have constant misunderstandings in communication with me because they insist on using English, yet do not understand everything I say. I suppose the only way bilingual can work well without stuffing the students is to start at kindergarten or before and donā€™t stop. Make sure there are loads of native speakers to teach those subjects. Otherwise, I fear Taiwan is just mucking with its childrenā€™s education.

2 Likes

That is the plan.

Yea, but where do these native speakers come from. Even before the pandemic it was hard to attract enough foreigners here. Also keeping them here longer than 12 months seems to be a Challenge.

This year alone, New Taipei City hired 100 new foreign teachers and PingTung just hired 25.

Iā€™m hopeful.

Sans financial incentives for native speaking certified teachers to do so? Maybe Iā€™m wrong and they have funded this, but without a somewhat comparable salary, pickings are slim.

I left the private schools to join the system. With bonuses and and experience, the wage is comparable. Iā€™m also considering doing an MA part time to get even higher. If I do that, itā€™ll be better than most private schools

The MOEā€™s going to change the English in kindergarten rules?

1 Like

Itā€™s already been changed. It is not illegal to teach English at any level in Taiwan. Exception, you must use songs, etc at younger ages. It is against the rules to just do alphabet worksheets in kindergarten, for example. It must be play based.

I was surprised too. It was confirmed to me by the MoE last week at a meeting.

One of the problems with CLIL is its proponents oversell it. I have to do teacher training (the only teaching I dislike doing) and the headteacher will invariably introduce me to the teachers as ā€œThe man who will teach you how to teach in Englishā€. Iā€™ll then get the teachers asking me how they can ā€˜useā€™ CLIL to teach their content, like itā€™s some magic system.

1 Like

Really? I thought that would have made it into the media.

Thatā€™s a massive change of policy.

1 Like

I agree, the Tsai administration changed it recently. I confirmed with several teachers at my public school.

And it includes foreign English teachers?