Bilingual Nation 2030-What are your views and suggestions?

I know. But it is not very friendly for non-english-speaking foreigners.

HK has become a lot worse over the years for English ability. Have a friend from there that speaks not a word of English. She said that quite a few locals also don’t speak English either. Mind you, she is near the border of Shenzhen. All our chats are in Mandarin

I went for a visit and outside of central, English was pretty spotty. Places like banks and financial institutions weren’t any issue

I think there is a long way to go for Taiwan to become bilingual country. First of all, Taiwanese English teachers have to start teaching English in English not Chinese or at least teach 50/50. Every time when I pass classes in my school I can hear Chinese language instead of English. Kids can hardly construct a sentence as they do not have any input during their English classes. Level of English of Taiwanese teachers is very low. One of teacher in my school has problems with distinguishing he/she, the other teacher teaches kids that word strengths is pronounced like stress.
A lot of things have to be changed/translated into English. Times tables at bus stops, railway web sites, shopping websites are in Chinese only…
It is very ambitious programme fir Taiwan to become bilingual, great that they are determined to do it however I doubt it can happen by 2030, too many things to do and not enough time.

For reals. I grew up in San Francisco where HK immigrants dominate. Most of the new immigrants don’t speak English.

I liked when the government was offering free Chinese lessons to foreign spouses, because all my classmates were young SE Asian women married to old Taiwanese men (my wife was less pleased…)

2 Likes

Thank you! That looks feasible.

But doesn’t the company have to generate a revenue of over 3M a year in order to renew the ARC?

Only on the third year. The hustling time. But it is far more attainable when working together. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Are you talking about translation companies or normal companies? if they are regular companies, they can give you a position like a technical writer or something like that, not “translator”.

The problem is Taiwan isn’t interested in attracting Filippinos except as au pair and highly exploited foreign labor.

And I think the real honest truth is Taiwan isn’t interested in becoming bilingual. China is actually Taiwan’s biggest trading partner by far, like over 50% of the exports/imports are to/from China. So they probably have far more incentive to attract Chinese professionals than Western ones (despite all the anti China rhetoric Taiwanese politicians put out). For example, there’s lots of backlash against opening American food import, but no one gives a peep about Chinese food import (a lot of them are from China, and it’s all done quietly).

So I think all this “bilingual nation” stuff is just a show. After all if you deal primarily with China, you don’t even need to learn another language.

2 Likes