Binge drinking

Actually, this is more about terminology.

Apparently the UK ‘tops binge drinking league’ in Europe, which is believable. But what exactly is binge drinking?

Two and a bit pints of Stella? Binge drinking? WTF? What do they call it when I get trapped in Carnage and do the best part of a bottle of Bacardi over the course of an afternoon and evening? It sounds to me like the do-gooders are using emotive language to promote their agenda, instead of being objective about things.

Waking up after a lost weekend, it’s pretty clear that you have a problem and you might feel motivated to do something about it. But if people give you shit every time you pop out for a couple of jars I would imagine you’re going to stop listening pretty quickly.

This from the BMA:

2 pints doesn’t even qualify for a trip to the WC.
Rubbish crap from metro’s and other nancy boys with their pinkies in the air.

Binge drinking for me means that I sociably drink 5 pints, in say 4 hours, and then get a REAL thirst, and drink another 4 pints in about an hour. Thats a binge.

Going out on the lash isn’t binge drinking, thats just ‘being on a beano.’

Minge binge.

Oh c’mon! Binge drinking entails an unspecified but large amount of alcohol in a short time, followed by a large amount of alcohol, blacking out, going to a bar, waking up in the bar, not knowing where you are, getting in a fight, falling down, blacking out, waking up in another district without your clothes, getting arrested, getting sent home in a cab by the police in one of thier spare uniforms because they have no idea what to do with you, stopping at the 7-11 on the way back for more booze, passing out in the bathtub, getting up, drinking some more, lighting the kitchen on fire and burning your hand, throwing a chair at your roomate, and finally passing out in a cab headed for taoyoen.

A good binge should scare at least 2 or more people and have police involved at least once.

A good binge should include some sort of personal injury like bruises or skinned knuckles.

A good binge should probably include loss of memory and greivous insult to one or more of your binge-mates.

If you can manage to wake up in the midst of your binge lying in someones garden with your pants missing and a bruised rib, you’re probably doing a good job.

cost (including robbery) 15,000$ or more for one night.

I sure don’t miss the good ol’ days!

I never agreed with what the authorities called “binge drinking”. To me, binging is an act, not an amount. 2 1/2 pints indeed. That’s just enough to whet the whistle on a binger!

I’ve now got my “alcomunity” (an adjective to describe alcohol tolerance) where over the course of 12 hours or so I can drink a carton (24 cans) without throwing up or having a serious hangover

My understanding is that Binge drinking refers to an exceptional level of alcohol taken onboard in one sitting over and above what the individual would consider normal.

Thus if you follow UK guidelines of 20 units a week for a man (10 pints) spread evenly across the week you come out at 2.2pints per day. This is of course nads, as noone drinks on a Monday. So lets revise the reccomendation to 3.1 pints a day except Mondays.

As we all know you can build up a resistance to alcohol through careful use, I have found 7 years or so of heavy drinking means that I almost never get a hangover and can happily drink triple the (new) reccomendation without forgetting my name.

Assuming then that a binge is 50% or more of normal capacity I guess I must start at around 14 pints.

Of course that would be foolish and unhealthy, albeit fun so I will try to refrain from binging more than say twice a week.

Sensible?

onlineconversion.com/volume.htm Very useful site when dealing with people from different places.

Had to look this one up. 2.2 pint [UK] = 1 250.174 75 milliliter = less than 4 standard cans of beer[quote=“Loretta”]WTF?[/quote] I agree. Whoever conducted this survey must have been wasted. The average Brit I know drinks just a tad more than that on a night out.

[quote=“Loretta”]Actually, this is more about terminology.

Apparently the UK ‘tops binge drinking league’ in Europe, which is believable. But what exactly is binge drinking?

Two and a bit pints of Stella? Binge drinking? WTF?[/quote]I assume this is an average, including people who drink nothing ? This number tells you nothing about binge drinking. Might have been better to give a percentage for the people who drink more than 5, say.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]My understanding is that Binge drinking refers to an exceptional level of alcohol taken onboard in one sitting over and above what the individual would consider normal.
[/quote]
but also isn’t there the implication that said individual does this on a periodic basis? Personally, I feel this term is some relic from the temperance movement.
Once someone starts binge drinking, it’s a slippery slope of a slide to Insane Alcoholic Depravity.
It’s the Thin Edge Of The Wedge, I say, Wot?

TheBingerMan :homer: