Bird of the Day

I saw a bird a few days ago that flew right in front of me and then landed on a tree a few meters away, with no way for me to get closer for a second look. It was all very quick so I wasn’t able to take a picture of it.

I think it’s mostly green with a very long, green, ribbon like tail. I tried to search online to identify it, but I wasn’t able to find it.

Does anyone know the existence of such a bird in Taiwan, so I don’t feel like I was hallucinating?

One of these maybe?

1 Like

It looked smaller than a magpie, much smaller.

I have to admit, what I thought as a tail could be some green string-like material that the bird found for nesting…

Escaped budgie?

3 Likes

Co-op sandwiches? Poor thing must be desperate.

1 Like

Real small? Maybe a vagrant bee-eater? I’ve seen some mentions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=蜂虎&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiu-qvmr8PwAhWuSfUHHXf6CtEQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=蜂虎&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADIECAAQGFDhzShY4c0oYI_PKGgAcAB4AIABQ4gBQ5IBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=kWKbYO7tJ66T1e8P9_SriA0&bih=638&biw=1366

One right near my house today thoughtfully just lightly attacked my and another man’s shoulder. I appreciated that. Funny, we were giving each other a good look-over after his run at me (he was only about 5 feet away) when he just upped and off on his next attack run. Busy, busy.

2 Likes

Getting attacked by a blue magpie is definitely on my bucket list!

A common magpie got me the worst once!

Also beautiful birds…I’m jealous.

1 Like

3 Likes

It’s going to hatch one of these. :grin:

1 Like

I hope so, quite helpful with recent shortage of electronic components

2 Likes

The woman’s daughter has a bunch of great Twitter threads about this:

Personal favorite:

3 Likes
3 Likes