Birds of Taiwan

I emailed a local birding society and they said with certainty, Savanna Nightjar. So kudos to you and @Brianjones

2 Likes

From wikipedia:

“They are sometimes called goatsuckers , due to the ancient folk tale that they sucked the milk from goats (the Latin for goatsucker is Caprimulgus ), or bugeaters ,[1] due to their insectivore diet. Some New Worldspecies are called nighthawks.”

…alright, I’m calling them goatsuckers from now on.

1 Like

goatSuckers. make sure you use an S, not an F.

You know, just because.

That would have to be like an ostrich I guess.

Hard to stop invasive birds.

https://youtu.be/dXdrSlFDvG4

Surprised they didn’t mention the mynas.

The ibis present a threat to geese and ducks because they can spread diseases to them. Classic logic

Pigeons are established all over the world. Good luck with that one.

Yep. Apparently “hang around humans and eat garbage” is an excellent survival strategy.

Yep. Also they naturally are adapted to live on rocky cliffs, so urban environments are perfect for them.

Our local Savanna Nightjar is back, spring is coming!

5 Likes

Ah. Seasonal birds.

We have all these northern Japanese raptors overwinter here. Ospreys, Chinese sparrowhawks, grey-face buzzards, and even a hobby from time to time. They often come back to the same nests and roosts every year. I have seen small flocks of 8-10 of the sparrowhawks flying over the ocean (while I’m out sailing), island hopping here in early November. Then suddenly, come March , they’re all gone again.

very few raptors over the summer, except a few lesser Japanese sparrowhawks

Grey-faced buzzard ( Butastur indicus ) (in Japanese: ノスリ nosuri , in Okinawan: さしば sashiba )

5 Likes

works for dogs

In Taigi it’s known as lâm-lōo-ing (南路鷹) in Kending, tshing-bîng-tsiáu (清明鳥) , suann-āu-tsiáu (山後鳥) elsewhere.

They are called Savanah Night Jars.

1 Like

Yes, thanks! Was able to find out at some point, you may see a post above I think. Has come back each spring since.

Fascinating analysis of our local aural terrorist and his ilk

1 Like

Birdies going off early here. Ah, lovely Spring.

Been seeing a lot of these little guys lately.

Vinous-throated parrotbill (粉紅鸚嘴)

2 Likes

Where?

My local riverbank, flitting around the grasses in groups.

Ah, the Shilin hood, aka the Chillin Hood :yum:

1 Like