Birth control; no placebo; no period!

Hi all!
I would like to know if there are any women here who have been able to find the birth control pill that is meant to be taken 365 days a year, with no placebo pills and no periods. Does that exist in Taiwan?
Popular brands include Lybrel, Amethyst, Lutera, Orsythia, Sronyx, Altavera, Camrese, Amethia…

I just want to know if this exists in Taiwan.
Thanks!

Brands for the birth control pill are pretty limited here. To my knowledge there’s only a few types available. You could always do what a couple of my friends did to avoid getting their periods entirely, which was to just skip the placebo week of pills and go straight to the next pill packet. :idunno:

I recommend going to a big hospital with a good reputation, like Adventist or NTU, to ask about your options.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Suppressing periods

Lybrel is discontinued.

Generically it is 90 mcg levonorgestrel and 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol.

What about IUD? It is low- level hormone that isn’t systemic. My daughter hasn’t had a period in two years.

I don’t think this is the case for everyone with an IUD, though. Some people still have periods, just lighter ones. Some people, like your daughter, stop having them altogether.

And then there’s the whole issue of adjusting to the IUD. Some people bleed continuously for months. Others get repeated infections. And still others have no problem at all.

I think I’ve heard about as many horror stories as I have success stories when it comes to IUDs.

1 Like

IUD ‘s give me an electric shock :scream:

Indeed. One should try and test which one is more suitable to one´s body. Everyone reacts differently… and one has to learn to use it well.

My mom had trouble with the IUD because it is not meant to be used indefinitely.

My mum was using the coil when I was conceived. I’m a one in a hundred chance - very special, indeed. My brother thinks it explains a lot.

Also, there was discussion as to whether I should be terminated or not but luckily common sense prevailed!

This is how close you chaps and chappesses came to missing out on my wit and repartee (and, let’s not forget, wisdom) on this esteemed virtual organ.

3 Likes

Preventing pregnancy may have nothing to do with OP’s decision to take birth control, though. It’s a bit of a misnomer in that way, since such a large percentage of women take it solely to regulate their cycle, to make their periods more manageable, etc.

In a sense it’d be a lot better termed “period control.”

4 Likes

I was watching a documentary about the coil and how it messed up a lot of womens health with a whole list of complications. Hope she’s ok.

She’s almost 80. I wouldn’t describe her as OK, but she’s still with it mentally. Physically not so good due to heart and foot problems.

Yeah, period’s a bitch. In case men are also allowed to comment on what they found :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: here are some things I researched for this exact question. As far as I can tell there are none of these brands you mentioned available in Taiwan. But… Those pills are not rocket science, so there are many pills with the same ingredients sold under multiple names. So finding one with the same ingredients in Taiwan should be possible.

Ingredients:

Lybrel, Amethyst = levonorgestrel 0.09mg, ethinylestradiol 0.02mg

Lutera, Orsythia, Sronyx: Levonorgestrel 0.1mg Ethinylestradiol 0.02mg

Altavera, Camrese, Amethia: levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinylestradiol 0.03mg

Note: Camrese and Amethia additionally have a second pill type with only ethinyl estradiol 0.01mg. 7 of these special pills are taken after each cycle of 84 standard pills.

So, my findings in Taiwan:

1. BAYER Microgynon 30 is available in Taiwan and dirt cheap (a bit over 100NT for 21 pills). It’s levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinylestradiol 0.03mg. That is the exact same ingedients as for example Altavera, so it should be possible to be used as replacement. So what I do (well, not personally… But you know what I mean) is to buy Microgynon 30, but use the usage instructions for Altavera.

2. One thing I just started to look into is the latest developments in UK. No, not the brexit comedy, but the recommendations regarding the pill. Maybe it’s possible to use any pill continuously, for example one that one already knows to have no undesirable side effects on oneself:

https://www.fsrh.org/news/fsrh-release-updated-guidance-combined-hormonal-contraception/

3 Likes

THANK YOU so much for that!

Thanks!!! I wish I had read this before going to multiple pharmacies. Finally ended up with a pharmacist that spoke decent English and didn’t look at me like I was nuts when I mentioned was I was looking for. He took out some kinda big ass book that (I think) had lists of medications and ingredients, looked up the brands I mentioned as you did and ended up giving me the Microgynon you found. Ended up buying a few packs so I can take them continuously :slight_smile: yay

2 Likes