Birthing in Seattle

I feel this is like :flog: but here it goes:

Last year there was a very “funny romantic comedy” called From Beijing to Seattle, that based itself heavily on the rom-comn Sleepless in Seattle. It wasvery successful in the box office in China, BTW, here I think the showing was delayed, so everyone procured it from alternative media and the box office was good but not awesome if at all, as happens with most Chinese movies in Taiwan. Anyways, the story is about a woman who goes to have her lover’s son in the US.

Aside from trivializing the fact -and in spite of the handsome male protagonist, and being led my one of my favorite Chinese actresses- I did not like the movie at all. Too stiff. The hyper materialism of Chinese movies makes my skin crawl. But interestingly, they got most of the details right about the business of having kids in the US.

We Latinos are often looked down for the “anchor babies”, buit the level of organization that Asians, and particularly, Taiwanese have is really reamarkable. Driver to pick you up, alternative drop points, Chinese speaking doctors, special food delivered, the works.

Having the kid there was, for the protagonist, one more chip in the gamble with the married lover. Not only was she giving birth to a male kid, but also she was getting him a US passport. No one mentioned probably that the child would have alot of disadvantages as a single parent offspring, especially legal, in Beijing. So, in this case, it was presented as an advatanageous choice, when actually might have been a true escape.

Regarding Taiwanese people who do that, what I hear now is that they are following a trend. It is fashionable. Like the protagonist, it is something that gives them status, a step up the ladder. The sad issue, aside from the health risk and illegality, is the kind of head in clouds attitude. One of my colleagues was telling me the story of an, ehem, acquaintance. She is going next month to US to stay over to give birth to the kid there -due July I think. The family is doing well in Taiwan, both engineers, good salaries. The motivation? Everyone in her husband’s company is doing so.

Is it fear of China? The lack of opportunities here? the stagnation of salaries? The environment? Actually, the kid is seen as a tool, a real “anchor”. They are having him there so they can move to the States “later”. Plus they “have free public school”. Do they have family nearby, you know, in case you need them? She’s staying in California. Sure, they are near, there is one auntie in Indiana. :doh:

The birth and the stay is not cheap. But it is not as expensive as you would expect -a number was quoted that I am not repeating for obvious reasons. There was a time a lot of Taiwanese left for greener pastures, US has always been the goal but many fell in Latin America as a stepping stone, and that is how Icon came to meet many Taiwanese over there. This mini exodus business of borths in the US has been going on for way too many years, and the level of sophistication rivals that of the phone scam groups.

They use the kids as a way for the whole family or at least the parents to easily emigrate later on. There are other questions besides, what about if one kid has the US passport and is the golden child and the other one doesn’t.
It’s all very very materialistic but nothing new in this part of the world.
My experience is Taiwanese with US passports do tend to get treated better and have better work opportunities , plus access to the international schools, just the way society is here.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]They use the kids as a way for the whole family or at least the parents to easily emigrate later on. There are other questions besides, what about if one kid has the US passport and is the golden child and the other one doesn’t.
It’s all very very materialistic but nothing new in this part of the world.
My experience is Taiwanese with US passports do tend to get treated better and have better work opportunities , plus access to the international schools, just the way society is here.[/quote]

Yep, the one golden child. It is one thing I really want to smack women in the head for. They are the ones perpetuating the segregation: males over females, one child over another… Just because that is the way it was done does not mean it is the right way. And you cannot blame the guys for this one: the ones passing it on are mostly women. And the brain explodes if you try to point the logical fallacies behind te attitude…

Nothing new, yes, but at least, before, there was a political excuse. At least, an economic excuse. But someone who has never lived in the States using public education as te reason to take the kid… ayioo… first medical bill they get they will hightail it back to NHI.

I have seen ABC s getting both good and bad feedback, just like foreigners. And it is taken as a given that they are of a higher economic strata, even though in real material terms it may not be so. But too many have that caught between two worlds/living at the top of the blade being cut at every turn/incompatible software clash/something is missing look.

So for something as important and definying in your child’s future, to take is so… lightly…trivially…not so well thought out … is rather dissapointing.

Well, from the USA’s standpoint (or my opinion of same), this is a great deal for the US. By definition the families ain’t deadbeats, plus they’re highly motivated to train the next generation to be the same. What’s not to like?

As an American I rather admire them for their non-trivial approach to their family’s future. :shrug:

This is a big win-win … however ahem I have not seen the movie. But I would like to!

I’m not sure if it’s materialistic so much as pragmatic. There’s nothing wrong with covering all your bases. It’s easy for people like me. Purely by an accident of birth, my government gives me a funny little maroon book which allows me to walk through any port in the world with no questions asked. It’s magic. It’s like Obi-Wan doing the Jedi mind trick on the guards. I can live and work almost anywhere I choose (the places that don’t want me are places I wouldn’t want to be anyway).

It’s understandable that other people would want this freedom and will do whatever is necessary to obtain it. Wars and revolutions happen, depressions happen. Sometimes you need to make a run for it, and its a small measure of comfort to know that in the worst possible scenario, you’ve got somewhere to run to.

[quote=“finley”]I’m not sure if it’s materialistic so much as pragmatic. There’s nothing wrong with covering all your bases. It’s easy for people like me. Purely by an accident of birth, my government gives me a funny little maroon book which allows me to walk through any port in the world with no questions asked. It’s magic. It’s like Obi-Wan doing the Jedi mind trick on the guards. I can live and work almost anywhere I choose (the places that don’t want me are places I wouldn’t want to be anyway).

It’s understandable that other people would want this freedom and will do whatever is necessary to obtain it. Wars and revolutions happen, depressions happen. Sometimes you need to make a run for it, and its a small measure of comfort to know that in the worst possible scenario, you’ve got somewhere to run to.[/quote]

Yes. Some are lucky and have what Warren Buffett calls ‘Ovarian Lottery’:

businessinsider.com/warren-b … ry-2013-12