Bit Torrents and Downloaded Files

Please excuse the techie newb, but I have a question on some files I downloaded on a bit torrent. I downloaded a movie, and although it usually comes with one or two additional files this one had loads I can’t identify.

Here’s the link: [color=#800000]LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR[/color]

What are all these files?

[quote]01. domino-tmfe.nfo [221 bytes]
02. domino-tmfe.r00 [14MB]
03. domino-tmfe.r01 [14MB]
04. domino-tmfe.r02 [14MB]
05. domino-tmfe.r03 [14MB]
06. domino-tmfe.r04 [14MB]
07. domino-tmfe.r05 [14MB]
08. domino-tmfe.r06 [14MB]
09. domino-tmfe.r07 [14MB]
10. domino-tmfe.r08 [14MB]
11. domino-tmfe.r09 [14MB]
12. domino-tmfe.r10 [14MB]
13. domino-tmfe.r11 [14MB]
14. domino-tmfe.r12 [14MB]
15. domino-tmfe.r13 [14MB]
16. domino-tmfe.r14 [14MB]
17. domino-tmfe.r15 [14MB]
18. domino-tmfe.r16 [14MB]
19. domino-tmfe.r17 [14MB]
20. domino-tmfe.r18 [14MB]
21. domino-tmfe.r19 [14MB]
22. domino-tmfe.r20 [14MB]
23. domino-tmfe.r21 [14MB]
24. domino-tmfe.r22 [14MB]
25. domino-tmfe.r23 [14MB]
26. domino-tmfe.r24 [14MB]
27. domino-tmfe.r25 [14MB]
28. domino-tmfe.r26 [14MB]
29. domino-tmfe.r27 [14MB]
30. domino-tmfe.r28 [14MB]
31. domino-tmfe.r29 [14MB]
32. domino-tmfe.r30 [14MB]
33. domino-tmfe.r31 [14MB]
34. domino-tmfe.r32 [14MB]
35. domino-tmfe.r33 [14MB]
36. domino-tmfe.r34 [14MB]
37. domino-tmfe.r35 [14MB]
38. domino-tmfe.r36 [14MB]
39. domino-tmfe.r37 [14MB]
40. domino-tmfe.r38 [14MB]
41. domino-tmfe.r39 [14MB]
42. domino-tmfe.r40 [14MB]
43. domino-tmfe.r41 [14MB]
44. domino-tmfe.r42 [14MB]
45. domino-tmfe.r43 [14MB]
46. domino-tmfe.r44 [14MB]
47. domino-tmfe.r45 [14MB]
48. domino-tmfe.r46 [14MB]
49. domino-tmfe.r47 [11MB]
50. domino-tmfe.rar [14MB]
51. domino-tmfe.sfv [1KB][/quote]
I eventually saw the .rar file and unloaded it, so I can watch the movie, but what are all these .r00, .r01 etc files? Also have no idea what a .sfv or .nfo file is… :s

Can anyone enlighten me??

You can see this article for a little intro, but it may not help much: ehow.com/how_5046751_open-rar-files.html

I think the rar files are split into different files so that if, for some reason, one of them gets corrupted, you only have to re-download that one smaller file rather than the large original file you’re trying to watch (a movie perhaps).

the nfo file is general information about the file you’re downloading, and it can be viewed with a text editor like notepad.

The movie is split into different parts and RaRed up. Dowload, then unRar, and throw away all the Rar parts and keep the reassembled movie only. :slight_smile:

So why do people split them into a million little rar files rather than just one big file? I just find that it’s easy to lose track of them…

The original reason was that shared files (typically PC software, not the 700MB size of movies) were historically split up to more easily facilitate dissemination on smaller media (floppies). Used to be not uncommon to find “warez” split in 1.44MB and 2.88MB chunks, as well as other sizes corresponding to things like ZIP disks.

Nowadays distribution in chunks is for many reasons. One of the main reasons is that some folks do not download through resume-capable systems (we’re not talking about bittorrent of course). Thus it would make a lot more sense to have a download broken up into chunks so if your download stopped or your internet connection flaked out, you’d only lose the progress on whatever chunk you were working on. See here (Slyck guide on rar). Another reason is chunking makes it easier to perform parity error correction. See here (slyck guide on par).

Bittorrent is a terrible medium to download pirated content from, not only because it is slow but you have to upload, which exposes you to liability for illegal redistribution. The best medium for pirating content? LIBRARIES :laughing:

[quote=“jashsu”]Bittorrent is a terrible medium to download pirated content from, not only because it is slow but you have to upload, which exposes you to liability for illegal redistribution. The best medium for pirating content? LIBRARIES :laughing:[/quote]Don’t you mean AWESOMEST / FASTEST medium?!? LIBRARY?!?! Which library am I going to find the most recent episode of CSI, NCIS, NCIS-LA, Lost, available three hours after airing in the US, HD quality, No commercials, downloaded complete within 10 minutes of starting (due to my fast connection, all without leaving the comfort of my own living room?

Liability? Yeah, but just use an anonymous proxy and that takes care of that. :bravo:

Hurray, we can have such a discussion on 'mosa! I remember the good old days when you were being hit with a real big stone (or stabbed with a sharp mango), when someone only started to say “torrent”.

“Last night I almost drowned in that torrent in Kaoshiung.” Wooosh. Temped. :smiley:

Now we can say it. “Torrent, torrent, download, torrent, torrent, isoh…” No wait, I am not that brave.

So just unrar the .rar file, should work.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Hurray, we can have such a discussion on 'mosa! I remember the good old days when you were being hit with a real big stone (or stabbed with a sharp mango), when someone only started to say “torrent”.

“Last night I almost drowned in that torrent in Kaoshiung.” Wooosh. Temped. :smiley:

Now we can say it. “Torrent, torrent, download, torrent, torrent, isoh…” No wait, I am not that brave.

So just unrar the .rar file, should work.[/quote]Really? Oops! :blush: However, Bittorrent is an excellent resource for sharing large files of any type. It’s NOT ONLY associated with piracy, which I would never advocate, and I myself, would never engage in!

errr… cough… cough… of course, of course, mei wenti, I would also never, I mean, really never. And it’s true, you can download Linux ISO files, SciFi fan productions, all legal. All legal. Zende!

No, no I don’t. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the helpful replies, folks. :thumbsup:
I just unloaded the .rar file and the movie works fine.

Re: Piracy
I also don’t advocate piracy and I’m one of those “fools” that buys all my programs. I also buy and rent DVDs etc, but there are some you just can’t find in Taiwan. In such a case I do download the file, but when I’m in a position to support the film makers I definitely do so.

I see piracy by people who otherwise would buy a product as a perfectly valid method of protest. All of the copyright laws are protecting the old guard. They hold together business models that are not suitable for the digital era. Pirating something you would usually buy sends the messages to the content creator that you enjoy their product but they need to rethink their distribution and marketing strategies before you would pay for it.

I’d buy a lot more, for example via amazon.uk, if not for region coding of DVDs. I used to buy more, but then my first region-free DVD player died, and I had enough hassle finding a new one that I also gave up buying other-region DVDs. I got pretty annoyed those months between players, having a DVD library that was half-unwatchable.

Plus Lost is so much more fun when I can watch it at the same time (roughly) as North America, and waste time online with all the theories and guesses for what’s going on.

I’m very eager for the day I can just pay to stream any movie or TV episode to my TV, even though it’ll cost me far more than cable ever did.

It’s a moral gray area.
My take in it is if you download stuff and sell it, you’re an ass, otherwise I’m all for open-source.
But that’s just my opinion.

Mr.B, people use to split files in the old days to compensate for bad Internet connections. (You know,… like the ones still used in SA).
It’s more convenient to re-download a bad copy of a small file than to download the whole thing again.

[quote=“lostinasia”]I’d buy a lot more, for example via amazon.uk, if not for region coding of DVDs. I used to buy more, but then my first region-free DVD player died, and I had enough hassle finding a new one that I also gave up buying other-region DVDs. I got pretty annoyed those months between players, having a DVD library that was half-unwatchable.[/quote]Region free DVD players are extremely easy to find. You need to go to Hsi-Men Ting and go over to the camera / TV / electronics area. Every shop sells DVD players and according to one customer service rep, they ALL are region free because Taiwanese won’t buy them region coded! Here’s a business card of where I go to get my region free DVD players. Their only about $1,400 each!

Not really because in doing that you’re breaking your contract with DirectTV by “re-broadcasting” content outside the subscribed residence, as well as your ISP’s terms of service for sunning* a “server” on a non-commercial rate plan.

All you’re doing is exchanging one infraction - copyright infringement, with several breech of contract ones.

And I hope you aren’t using that DVR to skip commercials because your monthly DirectTV sub is priced at a subsidized rate which is offset by anticipated advertising revenues :wink:

Edit: *sunning a server? Hope it’s using appropriate suntan lotion :doh:

Not really because in doing that you’re breaking your contract with DirectTV by “re-broadcasting” content outside the subscribed residence, as well as your ISP’s terms of service for sunning a “server” on a non-commercial rate plan.

All you’re doing is exchanging one infraction - copyright infringement, with several breech of contract ones.

And I hope you aren’t using that DVR to skip commercials because your monthly DirectTV sub is priced at a subsidized rate which is offset by anticipated advertising revenues :wink:[/quote]
Damn! What happened to the customer is always right? :fume:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”]Region free DVD players are extremely easy to find. You need to go to Hsi-Men Ting and go over to the camera / TV / electronics area. Every shop sells DVD players and according to one customer service rep, they ALL are region free because Taiwanese won’t buy them region coded! Here’s a business card of where I go to get my region free DVD players. Their only about $1,400 each!

[quote=“lostinasia”][/quote][/quote]I’m not sure about them ALL being region free. But that is the area to look for them. Quite a few shops in that area to choose from.

[quote=“Rik”]Not really because in doing that you’re breaking your contract with DirectTV by “re-broadcasting” content outside the subscribed residence, as well as your ISP’s terms of service for running a “server” on a non-commercial rate plan.

And I hope you aren’t using that DVR to skip commercials because your monthly DirectTV sub is priced at a subsidized rate which is offset by anticipated advertising revenues :wink:[/quote]No, I’m not doing any of these things, except skipping commercials of course. I’ve already checked with DirectTV and my ISP. It’s my subscription service and I have every right to view my TV service wherever I may be. I just don’t have a right to rent out or install mutiple Havas and charge others or even share my TV service with others for free. Falls under the “fair use” laws regarding copyright. Also, streaming content doesn’t make your ISP connection a server. You’re just joking anyway, right?

Why proxy? You aren’t in Taiwan?

Since DVD Region came up and Sony produced broken CD’s on purpose (so you can’t copy them with more sensitive PC Recorders (well, they stopped doing it a few years ago)) its gotten only worse with DMCA and all that nonsense. Luckily we’re in Taiwan so I don’t need to feel guilty when I copy my own DVD or CD’s.

Here is what is considered illegal and what you can do about it:

• Your DVD has broken. Illegal: You download the same DVD by a torrent/emule.
    Legal option: Buy the new DVD and pay 100% of its price.
  • You grow up in Europe, you have a collection of many DVD’s. You marry a Taiwanese move to Taiwan. None of your DVD’s work here or in relatives home. Illegal solution: Buy a region Free Player or hack one.
    Legal option: Buy the new DVD and pay 100% of its price (if you can find some German language movies here for this region).
  • You buy a lot of CD’s. Illegal: You turn them into MP3’s to listen to them while on the road.
    You copied them!!! Its against the “contract” written INSIDE the sleeve (which you couldn’t see when buying it).
    Legal Option: Pay for excess hand luggage and take all CD’s with you when you travel.

Fair use? Only if you go to court.
Most popular story to date about it:
wired.com/threatlevel/2008/0 … rsal-says/

Oh. Blu-Ray has also regions. But only 3. And its only software.