Nepal is not all pristine, mountain shangri-la. Kathmandu is one of the most polluted, or perhaps the most polluted city, I’ve ever visited. The smog is far worse than Taipei. The rivers are full of trash and the remains of cremated bodies.
According to the wikipedia article someone linked previously, the cause of anencephaly – what that freakish alien baby suffered from – is unknown. Maybe environmental, maybe genetic, maybe hostile Gods, no one knows.
[quote]Anencephaly is a cephalic disorder that results from a neural tube defect . . . resulting in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull, and scalp. . .
Infants born with anencephaly are usually blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. . . There is no cure or standard treatment for anencephaly and the prognosis for affected individuals is poor. Most anencephalic babies do not survive birth. If the infant is not stillborn, then he or she will usually die within a few hours or days after birth. . .
In the United States, approximately 1,000 to 2,000 babies are born with anencephaly each year. Female babies are more likely to be affected by the disorder. About 95% of women who learn that they will have an anencephalic baby choose to have an abortion. Of the remaining 5%, about 55% are stillborn. The rest usually live only a few hours or days. . .
The cause of anencephaly is unknown[/quote]