Bizarre English names - Part 2

Name tag at a diner: Mountain Gu

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

A Swiss by the name Klem.
Introduced himself with tagline. Like the drink, milk, spelt backward.

1 Like

Hehe

Two coworkers who are sisters from my workplace:
The last name is Tseng.
One is Jessica Tseng, the other Monica Tseng.

They’re no less bizarre in Japanese, since they would have roughly the same meaning.
There’s a Japanese comedian named Aiko Tanaka. You should look her up on YouTube.

One of her best lines was, “My name is Aiko Tanaka. Aiko means ‘love child.’ I looked that up in the dictionary, and it said ‘bastard.’ Tanaka means ‘in the rice field.’ So my whole name means, ‘bastard in the rice field.’”

I’m so glad this thread exists.

Top 3 in my first year here.

-Window
-Dopey
-Pig

All girls.
Honestly… In terms of dating I would have to make a strong effort to get them to change their name before ever introducing them to my family. Perhaps a forgotten Seinfeld episode?

Grandma: So what’s her name?
Me: Pig.
Grandma: What?
Me: Pig.
Grandma: You’re dating a pig?
Me: No. Grandma… She’s… She’s Taiwanese.
Grandma: You’re dating a Taiwanese pig?
Me: Yes!
Grandma: . . . . I don’t like it.

1 Like

Exactly!

:eek:

Dare I ask where the latter worked?

I’ve met quite a few rich wives that call themselves names like coco for coco Chanel and brands like that.

The “Idiots” thread is absolutely the correct place to discuss the English naming situation here in Taiwan, although I think it’s separate from and not as bad as the stupid names native speakers select for their children.

I’ve heard a lot of strange names here, but (at the risk of being called a China shill :wink:) China is still the best for them. I’ve actually met a Gandalf.

1 Like

I’ve known a couple of rich kids named after luxury car brands.

Why!!!

Yup, knew a few kids as well. Mercedes is common, but that’s like a stripper name lol.

One women made her husband call himself Louis, pronounced the French way.

1 Like

Or not.

Your point being?

I guess “Idiots” wasn’t the best place to discuss this after all :rofl:

1 Like

They obviously aren’t that cultured to be thinking of Mercedes in that way. It is a common stripper name in the US. And they’re going around saying his English name is “Louis” when they can’t speak a word of French and can’t even pronounce it correctly or know anything past Louis Vuitton. It typical 土豪 stuff.

at least they are not Monica and Veronica, or Konica and Monica

I defer to your expertise. :bowing:

It was good enough for Mr. Armstrong. No need to get all hoity-toity about it, Monsieur. :face_with_monocle:

I think his point is that Louis Armstrong wasn’t named after a manbag. The thought process matters. If Kennedy had sent men to the moon in order to secure US self-sufficiency in cheese, that would have made the whole thing stupid, even if the goal itself was impressive.

I don’t think most Mercedeses were named after strippers either, but I might be wrong. :cactus:

No … they were named after a car typically purchased by the sort of man who frequents stripclubs. So not far off.

When I was in Australia I’ve met a Chinese guy who has chosen his English first name to be Beethoven.

1 Like