Bizarre English names - Part 2

Good morning Good Morning

you can add “Red” “Sin” and “Pageant” to the list (all boys)

on the girls side we have “Pegasus”

Our new class of yunguns this year includes a ‘Posh’ and a “lyric”, both boys.

Damn!! :roflmao:

A guy named Winifred.

Today I get a mail from a supplier in China. The guys name was Zero. Now I just need to find someone called Hero, so they can get in touch.

Today I get a mail from a supplier in China. The guys name was Zero. Now I just need to find someone called Hero, so they can get in touch.

Was just watching “大學生了沒” on TV at a lunch shop. One of the students on the show (chubby, male) called himself “Juicy”.

Sounds like a name assigned to him by a bignose english teacher with a mean sense of humour.

Well, if a lion took a bite out of him, he probably would be. :roflmao:

Sounds like a name assigned to him by a bignose english teacher with a mean sense of humour.[/quote]
Recently, speaking with adult students about their bizarre names, I’ve come to realise that most of these guys (and girls) actually choose these names themselves. Kind of like Laowais with odd names in Chinese. They’re often quite aware of the meaning, but oblivious to how it doesn’t quite make sense. In this case, it may be because he admires Japanese Kamikaze pilots or something. :idunno:

Friend of mine just told me about a colleague called “Vpopo”. He actually has a complicated reason for calling himself this, apparently. :loco:

Girl at the gym today was called “Yoyo”. She was so small it did occur to me that she would indeed be ideal for keeping in one’s pocket, to be taken out and bounced up and down during idle moments.

[quote=“finley”]
Girl at the gym today was called “Yoyo”. She was so small it did occur to me that she would indeed be ideal for keeping in one’s pocket, to be taken out and bounced up and down during idle moments.[/quote]

The teddy bear I’ve had since I was 2 or 3 is called Yo-Yo! :smiley:

On a slightly odd note, I’ve got a student named ‘Yasmin’. Perfectly normal name, but she complains that her (American) English teacher insists on calling her ‘Jasmine’. :eh:

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”][quote=“finley”]
Girl at the gym today was called “Yoyo”. She was so small it did occur to me that she would indeed be ideal for keeping in one’s pocket, to be taken out and bounced up and down during idle moments.[/quote]

The teddy bear I’ve had since I was 2 or 3 is called Yo-Yo! :smiley:

On a slightly odd note, I’ve got a student named ‘Yasmin’. Perfectly normal name, but she complains that her (American) English teacher insists on calling her ‘Jasmine’. :eh:[/quote]
:roflmao: I have a student called Jasmine and for shits and giggles I call her Yasmin!

I hope poor Yo-Yo wasn’t subjected to the sort of ill-use I was considering for YoYo.

I had to look it up, but apparently Yasmin and Jasmine have the same etymology, and depending on dialect the ‘Y’ might have been pronounced ‘J’ anyway. So you’re all technically correct, even those of you who are wrong. 這裡就是台灣ㄚ!

I hope poor Yo-Yo wasn’t subjected to the sort of ill-use I was considering for YoYo.

I had to look it up, but apparently Yasmin and Jasmine have the same etymology, and depending on dialect the ‘Y’ might have been pronounced ‘J’ anyway. So you’re all technically correct, even those of you who are wrong. 這裡就是台灣ㄚ![/quote]

Yup, it’s exactly the same name, just different pronunciations. Technically the name’s Yasmin and comes from the Middle-East, I think it was taken to Spain where the spelling changed and then went on through western Europe as Jasmine. In Eastern Europe the name usually appears as Yasmine.

Bis, do you teach at Shengkong?! O.o;

Yo-yo is pretty common in Taiwan. It’s like a baby name (You-you).

Taiwan has these infant names like Youyou and Weiwei. I’ve seen lots of Weiwei kids get English names Winnie, Wayney, or Vivi. There’s a few others I can’t remember.

Nope. Why?

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Yo-yo is pretty common in Taiwan. It’s like a baby name (You-you).

Taiwan has these infant names like Youyou and Weiwei. I’ve seen lots of Weiwei kids get English names Winnie, Wayney, or Vivi. There’s a few others I can’t remember.[/quote]
Yeah, they go around calling my boy Hua Hua.

Just sorting out a pile of business cards and came across some bozo calling himself “Spin”. No, he’s not in PR (or washing machines).

Names of friends ( they selected their names themselves):
Bizarre ? No.
Creative ? Don’t think too much

• Rambo (1.55 cm tall)
  • Shumacher ( drives a scooter)
  • Cash (…gambled, mahjong)
  • Winnie (mmmm… No comment)
  • SIR :astonished: Seriously ?

I’ve had a guy called Amigo for a while in class and today I got a new girl. She says she has a Mexican friend that helped her pick her name, but I think she misheard or misunderstood something. Her name is Amingo. :doh:

Another new girl in another class calls herself Eating in English, because her Chinese name is Chen Yiting. :slight_smile:

New student, his name is Lego (yes, like legos, the building blocks)

another: Shabu

another: Moon-face (yes, since she says her face is ‘like the moon’)