Bizarre English names - Part 2

Aisha.

And he was a guy.

I’ve got not one, but two students named Shine. Both dudes.

[quote=“LPeterC”][quote=“bismarck”]New adult student on Sunday.

Me: What’s your name?
New Guy: Javen
Me: Where’d you get that name?
New Guy: I made it myself.
Me: :doh:[/quote]
[color=#FF0000]
In the States
[/color], it is not unusual to see strange, self-invented names. Don’t see anything wrong with that. Why is it only correct to use religious names, made up by some ancient people out of their own fancy?

Google, you will find plenty of Javen.’
Javen | Name Meaning & Origin | Boy Name Javen | Baby Names World
Popularity Rank of Javen US top 1000 names since 1880

Javen - Rankings by Year
Year Boys
2007 977
2006 954
2004 937
2003 922
2002 900[/quote]
Well this is a thread for Bizarre English names. Most American names would count, especially the batty shit some of those American celebs come up with. :wink:

And go ahead, call your kid Javen. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I’m quite happy with calling mine Josh (Joshua Alexander). :2cents: :wink:

The insidious influence of K-pop. The correct spelling is SHINee.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Well this is a thread for Bizarre English names. Most American names would count, especially the batty shit some of those American celebs come up with. :wink:

And go ahead, call your kid Javen. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I’m quite happy with calling mine Josh (Joshua Alexander). :2cents: :wink:[/quote]

While many of these examples are humorous, I doubt that these ridiculous (or bizarre) names will haunt many Taiwanese people for their entire life. First of all, students tend to change their English names at will (either randomly or due to the influence of a “fortune-teller” who changes their Chinese name and resulting, phonetically-derived, English moniker). Secondly, have you tried asking a typical Taiwanese person their English name? (By typical, I mean the bank teller, taxi driver, laborer, clerk, or random stranger that you would meet in the course of a normal day). In my experience, very few remember the English “name” they were assigned or selected in their youth. Thirdly, in terms of all practical purposes, Taiwanese credit cards, or documents prepared for international use, will normally state the person’s Chinese name in romanized form.

Consider the poor foreigner who is forced to adopt a Chinese name in order to open a bank account. Fresh off the boat, my boss took the time to attempt to translate my name to a relatively normal-sounding, yet phonetically similar, Chinese equivalent which had an auspicious meaning. Nevertheless, it ultimately brings chuckles wherever it is seen/heard. My response to this situation, which seems similar to those of certain individuals in posts mentioned above, is to refer to myself as Mr. Wang. When asked for further clarification, I inform them that my Chinese name is 王八蛋.

:roflmao: Brilliant!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don’t say it to anybody, but I happen to know someone who likes to call himself “Dick Wang”…

Imagine if we introduced ourselves to random Taiwanese and expats by our Forumosa handles! :smiley:

A first-grade girl: “Cute.”
A first-grade boy: “Red Sheep.”

Lin Join-sane

scmp.com/news/china/article/ … stral-home

Better put the hyphen in the right place and don’t pause after “Jo”…

Twenty something woman: Jessic (Yes, Jessic, but with no “a” :unamused: )
Twenty something guy: Vald (Not that unusual, but I have fun calling him Vlad.)
Junior high girls: Barbie :smiley: :thumbsup: , Cabrella, Vika, Shion and of course, a shit load of Apples!

“Homo” I didn’t explain. I am used to candy, honey and etc. Homo kind of set me back but such is what such is. But some other asshole teacher did and I never saw him again.

Fangpi.

Collar.

Alright, that’s a dog. Still darn weird.

Guy called Ching.

First name “Ka”?

Programmer today (male) called “Cater”. Perhaps he worked in a restaurant in a former life.

First name “Ka”?

Programmer today (male) called “Cater”. Perhaps he worked in a restaurant in a former life.[/quote]

First name “Edu”? Perhaps he can be a teacher instead.

A girl named Soapy.

At first I thought she meant Sophie, but further clarification revealed that no, her English name really is Soapy.

Lemon

Hammer Wang.